Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 09:51 AM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
LOL. Let me say this again. It's not the employers don't want to pay more, it is that the position or work isn't worth that much.

Any prudent person including you would not pay more than above fair market rate, would you?
No, it means that the Federal Government enables employers to pay LESS than market rates by providing earned income tax credits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2015, 09:54 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,559,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
we aren't competing with Indian fast food joints, are we?
Seriously? First of all, if you think McDonald's is not competing with their food joints over there, then you must be kidding. Secondly, competition is often not that direct because McDonald's is a very complex global corporation. I would not be surprised to hear that many parts of McDonald's are outsourced to India.

Old 05-18-2015, 09:55 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,559,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
No, it means that the Federal Government enables employers to pay LESS than market rates by providing earned income tax credits.
Then stop the "earned income tax credits!"

Old 05-18-2015, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Seriously? First of all, if you think McDonald's is not competing with their food joints over there, then you must be kidding. Secondly, competition is often not that direct because McDonald's is a very complex global corporation. I would not be surprised to hear that many parts of McDonald's are outsourced to India.
You had to have known what I meant, if not there is no sense at all trying to explain it to you

Old 05-18-2015, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Then stop the "earned income tax credits!"
I have emailed my congressional reps repeatedly and suggested that, what have you done about it?

Old 05-18-2015, 01:27 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,364,321 times
Quote:
We can't stay isolated, can we?

As we are going global, the more you push for the minimum wage, the more jobs will go to oversea. How can we compete with "slave wage" in India with our $10-$15/hour? Instead of pushing for the minimum wage, we should be pushing people to learn and upgrade their skills and work ethics.
The vast majority of jobs that can be farmed out...have. Your point it pretty minor at best.

Old 05-18-2015, 01:34 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,605,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
The vast majority of jobs that can be farmed out...have. Your point it pretty minor at best.
The only jobs that can't be farmed out are "service" jobs. You can't have someone overseas pick up your garbage, paint your house, mend your arm, drill your teeth, replace the compressor on your car or any other thing that must be done in person.

Every job that doesn't require a person physically on-site is a job that can go overseas.

Old 05-18-2015, 02:14 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,364,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
The only jobs that can't be farmed out are "service" jobs. You can't have someone overseas pick up your garbage, paint your house, mend your arm, drill your teeth, replace the compressor on your car or any other thing that must be done in person.

Every job that doesn't require a person physically on-site is a job that can go overseas.
And just how many of those are left? The answer? not many.

Thats kind of my entire point

Old 05-19-2015, 02:00 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,273,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Evidence? Sure. Is it possible to raise a family, buy a house, pay for medical insurance and save for retirement on minimum wage? I'd say no. Since that is the goal of most adults, that would be the proof as to why only students, people looking for second jobs and people starting should be maintaining minimum wage jobs.

Where did the $7800 dollars come from? I already told you, it would come from INVESTING with your time working that extra weekend job, like cleaning houses, on top of the 40 hour minimum wage job the other days.

It's not everyone else's responsibility to give you the drive, ambition and work ethic to move ahead. It's up to the individual. If you work a minimum wage job, and you're attitude is, "Why should I get a second job, my job at Burger King should pay me enough", well, it's obvious while you are going to be a failure.
That is the goal of most adults so you have a poll of what most adults want? It is hard to take you serious when all you do is throw out assumptions You do realize that some people just are not smart enough have the abilities to move up so telling them to move up does nothing. They should not need to get a second job the whole point of min wage and a work week is so people could make enough to live on.

Old 05-19-2015, 02:03 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,273,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Most all McDonald's are franchises, not part of the multi-national conglomerate that people make it out to be.

So, when you tell them to take it out of their profits, it's not coming from the CEO of McDonald's, but rather from the individual franchise owners.

Now, some of these owners are bigger and richer than others and some can absorb these increses in labor costs....but some cannot.

The fact is, businesses cannot succeed by continually absorbing increases in the cost of doing business. ... Most business owners know this, so they have to pass them along to the consumer or find other ways to cut costs by cutting labor, benefits or increasing automation.

And BTW ....who are the main consumers of fast food? Hint: It aint rich people. So, the people your trying to help are the ones who ultimately end up bearing the cost.

Also, you have to remember that the vast majority of businesses in America are small businesses with less than 20 employees, so the stereotypical meme about some big fat cat CEO getting rich off the backs of poor minimum wages workers slaving to support a family is largely mythical left wing clap trap.
So because it is a franchise that means they can not make a lot of money? There must be a bunch of bad franchise owners out there if they can not make money when they are handed an established business like McDonalds to own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies