Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 03:57 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,930,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Again a demonstration of the racism underlying the attacks on Obama.

The remarks are out of context and completely foreign to the scene depicted.

Simple. classic racism.
I wouldn't say her comment caused riots, but she is certainly pointing fingers in just one direction. Acting as if the black youth can't blame themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2015, 04:11 PM

86 posts, read 82,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
I wouldn't say her comment caused riots, but she is certainly pointing fingers in just one direction. Acting as if the black youth can't blame themselves.
Statistically, her audience (graduating college students) isn't likely to be out there participating in riots. She is "pointing a finger" (I dispute that characterization, but whatever) at the reality that that they are going to be treated like the next "rioter" or "thug" regardless of their achievements. Kind of like how you're generalizing all "black youth" as nothing but troublemakers right now.

And for the one billionth time, the entire point of her speech is that being profiled based on their race or background is no excuse to sit there and feel sorry for themselves. She was telling them to go out into the world and "build up their communities" and vote.

Old 05-22-2015, 04:17 PM

3,063 posts, read 3,270,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinguina View Post
Statistically, her audience (graduating college students) isn't likely to be out there participating in riots. She is "pointing a finger" (I dispute that characterization, but whatever) at the reality that that they are going to be treated like the next "rioter" or "thug" regardless of their achievements. Kind of like how you're generalizing all "black youth" as nothing but troublemakers right now.

And for the one billionth time, the entire point of her speech is that being profiled based on their race or background is no excuse to sit there and feel sorry for themselves. She was telling them to go out into the world and "build up their communities" and vote.

Exactly. There's no real point in trying to teach some of the posters in here anything, to give them insight after all we are black people and we do at least understand where Michelle's coming from a lot more than they do, but I guess they still know best and know for a fact that what she said only provokes negative feelings within us, because after all they know more about us then we do.

In any case, if I were you, I would stop even trying to add anything insightful here. The OP is clearly ignorant and that was obvious by the arrogance in his first post as if because he feels a certain type of way, it's just mind boggling that others don't feel the same way as he does.

People can take her speech however they like. The real group that mattered here was the audience that Michelle made the speech to--everyone else can like it, love it, or hate it--they weren't there and it wasn't to them anyway. I know Michelle isn't losing sleep over it, I just saw a photo of her the other day, she seemed in good spirits. That lets me know that she could care less that some people didn't understand her speech and took out of context.

Old 05-22-2015, 04:34 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,949,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith2187 View Post
Exactly. There's no real point in trying to teach some of the posters in here anything, to give them insight after all we are black people and we do at least understand where Michelle's coming from a lot more than they do, but I guess they still know best and know for a fact that what she said only provokes negative feelings within us, because after all they know more about us then we do.

In any case, if I were you, I would stop even trying to add anything insightful here. The OP is clearly ignorant and that was obvious by the arrogance in his first post as if because he feels a certain type of way, it's just mind boggling that others don't feel the same way as he does.

People can take her speech however they like. The real group that mattered here was the audience that Michelle made the speech to--everyone else can like it, love it, or hate it--they weren't there and it wasn't to them anyway. I know Michelle isn't losing sleep over it, I just saw a photo of her the other day, she seemed in good spirits. That lets me know that she could care less that some people didn't understand her speech and took out of context.
Fair enough, as long as you and Mrs. Obama understand that we who are not black have had enough of the race hustling that she and her supporters so fervently believe in.

Old 05-22-2015, 04:39 PM

3,063 posts, read 3,270,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
Fair enough, as long as you and Mrs. Obama understand that we who are not black have had enough of the race hustling that she and her supporters so fervently believe in.
Good for you. As long as you understand that those of who are black and might or might not support her aren't always race hustling and honestly rarely talk about whites because we are *gasps* mostly trying to work out our own lives. If that is understood both ways, then I'm sure we'll all be just fine.

Old 05-22-2015, 04:42 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,949,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Unbelievable people could actually act and watch this.......people stood there and said nothing, then they blame society.....
She talks like Casey Anthony, pronouncing st as sht: "frushtrated".

Old 05-22-2015, 04:43 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,949,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith2187 View Post
Good for you. As long as you understand that those of who are black and might or might not support her aren't always race hustling and honestly rarely talk about whites because we are *gasps* mostly trying to work out our own lives. If that is understood both ways, then I'm sure we'll all be just fine.
Obviously you will never understand what's like to be white in America and therefore vilified or accused of implicitly or directly causing everything that goes bump in the night for anyone who isn't white. So don't go there, you will never understand what it's like to walk in those shoes.

Old 05-22-2015, 04:57 PM

259 posts, read 178,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
Obviously you will never understand what's like to be white in America and therefore vilified or accused of implicitly or directly causing everything that goes bump in the night for anyone who isn't white. So don't go there, you will never understand what it's like to walk in those shoes.
For once live up to your rhetoric about not wallowing in victimhood and grow a pair. Yes because being called names occasionally is equivalent to being subject to police harassment and the occasional murder, redlining, job interview discrimination, profiled in the airport because you wore something that made someone uncomfortable, getting a US missile in your face because some guy who once said something good about someone who hurt America lives in your neighborhood, being kidnapped by the US government and shipped off to a Syrian torture chamber basically for being Muslim, and on and on and on....

Old 05-23-2015, 05:32 AM

5,097 posts, read 2,312,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
You're avoiding the answer to your own question:

So, how many black folks in your neighborhood?

And no, black folks don't frighten me. Seems to be a problem for lots of folks in this thread, though.

More than there are in yours. You can write things on the internet, but what you actually do in real life doesn't match up, does it?

Old 05-23-2015, 09:32 AM

1,142 posts, read 2,131,647 times
Welcome to the New World. Race relations have never been so bad as when Obama took office. No where near as bad in the 60s when a Black Panther tried to push me through a plate glass window for walking to to the train station. The reason it wasn't as bad back then is because another Panther helped me up. I don't believe that would happen today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies