Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2015, 03:18 PM

18,454 posts, read 7,086,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Good luck being a self-taught lawyer.
Who says you have to be a lawyer?
God knows we have enough of them already.

There are still skilled trades you can learn without college. (and there'd probably be a lot more if there weren't so many illegals here)

Will you get rich doing them? Probably not, unless you eventually use the experience to start your own business. People who invest in themselves enough to be confident in their own abilities and take risks tend to earn more money.

But you will likely have a chance to make a decent enough living to be considered middle class someday.

And the chance to succeed is all you can ask for....the rest is up to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2015, 03:26 PM

18,454 posts, read 7,086,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
Q: Why is minimum wage the focus of so many arguments?
Why isn't maximum wage, the compensation of top executives the center of debate?
(Executives today make 10 times more than 30 years ago for similar positions and 1000 times of what low paid workers at their company make). Why aren't conservatives alarmed by struggling companies that pay millions to executives even when financial performance is mediocre at best?

Because while it may be morally objectionable on some levels, it is unavoidable under our laws.

I'm not sure I could think of a law that would be more contrary to our system of government than limiting how much money someone can make.

Old 05-16-2015, 04:39 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,458,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Because America is not a communist country. How an employee is compensated is none of your business unless you are the owner of the company or an shareholder.

Go ahead and pass a law to limit max compensation. Then we can watch all the corporations move their headquarters oversea and start hiring foreigners.
Then why the 10-$12 minimum wage bothers you?
I am also (a small) investor in a couple companies and don't think $10M bonuses benefit the company. Nobody is going to work more/better/efficient/harder if they ONLY made $1M and now they got (a raise) to $10M...Its counterproductive. But I we can tell that many low income workers will work harder (if payed $15 instead $10).
A CEO (and the other gang) wont bring more revenue/profits even if you pay them One Trillion.
Yet here we are, discussing (again) the $10-$15 an hour....

Old 05-16-2015, 05:11 PM

781 posts, read 736,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Why are you surprised? Take a look at the IQ by state.
That progressives are delusional? I'm not.

Old 05-16-2015, 05:23 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,561,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
Then why the 10-$12 minimum wage bothers you?
I am also (a small) investor in a couple companies and don't think $10M bonuses benefit the company. Nobody is going to work more/better/efficient/harder if they ONLY made $1M and now they got (a raise) to $10M...Its counterproductive. But I we can tell that many low income workers will work harder (if payed $15 instead $10).
A CEO (and the other gang) wont bring more revenue/profits even if you pay them One Trillion.
Yet here we are, discussing (again) the $10-$15 an hour....
It bothers me when you guys put a gun on employers' heads and force them to pay. It wouldn't bother me if the said employers chose to pay higher wages.

Remember someone named Steve Jobs? When he came back to Apple, it was going down the drain. Years later it is the most valuable company in the world. He saved apple and millions of jobs. Many many CEOs are like that. Maybe not at that grand scale but they do make a difference.

Old 05-16-2015, 05:58 PM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Most of us knew this intuitively, it's real hard to get smart people to vote against their own self interest, but I love the graphic, I think I will put it on Facebook, thank you!

Old 05-16-2015, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Because America is not a communist country. How an employee is compensated is none of your business unless you are the owner of the company or an shareholder.

Go ahead and pass a law to limit max compensation. Then we can watch all the corporations move their headquarters oversea and start hiring foreigners.
You haven't noticed that they are already doing this no matter how much of a big wet kiss we give them?

Old 05-16-2015, 06:02 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,367,374 times
Quote:
It must be the liberal concentrations in cities causing it, since most high school dropouts and minimum wage workers vote Democrat and most people making over $50k vote Republican it's clear the best and the brightest aren't voting (D). It's no wonder the democrats support wealth redistribution either since it won't be coming out of their pockets.

Old 05-16-2015, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
It must be the liberal concentrations in cities causing it, since most high school dropouts and minimum wage workers vote Democrat and most people making over $50k vote Republican it's clear the best and the brightest aren't voting (D). It's no wonder the democrats support wealth redistribution either since it won't be coming out of their pockets.
sorry that won't work, the data was right in front of you, dumber people vote Republican, sorry if it hurts

Old 05-16-2015, 06:18 PM

7,214 posts, read 9,392,923 times
Quote:
How does a CEO screw over people?

As far as I can see, the liberal are screwing the poor for vote yet the poor continue to vote for them.
Go back to the start of the Great Recession and you'll get the answer to your own question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies