Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 06:22 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Racism is wrong, regardless of what your skin color is. Affirmative action is racism and so is this. Case closed.

I hope this goes all the way to the Supreme Court and Harvard loses.
No matter what the SCOTUS says, Harvard can't lose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 06:51 PM

2,860 posts, read 3,387,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrafficCory View Post
What are we doing to close the gap between Asian and White test scores?
How dare you. You mus'nt point out that whites struggle as well.

Old 05-21-2015, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
How dare you. You mus'nt point out that whites struggle as well.
Let you tell it, they aren't....

Until it's convenient in an argument to say otherwise.

Old 05-22-2015, 09:57 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,449,583 times
There is double the amount of Asians in Harvard percentage wise than that of general population. If anything there are too many asians in Harvard

Old 05-22-2015, 10:05 AM

12,973 posts, read 15,802,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
There is double the amount of Asians in Harvard percentage wise than that of general population. If anything there are too many asians in Harvard
Again so what? Should be quadruple or more if against academic achievement. Check the surnames of the National Merit Semi-finalists.

Old 05-22-2015, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Again so what? Should be quadruple or more if against academic achievement. Check the surnames of the National Merit Semi-finalists.
Harvard requires more than just being an egghead.

If you're only accepting the highest test scores and GPA's, then you don't need an admissions department. A simple computer can be used to determine who gets in.

Old 05-22-2015, 10:13 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
The process of deciding who gets into American universities and colleges is unlike any other in the world. It’s a delicate balancing act that involves many factors: academic indicators and measurements about you, characteristics that make you unique, and the goals and priorities set by individual universities and colleges.

Focus on race is silly and lame. Universities should focus on talents diversity. Period.

Old 05-22-2015, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
I won't say "too many," but there are certainly enough to absolve Harvard of any accusations of racism.

Harvard discriminates....all good universities do. They have to. But that's not the same as racism.

Old 05-22-2015, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
The process of deciding who gets into American universities and colleges is unlike any other in the world. It’s a delicate balancing act that involves many factors: academic indicators and measurements about you, characteristics that make you unique, and the goals and priorities set by individual universities and colleges.

Focus on race is silly and lame. Universities should focus on talents diversity. Period.
Generally speaking, I.think they do.

But race is never too far under the surface in most conservatives in.America. It's in the DNA of the country.

Old 05-22-2015, 10:24 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,449,583 times
HS Grades are like a mutual fund saying Past Performance is not always an indicator of future performance.

Take kid A, a Black kid in foster care, walks to school, lives in a bad neighborhood works a full time job in HS parents are in jail but manages a A minu average while playing a few sports teams and doing some church volunteer stuff.

Take kid B, rich Asian or White Kid, only child, access to tutors, access to computers, driven to and from school parents with masters degrees help him with home work and he attends an expensive academic summer camp each summer to prepare him for following school year and he has an A plus average.

I have one spot left in Harvard who do I take?

On surface the and grades alone the A+ student. But I would ask could the A + student achieve an A - average if he had the adversity of the kid in foster care.

Also I want a bit of diversity and interesting class room conversation I would take the black kid everytime and guess what I think it is a much bigger accomplishment getting and A- average then an A+ average given what he had to do to get it. I would give it to him on merit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies