Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 08:08 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,476,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"Aside from all the general disrespect shown to the protocols that should be observed when displaying or flying the flag"

Explain what "protocols" were violated.

"
to fly a nations flag from the filthy bed of a dang pick-up truck!"

Did yo bother to even LOOK at the picture of the truck? I doubt it.

I am FOR respect of the flag, I fly mine 24/7 and find NOTHING wrong with what these kids did.

The school "administrator" should be fired.
Oh for crying out loud I've been doing nothing but discussing the protocols involved for the last ten posts or so. Read the darn things and the provided links that explain them in detail and then get back to me.

The picture of the truck? How is that in any way relevant? I saw a clean truck, so what? Every Legion Hall or VFW hall I've ever been in had a clean floor but no flag was ever allowed to touch it! Your point being what exactly?

Excerpted from "US flag rules and regulations act of 1942":

"It should never touch anything beneath it, such as the ground, the floor, water, or merchandise."

"It should never be carried flat or horizontally, but always aloft and free."

"It should never be fastened, displayed, used, or stored so that it might be easily torn, soiled, or damaged in any way."

Yep; being used as a display while the kid perhaps flies along an interstate on his way to school to then leave the thing hanging onto the floor of his pick up all day unable to "wave freely" is observing all the little niceties of flag protocols as you so incorrectly surmise.

You are (or should be) aware also that if the kid takes the precaution to warp the flag (as you would a sail in high winds) using bungees to prevent it from beating itself to death on his drive to school, he's breaking one of the very biggies in flag rules of your nation. The flag should also not be hung in inclement weather or in such a manner that it risks getting soiled or otherwise subjected to mistreatment. May I presume to ask; do you or this kid run outdoors to lower it "ceremoniously" accordingly?...What in the blue blazes, may I ask, do you not understand about all of this?

I won't bother to bore you with all of the hoisting and lowering rules that I damn sure doubt (and witnessed in the video) were being observed here, especially by the one car passenger holding the thing from the window of a car while it dragged on the ground. Do you for one second suppose that particular flag ended up being folded properly or simply tossed to lay across the back seat of the car while they sauntered into class? But of course it's all good because they're being patriotic. Cripes!

OR the rules as they apply to the flag being flown oriented in relation to other pennants. As you have already pointed out, you're all for respect of the flag and see nothing wrong here....right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2015, 09:37 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
When I was younger and still lived in Sweden, we were going through similar issues you do here in the US now. We couldn't sing the Swedish national anthem in school because it would be considered racist. Wearing the Swedish flag on you, on your car, on your patio...you name it...would be racist. I , at the time always use to say " in The USA, people of any color wear the US flag. Nobody is accusing them of being too patriotic."

Old 05-16-2015, 09:49 PM

21,097 posts, read 19,692,053 times
It's never too soon for students to learn that their schools are run by a bunch of anti-American liberals.

Old 05-17-2015, 06:28 AM

58,958 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Oh for crying out loud I've been doing nothing but discussing the protocols involved for the last ten posts or so. Read the darn things and the provided links that explain them in detail and then get back to me.

The picture of the truck? How is that in any way relevant? I saw a clean truck, so what? Every Legion Hall or VFW hall I've ever been in had a clean floor but no flag was ever allowed to touch it! Your point being what exactly?

Excerpted from "US flag rules and regulations act of 1942":

"It should never touch anything beneath it, such as the ground, the floor, water, or merchandise."

"It should never be carried flat or horizontally, but always aloft and free."

"It should never be fastened, displayed, used, or stored so that it might be easily torn, soiled, or damaged in any way."

Yep; being used as a display while the kid perhaps flies along an interstate on his way to school to then leave the thing hanging onto the floor of his pick up all day unable to "wave freely" is observing all the little niceties of flag protocols as you so incorrectly surmise.

