Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2015, 09:40 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,577,071 times

Advertisements

Brazil; forget that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2015, 04:25 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,339,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Books in the library are free!

Employers frown upon self-taught accountants and lawyers.

Old 05-16-2015, 05:36 AM

1,309 posts, read 1,153,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
And a lot of the liberals too.

Sorry, but have you read most of the OPs on this forum? The Politics forum is mostly for poo flinging on both sides. I'm not trying to sound high and might since I engage in it as well, but don't act like the Left-Wingers on this forum are some kind of brain trust.

I can name names, but since it is against the rules of the forum I am not going to name them.
You lose credibility claiming the racist right wing nutjobs are in anyway decent people and comparing them to the liberal users. While this forum has some uninformed liberal users, none of them advocate banning gay marriage, banning abortion, poll taxes, invading Iran and deporting every single illegal immigrant. You're not evenhanded as your "Libertine Libertarian" handle would indicate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Says the poster who added nothing to the discussion. Without conservatives on these forums, it'll be nothing but a circle jerk fest with no real discussion..

Like 1st graders all shouting "you got cooties".. ahhh, the irony..
Tea Partiers believe dinosaurs never existed, a book written 2000 years ago to keep peasants in line is the ultimate authority on our universe's origins, gay people are evil, people should have to pay to vote and what women do to their bodies is the business of the government. Conservatives live in their own bubble, aided by their enabler Rush Limbaugh to never understand their own stupidity or ignorance. It's probably a nice place to live but its not reality.

Old 05-16-2015, 06:17 AM

34,248 posts, read 19,252,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolZombie View Post
You lose credibility claiming the racist right wing nutjobs are in anyway decent people and comparing them to the liberal users. While this forum has some uninformed liberal users, none of them advocate banning gay marriage, banning abortion, poll taxes, invading Iran and deporting every single illegal immigrant. You're not evenhanded as your "Libertine Libertarian" handle would indicate.

Tea Partiers believe dinosaurs never existed, a book written 2000 years ago to keep peasants in line is the ultimate authority on our universe's origins, gay people are evil, people should have to pay to vote and what women do to their bodies is the business of the government. Conservatives live in their own bubble, aided by their enabler Rush Limbaugh to never understand their own stupidity or ignorance. It's probably a nice place to live but its not reality.
*raises hand
Actually I am all for banning every single illegal immigrant. And most here consider me a liberal. Other then that small detail you're correct.

Old 05-16-2015, 07:00 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,856,248 times
Quote:
First, I am not even on good terms with a lot of the right-wingers on this board. I was called a "despicable human being" by one of them on an abortion thread yesterday. I have spoken for support of drug legalization, support for no limits on abortion, called George W Bush "the worst President in living memory", support for gay marriage, I have attacked police brutality, and (albeit lukewarm) support for the abolition of capital punishment.

Yeah, I'm super conservative. Here is one of my threads that surely sounds like it would come right from the mouth of Sean Hannity:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...ro-choice.html

Second, not all conservative members on this forum are anywhere near as extreme as you mention and not all of them take those positions. Some of them are even somewhat nuanced in their views.

Third, I have seen liberals and "Progressives" call for censorship of opposing political views, call for the outlawing of tobacco (because the current War on Drugs is such a success and Prohibition is another success), call for "fat taxes", call for sending the military to go around confiscating firearms from the populace and killing anyone who resists, defend Communism and suggest that the US should give it a go, display a complete lack of understanding of the most basic principles of economics, and the nearly cultish devotion some left-wingers have for President Obama.

Sorry, but there are more than a few stupid, ignorant, and even evil Lefties on this forum.

Old 05-16-2015, 12:07 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,481,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Employers frown upon self-taught accountants and lawyers.
Who said anything about being an employee? You can totally work for yourself.

Old 05-16-2015, 12:09 PM

Quote:

You mean like pot calling kettle black?

Old 05-16-2015, 12:12 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,339,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Who said anything about being an employee? You can totally work for yourself.

Good luck being a self-taught lawyer.

Old 05-16-2015, 12:15 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,430,444 times
Q: Why is minimum wage the focus of so many arguments?
Why isn't maximum wage, the compensation of top executives the center of debate?
(Executives today make 10 times more than 30 years ago for similar positions and 1000 times of what low paid workers at their company make). Why aren't conservatives alarmed by struggling companies that pay millions to executives even when financial performance is mediocre at best?

Old 05-16-2015, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
Q: Why is minimum wage the focus of so many arguments?
Why isn't maximum wage, the compensation of top executives the center of debate?
(Executives today makr 10 times more than 30 years ago for similar positions and 1000 times of what low paid workers at their company make).

Because America is not a communist country. How an employee is compensated is none of your business unless you are the owner of the company or an shareholder.

Go ahead and pass a law to limit max compensation. Then we can watch all the corporations move their headquarters oversea and start hiring foreigners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies