U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 11:08 PM

6,339 posts, read 2,697,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
If it bothers you so much, why don't you start your own business? Be your own boss, run things the way you'd like them run. Go for it man.
We can't
Big Business owns our government and has written too many regulations and rules where they kill their competition.

1000's of small business owners complain about the regulations and fee's and we can point them to the ones that write the majority of these.

Mega Corporations
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2015, 11:16 PM

10,218 posts, read 6,803,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
perhaps because small business owners and starters are the ones wiling to take the risks needed to succeed? perhaps because they are the ones trying to make things better for themselves and others? if you always want to play it safe, then you just go to work, do your job, and then go home, and essntially never get anywhere, and then you can complain about working that dead end job.
Yes because it as simple as start a business or play it safe..... Quite a few successful people that don't take on the risk of a business and instead learn a skill or a trade that is very lucrative.

Quote:
on the other hand, you can go out and raise the money needed to start a business, put together a business plan, find a location, start the business and run it. you put in the time, you put in the sweat, you put in the nee4ded effort to make the business succeed. and for the first year and a half the business goes or dies based on your will and efforts. you make all the decisions, you run the business your way, and you reap all the rewards for your efforts.

if you planned well, and put in the needed effort, and customers decided that your business was needed, or was better than a similar business, then you succeed. on the other hand if you dont put in the effort, if you dont read the market right, if your customers dont like your business, then you lose.
...pretty much one big self high five in paragraph form.

Quote:
this is the win or lose deal you make when you start your own business. when you win, you tend to win big, when you lose, you lose.
I guess, I'm not sure what "win big" means but I certainly respect the entrepreneur.

Old 05-16-2015, 03:47 AM

26,304 posts, read 12,868,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
I am not complaining, I had a great work life and loved it but owning your own business is a whole lot harder than a lot of people seem to believe.
To a point. Once you get large enough....not so much. And I think thats what people are upset about more then anything else. not the small business owners like you, or me in the past...but the massive conglomerates that are in fact raking in a TON of cash, and then using it in political ways to rake in even more.

You talk about the risks you took, and THATS why most people dont start a business. I've done it when I had enough cash that the risks would not result in the loss of my home. For most they can't even begin to get involved in the risks you or I took.

And know what? At a certain level of wealth...the risks drop dramatically. 100 million? They will get involved in twenty $5 million risks, that have a 50/50 chance of failing, or giving them back 5X the investment. They're not really taking any risks anymore. Its almost impossible for them to fail.

Look at your business....what good is insurance if you never use it, because doing so costs you MORE? The answer is some insurance guy is making a ton of money off of you without giving any real value. Its all those little drags that make someone else rich with no risk.

congratulations...you made it to the 1% most likely. But the 1%'ers aren't who people should really be looking at, its the .01% really.

Old 05-16-2015, 04:05 AM

22,777 posts, read 16,854,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORION83 View Post
Via a book about Jack London

It was not the hard work he objected to- indeed he had already proved his love of physical exertion-it was the pointlessness and the drudgery of it,the idea of slaving at a pittance of a wage for a class of owners and investors who lived like lords and took their sense of entitlement for granted.It was being lied to and doubtless laughed at by owners who never questioned that a dollar a day was the best that people like him should expect for killing themselves.

To defeat any attempts to belittle this thread I will say this
YES wages are slightly higher today than they were over 100 years ago although no where near enough.
YOU do not get to be the decider of what is hard work and what is not. Period.
Any person putting in a days work deserves a legit and fair share of pay that fair share is enough to pay bills and rent.

Again thank you Jack London. Favorite person EVER.
Actually, yes I DO get to be the "decider" of what is hard work and what isn't. (And might I ask what grade are you in elementary school after reading a sentence like that?)

Here's how it works: You apply for a job. You get interviewed. At some point, when being hired is discussed, you find out what you will earn for the work that is required for the job. At that point, it is your decision if you can accept that or not. If you do not feel that the trade off is fair, negotiate. If negotiations fail, you go find other employment.

The End.

Old 05-16-2015, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
So are you too lazy? Not smart enough? Not willing to put in the hours? Want a life outside of your business?

If so...just why should the few people that are smart, hard working and dedicated enough be willing to pay you a wage that is far beyond what you will ever produce? Capitalist provide the ideas, tools and materials to allow people that are less capable to produce far more than they ever could on their own. And pay them far more than they would ever make based on their own ambition, ability and efforts.

IIRC Jack London wrote a story about a dog once. I read it in 3rd grade.
He wrote about wolves and sled dogs, and he wrote about a book called Sea Wolf which I also enjoyed when I was a kid. He was one of my favorites growing up, but that doesn't mean that I think he's right in whining about actually having to work in trade for money.

Old 05-16-2015, 07:10 AM
Status: "1st day of summer feels like fall" (set 28 days ago)

5,485 posts, read 3,222,182 times
I have heard of London Fog but never this thick ...gandy dancing & digging trenches after HS inspired me to improve my condition through capitalistic means via a capitalistic company to support my capitalistic ways.

Old 05-16-2015, 07:41 AM

2,836 posts, read 3,096,093 times
It is the ordinary working people that get up every day and do the jobs upon which everyone depends and that everyone takes for granted. They are neglected and ignored for all their worth and the importance of their work; yet they are the same as those whose labors built the pyramids and the Great Wall of China. What one great man has left a more lasting mark on the face of the earth? Still, we live in a world that would deny ordinary working people even the most basic of human rights and benefits of life. After a decade of voting itself an annual cost-of-living increase, the Congress has finally voted to raise the minimum wage by a *****rdly $2.10 an hour! Have we learned nothing from history? In every age there has been unrest, revolution or war for the suppression of the masses to satisfy the greed and ambitions of the ruling classes. Nothing has changed; and so long as such inequities exist, it never will.

Old 05-16-2015, 01:33 PM

364 posts, read 228,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Actually, yes I DO get to be the "decider" of what is hard work and what isn't. (And might I ask what grade are you in elementary school after reading a sentence like that?)

Here's how it works: You apply for a job. You get interviewed. At some point, when being hired is discussed, you find out what you will earn for the work that is required for the job. At that point, it is your decision if you can accept that or not. If you do not feel that the trade off is fair, negotiate. If negotiations fail, you go find other employment.

The End.
Must be nice to be Naive.

Old 05-16-2015, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORION83 View Post
Must be nice to be Naive.
I wouldn't know, why don't you tell me how nice it is.

Old 05-16-2015, 01:41 PM

364 posts, read 228,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I wouldn't know, why don't you tell me how nice it is.
You want to learn how this REALLY happens? You were right mostly. The part you are wrong on is their is NO negotiation over wage. Either you ask what wage is ( I do or find out before even applying) or they TELL YOU what the wage is. When you have a family or bills or rent or gas or repairs etc etc there is always something that needs paid for you can't be choosy about the damn job. You take it and try and make it or you don't take it don't bring in ANY money. That's reality. Like I said must be nice to be naive. That ANYONE thinks you get to negotiate your wage is proof they don't live in the real world OR they are lying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or