You are (or should be) aware also that if the kid takes the precaution to warp the flag (as you would a sail in high winds) using bungees to prevent it from beating itself to death on his drive to school, he's breaking one of the very biggies in flag rules of your nation. The flag should also not be hung in inclement weather or in such a manner that it risks getting soiled or otherwise subjected to mistreatment. May I presume to ask; do you or this kid run outdoors to lower it "ceremoniously" accordingly?...What in the blue blazes, may I ask, do you not understand about all of this?

I won't bother to bore you with all of the hoisting and lowering rules that I damn sure doubt (and witnessed in the video) were being observed here, especially by the one car passenger holding the thing from the window of a car while it dragged on the ground. Do you for one second suppose that particular flag ended up being folded properly or simply tossed to lay across the back seat of the car while they sauntered into class? But of course it's all good because they're being patriotic. Cripes!

OR the rules as they apply to the flag being flown oriented in relation to other pennants. As you have already pointed out, you're all for respect of the flag and see nothing wrong here....right?

YOU posted, ""to fly a nations flag from the filthy bed of a dang pick-up truck!"

And you reply to me, "The picture of the truck? How is that in any way relevant?"

I don't know, you pointed it out and called it filthy, your words, not mine,when you can't see the bed of the truck.

What, don't you like pick-up trucks? You think they are somehow disrespectful?

"so that it might be easily torn" I think you are taking things to literally.

I have to replace my flag every 6 months because the winds where I live.

How long do you think a flag lasts at the top of tall buildings where the wind is VERY strong?

Should I NOT fly the flag because it "is easily torn"?

Like I said, Ii respect the flag and fly it 24/7.

All I can say to you is, get off your sanctimonious horse.

Based on what the student said AND the reactions from local vets, most think that what they were doing is just fine and I agree.

Old 05-17-2015, 06:52 AM

14,479 posts, read 11,273,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Probably offended by the lack of flag protocol hanging it off of a truck. It's not illegal, but it's certainly not respectful.
The only thing this insipid principal should have done was to salute as the flag proceeded by him. There was nothing wrong with the way this flag was displayed.

Same goes for you charolastra, somehow I suspect that wouldn't happen though.

Old 05-17-2015, 07:14 AM

1,350 posts, read 2,299,479 times
Sure would be nice if half the outrage here could be directed at fast track TPP, which is giving away our national sovereignty. But I guess that's too complex of an issue and this is symbolic nonsense.

Old 05-17-2015, 07:56 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,476,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
YOU posted, ""to fly a nations flag from the filthy bed of a dang pick-up truck!"

And you reply to me, "The picture of the truck? How is that in any way relevant?"

I don't know, you pointed it out and called it filthy, your words, not mine,when you can't see the bed of the truck.

What, don't you like pick-up trucks? You think they are somehow disrespectful?

"so that it might be easily torn" I think you are taking things to literally.

I have to replace my flag every 6 months because the winds where I live.

How long do you think a flag lasts at the top of tall buildings where the wind is VERY strong?

Should I NOT fly the flag because it "is easily torn"?

Like I said, Ii respect the flag and fly it 24/7.

All I can say to you is, get off your sanctimonious horse.

Based on what the student said AND the reactions from local vets, most think that what they were doing is just fine and I agree.
The bed of a pick up truck could be presumed to be filthy in comparison to not touching anything at all couldn't it? Who among us would not make sure our truck is shiny the day it's having it's picture taken?

There you go again with the presumptions. I love pick-up trucks and have owned no less than eight of them over my 69 years. All of them were kept clean and none of them would have gone a week with an ugly dent in the side of the bed. I would never have used any one of them to display the flag of my country while driving along the highways, never!

While driving anywhere in the U.S. I've observed the speed limits are routinely exceeded by at least 10mph. What's the limit on your stretch of interstate? How do you think a 4'X6' flag would fare while being subjected to that, even briefly? It's disrespectful to treat it thusly; that is all I'm saying. While flying the flag is admirable; forgetting the respect it is due, is not.

Kudos and a score of 90 marks to the kid for fighting the good fight of maintaining his rights with 2 marks deducted for flying a flag contrary to a few of the flag protocols. That's not sanctimony, that's simply stating an opinion.

You do not agree with it, that's fine. The rules are there and should not be ignored just because the show of patriotism is impressive.

Old 05-17-2015, 08:01 AM

25,838 posts, read 16,513,155 times
Quote:
Truly amazing how a school principal in the U.S. could be this far disconnected from the norm. Anyone having any familiarity with the country and it's people at all could have predicted the outcome to his inept handling of this issue.

Aside from all the general disrespect shown to the protocols that should be observed when displaying or flying the flag that should involve a certain reverence and care, the principal stepped in some cow poo then proceeded to walk through everyone's living room with it on his shoe, seemingly unaware of his infraction.

Having said that and acknowledged the principal stepped in it and then made it worse, I'm less than supportive of the kid's CHOICE of how to show his patriotism using the flag.

I am a Canadian, ex military, brought up by a WWII veteran whose father was a WWI vet with other grandfather having served in the U.S. military, whose father and grandfather in turn fought in the Spanish American and civil wars. A lot of military history in our family and NONE of us would have thought it appropriate to fly a nations flag from the filthy bed of a dang pick-up truck!

There are certainly times and occasions when a flag, when flown in conflict, would be subjected to mistreatment, that is to be expected, but any other time the flag is flown, it should be accorded nothing but respect and careful handling. Dragging it on the ground outside the window of a moving car while deigning to be showing your patriotism is NOT appropriate. Allowing it to hang into the bottom of, or flap against the sides of a dirty pick-up truck - nope!

The principal would have been better served had he encouraged an general assembly class given by a Reserve Officer or a Master Gunnery Sergeant from a nearby Military base on flag etiquette to perhaps dissuade these students from treating the flag in such a cavalier manner.
Great post! We don't agree often but I enjoyed this and agree 100% I don't like people taking liberties with the flag either. My Dad was a Marine in WWII and even though he would never tell us kids anything about his experiences in combat...he would tell us certain things. One was they were in the jungle for 40 days straight. They were filthy, hungry and almost broken mentally. When they finally got relieved they marched out and when they hit the beach they saw a Navy ship with the American flag flying and every single one of them cried when they saw it. The flag meant something different to those guys as I'm sure it has to every generation who had to fight for it.

Old 05-17-2015, 08:29 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,822,779 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eobuu-IexvI

Old 05-17-2015, 08:55 AM

58,958 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
The bed of a pick up truck could be presumed to be filthy in comparison to not touching anything at all couldn't it? Who among us would not make sure our truck is shiny the day it's having it's picture taken?

There you go again with the presumptions. I love pick-up trucks and have owned no less than eight of them over my 69 years. All of them were kept clean and none of them would have gone a week with an ugly dent in the side of the bed. I would never have used any one of them to display the flag of my country while driving along the highways, never!

While driving anywhere in the U.S. I've observed the speed limits are routinely exceeded by at least 10mph. What's the limit on your stretch of interstate? How do you think a 4'X6' flag would fare while being subjected to that, even briefly? It's disrespectful to treat it thusly; that is all I'm saying. While flying the flag is admirable; forgetting the respect it is due, is not.

Kudos and a score of 90 marks to the kid for fighting the good fight of maintaining his rights with 2 marks deducted for flying a flag contrary to a few of the flag protocols. That's not sanctimony, that's simply stating an opinion.

You do not agree with it, that's fine. The rules are there and should not be ignored just because the show of patriotism is impressive.
"The bed of a pick up truck could be presumed to be filthy in comparison to not touching anything at all couldn't it?" " There you go again with the presumptions."

Looking at the outside of the truck I would "assume" that the bed is just as clean.

"That's not sanctimony, that's simply stating an opinion. "

I disagree. You not ONLY stated your opinion but, you chastise ANYONE who DOESN'T agree with you.

"The rules are there and should not be ignored' Agreed but, here is we, and many posters and those on the scene, differ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies