U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 02:23 PM

15,839 posts, read 9,995,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1954 View Post
How was Colin Powell "forced" to spew BS?
You are right, he was willing and active participant in the lies and distortions:

Lie After Lie After Lie: What Colin Powell Knew Ten Years Ago Today and What He Said*|*Jonathan Schwarz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2015, 02:25 PM
Status: "It is the nature of grotesque things you can’t look away" (set 28 days ago)

17,988 posts, read 8,117,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
Good CYA there Jebadia.
Actually, it is a pretty bad CYA. I'll bet the percentage of people who believe it is way up in the single digits.

Old 05-15-2015, 02:30 PM

30,194 posts, read 16,560,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
He went from "yes, I would have invaded" to "I don't know" to "no, I would not have invaded".

Evolving views.......

In hindsight, Jeb Bush acknowledges he wouldn

Jeb Bush on Thursday tried, finally, to exorcise the ghost of the Iraq war that has haunted him politically for most of the week. Speaking at a small brewery in Arizona, Bush said, “Knowing what we know now, I would have not engaged, I would not have gone into Iraq.”

Bush’s trouble began when anchor Megyn Kelly asked him the most obvious of questions about his brother’s scarred Iraq legacy: “Knowing what we know, would you have authorized the invasion?”

“I would have,” Bush said

Kelly pressed Bush on whether the war was a mistake, and he conceded the intelligence was “faulty.”

Bush said on the radio that afternoon that he had, in fact, misunderstood Kelly. But when host Sean Hannity asked it again, Bush said, “I don’t know.”
Quote:
The mainstream media’s latest brainwave is to ask GOP candidates whether they would have supported the 2003 invasion of Iraq “if you had known what we know now.”

This is appallingly stupid on five different levels.
------------------------------------------------------------
2) The whole point of the decision was that we didn’t know.

Here’s the really stupid part about it. We didn’t know then what we know now. Nobody did. And that’s the whole context in which the decision was made.

A major part of the justification for the war was the fact that we didn’t know for sure whether Iraq had weapons of mass destruction, and we couldn’t know while Saddam Hussein was in power. He was evading UN inspections, filing giant reports of suspect validity, and meanwhile telling his own generals that the army had weapons of mass destruction. The reason, in hindsight, seems pretty clear: he wanted all of his neighbors, and presumably his internal enemies as well, to think that he had WMDs so they would be afraid of him. We weren’t going to get straight answers while he was still in power.

So the whole point of the question is: would you have invaded Iraq, if you had known information that we could only discover for certain by invading Iraq? It’s a nonsensical question that tells you nothing—absolutely nothing—about what a candidate would have done in the original moment.
The Hypothetical Iraq Question Everyone's Asking Is Stupid

Old 05-15-2015, 02:30 PM

32,282 posts, read 26,131,295 times
and this is why jeb will likely not be president. this thread has devolved to old arguments about the iraq war, and those that supported the war will stand on what was said and why e went to war, and those that hated the war will constantly make the claim that bush lied, and of course forget that the democrats made teh exact same claims as much as two years before bush was elected using the same intelligence.

Old 05-15-2015, 02:31 PM

9,985 posts, read 6,732,986 times
Make no mistake, JEB Bush "John Ellis Bush" - was intentionally
named J.E.B. - short for JEBULON, pop that into a search engine.

Old 05-15-2015, 02:34 PM

15,839 posts, read 9,995,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
and this is why jeb will likely not be president. this thread has devolved to old arguments about the iraq war, and those that supported the war will stand on what was said and why e went to war, and those that hated the war will constantly make the claim that bush lied, and of course forget that the democrats made teh exact same claims as much as two years before bush was elected using the same intelligence.
Doesn't matter, the old claims were no excuse for invasion and occupation. Bush was pumped to invade Iraq after 9/11 - no matter what the excuse.

Old 05-15-2015, 02:38 PM

32,282 posts, read 26,131,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Doesn't matter, the old claims were no excuse for invasion and occupation. Bush was pumped to invade Iraq after 9/11 - no matter what the excuse.
except that this thread is NOT ABOUT gw bush but rather jeb bush, yet the liberals are going to paint jeb with the same brush as his brother, and you are front and center with that stupiity.

Old 05-15-2015, 03:18 PM

827 posts, read 602,074 times
to those who love war (the proponents of building the empire as Ron Paul puts it).

don't worry!!

IT does not matter who is "running" the next administration.

big multinational corporations will run the administration just as they have since world war II.

Look at all U.S administrations since WWII. every one of them has been involved in some armed conflict somewhere in the world.

There is no material difference between Hillary or Jeb Bush. They both pledge allegiance to Corporatist Party of America.

Their Strategy is the same: Maintain and Expand the Empire!!!
Their Tactics might be different. That is Hillary might drone bomb a country as Obama did.

Jet Bush, Rubio, ... might choose to Bomb them with Strategic bombers.

Old 05-15-2015, 03:40 PM

49,993 posts, read 26,499,057 times
Great. Now I'm even MORE convinced that Jeb would've invaded.

Old 05-15-2015, 03:53 PM

5,886 posts, read 4,175,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
He went from "yes, I would have invaded" to "I don't know" to "no, I would not have invaded".

Evolving views.......

In hindsight, Jeb Bush acknowledges he wouldn

Jeb Bush on Thursday tried, finally, to exorcise the ghost of the Iraq war that has haunted him politically for most of the week. Speaking at a small brewery in Arizona, Bush said, “Knowing what we know now, I would have not engaged, I would not have gone into Iraq.”

Bush’s trouble began when anchor Megyn Kelly asked him the most obvious of questions about his brother’s scarred Iraq legacy: “Knowing what we know, would you have authorized the invasion?”

“I would have,” Bush said

Kelly pressed Bush on whether the war was a mistake, and he conceded the intelligence was “faulty.”

Bush said on the radio that afternoon that he had, in fact, misunderstood Kelly. But when host Sean Hannity asked it again, Bush said, “I don’t know.”
Another phony corporatist with no convictions other than enriching Wall St. and getting elected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or