Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2015, 11:19 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,117,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
By the time they are 22, all women know already that they are sometimes treated differently than similarly situated men (regardless of skin colour). I can't fathom how people are able to dispute this in good faith.

Is that a reason to have a chip on one's shoulder? Obviously not.
A lot of super successful women in business definitely have a chip on their shoulders. What do you think gave them the drive to be twice as good as their male counterparts. I have personally observed this in the corporate world.

Ditto for super successful minority men - definitely a chip on the shoulder. That's a good thing. No one is going to hand you anything, you have to go get it.

Or we can just cry about it in a fetal position against a wall.

Mick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2015, 11:27 AM

11,780 posts, read 5,795,007 times
I think that's where you lost them " it's not a black thing " because some on this forum do believe that blacks are the only ones discriminated against. I've been discriminated against because I'm older when it comes to employment, I'm discriminated against because we own guns, own a Pit bull and don't have expensive clothes. My friend is discriminated against because he's gay, another is Asian and the poor soul who's Muslim - especially after 911 and now Isis - but no - that isn't called discrimination. Everyone has faced discrimination at some point in their lives and will continue to do so. Do my Black friends sometimes run into a racist person - yes - but it's not everyday, they have not let 1 person's ignorance prevented them from bettering themselves or doing what they want. TG for my black friends - for I am reminded on a daily basis what good hardworking honest people they are and that those who want to continue to bemoan the fact that everyone is racist does not reflect my friends - because like the other poster - I'm sick of hearing about it.

Old 05-17-2015, 11:36 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,443,357 times
Those of you who decided to come in and take over this thread explaining to those of us deemed Obama objectors.... can save your words. Nothing will erase the opinions that don't agree with yours. Too bad you can't deal with those who disagree with the Obamas. No point denying it as it's the reason this thread is still growing.

Old 05-17-2015, 11:39 AM

3,063 posts, read 3,272,748 times
Some whites say that blacks are too sensitive but God d### some of yall really don't want for us to even mention anything that is tied to racism. It's always shocking, divisive and race baiting because it makes some if you uncomfortable. You better believe that even if michelle didnt talk about it in her speech that what she said is already being said in black homes across America behind closed doors. You might not want to acknowledge race or the racist experiences that most black people face in this country but not wanting to hear that this is a reality because it's unrelatable to you and you think it's divisive doesn't take away from the fact that all over most blacks knew exactly what she meant and knew even before she said what she said that what she was saying was a reality. A reality I suppose to whites, Asians and other groups that are NOT black and therefore have not lived the black experience in America might not understand. Just like most of us would not understand what it is like to be you. So who are we to refuse to believe what your experiences are if we have not experienced a day in your shoes? Why do people hate to hear that not everyone has the same experiences in this country? I don't know what it's like to be Gay and I have never went through any awful experiences because of my sexuality. Yet I dont pretend that homosexuals don't have unique awful experiences simply because Im not gay and I don't try to relate my different unique experiences as a black person to a gay person because I don't know what its like to be gay and I also am aware that the experiences are most likely different. This doesn't take away from anything by acknowledging this.

Of course you find it shocking and divisive that she said what she said --it's a reality that some of you would prefer was not acknowledged since you can not relate and since it alludes this negativeness about race in America that makes you uncomfortable because you don't experience it.

This however is your prerogative. There is a reason most blacks across all
Spectrums understood her speech and did not find if divisive or baiting at all-we have had experiences that are as apalling as you found her speech. Are we not allowed to speak on this and not acknowledge this truth that exists for some of us just because it makes you feel uncomfortable or because you refuse to believe this happens?

Surely you don't believe that most blacks have chips on their shoulder and think all whites are racist and out to get us? We know that for all the bad experiences there are plenty of good. We also know that there are certain experiences that we have because of our skin that might make things more challenging but this acknowledgement is not a chip on our shoulder, it is our understanding of the reality we face... And most of us don't harbor any animosity toward a large group of varied individuals. We talk about our experiences because they are one aspect of our lives. Race is an aspect of who we are. We cannot pretend it does not exist.

Some of you keep mentioning her comment about being mistaken for the help, as if this is the only example of the black experience of racism. Its not. In fact ive never had the problem of being mistaken as the help. But I've had many that many of you that aren't black have not experienced and would not be able to relate to that I find just as shocking and inappropriate as you found her speech. But such is life. Most of us have had unique experiences where we've been mistreated, prejudged, or treated unfairly for a variety of reasons. In some cases these moments have had significant impacts on our lives other times they haven't. But most of us will acknowledge and talk about these moments because they contribute to our unique journeys. Black people have experiences in this country and we can talk about it. The same way homosexuals can talk about discrimination, or Muslims can talk about it. This is a country where we are free to acknowledge all of our experiences even if it makes others uncomfortable in the process.
Some of you say your slowly becoming racist because of XYZ, so be it. As if that is supposed to make us feel bad for acknowledging what you believe is wrong or what makes you feel uncomfortable? Most of us don't care. I don't. go on and be racist lol.

What she said was inspiring for the students who heard the speech and honestly that is all that matters. That speech wasnt to you or about you, and so your feelings about it are honestly amusing. I guess ignorance really is bliss.

Signed a black woman that does not give a f*** how you feel lol

Last edited by Faith2187; 05-17-2015 at 11:55 AM..

Old 05-17-2015, 11:39 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
Those of you who decided to come in and take over this thread explaining to those of us deemed Obama objectors.... can save your words. Nothing will erase the opinions that don't agree with yours. Too bad you can't deal with those who disagree with the Obamas. No point denying it as it's the reason this thread is still growing.
The thread is still going because there is a variety of opinions not all of which are in tandem with your own. That's the beauty of internet forums.

Old 05-17-2015, 11:50 AM

2,860 posts, read 3,387,163 times
An utterly divisive piece of bleep she is. Sickening. She is a disgrace to the White House.

Last edited by Govie; 05-17-2015 at 12:24 PM..

Old 05-17-2015, 12:02 PM

16,590 posts, read 8,610,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
why do you keep ignoring the fact that she was speaking at a HBU? in light of all the racial strife and young black males feeling like they are being targeted by police (and wanna be police), her speech was very appropriate. do you deny that there is still much discrimination in the US?

the group that benefited the most from affirmative action were white women. and they still make less than white men. job discrimination is still very much a problem.
I don't know if you really believe these comments, or are just brainwashed by the liberal talking points.
For example your "women make less than men" comment.
As has been shown, there are factual reasons why women make less that men on the whole, and it is not because of institutional discrimination.
But those are facts that fly in the face of the false narrative, so they are ignored and/or dismissed. Yet when Obama or others are shown to be guilty of wage disparity between the men & women that work for them, then it is ok to explain the facts.
Rest assured blacks and other racial minorities got plenty of jobs via affirmative action, despite the fact it discriminates based on race & gender. But that is a different discussion.

As to speaking to the "HBU", yes that has been pointed out, and I understand that those who do not agree with me are making that distinction. I do not dismiss it out of hand, as it seems to be the crux of some reasoned posters beliefs.

That said, it is also evident that Michelle and certainly her husband, are incapable of not injecting race into speeches, which many people find divisive. It is also with the assumption that ALL blacks experience racism (as defined by the leftists), EVERY black has been targeted by LE, etc.
Yet if others such as myself have experienced the exact same things over the years, how it is based on racism with blacks involved, yet it obviously couldn't be when whites are involved. I've been asked to reach things on shelves my entire life since about 14 years old. I've been watched in stores for potential shoplifting. People have undoubtedly locked car doors or crossed the street when seeing me (not that I'm looking for it like some blacks apparently do). Heck I've been pulled over by black LEO's, and never once assumed it was because I was white (even though we know racism against whites does occur with SOME blacks). Notice how I can make a factual comment without sweeping generalizations that pronounce EVERY/ALL in the comment.

`

Old 05-17-2015, 12:13 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Yep people are discriminated against. FACT!
It isn't just the domain of black people though.

Fat people,short,skinny,tall,gay,straight,jewish or any religion for that matter, handicapped,women,men,old and young we all get some sort of bias or discrimination throughout our lives unless we live in a protected bubble or a cave.

The question one has to ask oneself is "do you want to wallow in it or shrug it off and move on?" Do you want to move past it or add to it by doing something like hyphenating the description of yourself (African-American,Asian-American,Native-American etc.)?

Does one want to walk around thinking the world OWES you for whatever slight you received or whatever experience your grandparents/great grandparents had? If so I guaranty your life will be miserable and you'll probably never succeed in life.

Just an observation from someone who's (near) extended family was subjected to Hitler's takeover...

Old 05-17-2015, 12:14 PM

16,590 posts, read 8,610,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
By the time they are 22, all African-Americans know already that they are sometimes treated differently than similarly situated white people. I can't fathom how white people are able to dispute this in good faith? How do you even know? Did you wear a black face in public for a week, or something? lol

Mick
Ah, here we go again with "ALL" and such.
I know of at least one young black guy (ironically enough he is 22) who does not feel like he has been discriminated against. Then again his definition of being discriminated against is likely different than yours.
As to "treated differently", you will have to define what you mean by that because he might have been treated differently, but we never discussed such a broad all encompassing term like that.
I suspect we have all been treated differently if something about us stands out from the group we are in. Heck I was at a military event one time where my hair was by far the longest on the men in the room. I might have gotten a few looks, maybe even some comments with assumptions about who I was based on my appearance. However it didn't bother me, nor did I feel slighted. Now if I walked around with a chip on my shoulder, I might say "hey, what are you jarheads looking at. Haven't you ever seen a hippie before".
So it will be interesting to see what you define as being treated differently.

Old 05-17-2015, 12:15 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
The thread is still going because there is a variety of opinions not all of which are in tandem with your own. That's the beauty of internet forums.
Bingo. It's a discussion forum, not an echo chamber. If you don't like what someone is writing, feel free to implement the ignore feature. I use it liberally to limit my exposure to people who cannot be civil on-line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies