Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 10:49 AM

16,538 posts, read 8,579,208 times

Advertisements

For those of you who have heard it, I would assume most would feel the way I do. That being that not only was it beneath the First Lady of the United States to make such a divisive speech, but that she herself seems to be full of resentment (maybe even hatred). That in and of itself is a worthy topic for discussion.
However, while not discouraging such a discussion in this thread, I want to also focus on something else that is troubling in this country. Let me explain.

I consider myself a fair minded person who is willing to listen to the other side of an issue provided it is based on fact rather than emotion. By and large I need to know that emotion is not a deciding factor that cause fact and pragmatic action to be subverted.
When I hear a speech by the First Lady and it strikes me in the manner it did, I assume most other reasoned people would feel similarly. So it surprised me to be watching a report on the show "Today" where a black female reporter characterized the speech in a completely different way, almost praising it.
Granted being a white man I do not know what it is like to be a black woman, but how could we have heard that speech so differently

This was the First Lady, yet she sounded almost like a female version of the race merchant Al Sharpton(though not as bombastic). She made it seem as if she has held grievances (real and perceived) and that she has a massive chip on her shoulder.
Sure she has made some similar comments along the way, but I have tried to give her the benefit of the doubt. Now I am not so sure.
For example feeling it was a slight or racially motived when a fellow shopper asked her to reach up and get something off a store shelf that was high. Michelle Obama is after all a tall woman, so it would seem perfectly natural for a shorter person to ask a taller person for assistance. With me being 6'7", I am regularly asked for such favors/help, and I don't think anything of it. I guess if I were to think about it, my assumption is that being tall is the reason. She instead apparently defaults to race as the reason.

The point of discussion I am getting at is that aside from the partisan koolaid drinking supporters of the Obama's, how can people see that speech in any type of a positive light?
Are we so polarized as a nation now that what I perceive to be a poor example of our countries First Lady's speech, can be seen by others as something positive?
Is it related to race, in that 6+ years of racial animus stirred up by Barak/Holder/Sharpton has caused black people to see things strictly through a lens of grievance?

I have not had the chance to discuss this with my black or liberal friends yet, so I wanted see what my fellow CD posters think of the this.

[YT]8NwrFDDQ12I[/YT]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NwrFDDQ12I

PS - It would be interesting to know the race/gender of the posters if you so choose.

TIA

`

Last edited by Vector1; 05-16-2015 at 11:45 AM.. Reason: Added request & video clip of speech
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2015, 11:01 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Why should the First Lady paint a rosy picture when that has not been her experience? She is in a great position to "tell it like it is". From what I could tell she acknowledged all she has been able to achieve but also what she has seen along the way. We need some candor rather than sugar-coating...people of color have experienced this and this helps validate that - it also shows just how widespread discriminatory behaviors are. I would expect no less from a First Lady than to educate others!

Old 05-16-2015, 11:16 AM

19,822 posts, read 12,084,715 times
OP, can you please link the speech you are referring to? You will likely get a more complete and honest dialogue going.

Old 05-16-2015, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Why should the First Lady paint a rosy picture when that has not been her experience? She is in a great position to "tell it like it is". From what I could tell she acknowledged all she has been able to achieve but also what she has seen along the way. We need some candor rather than sugar-coating...people of color have experienced this and this helps validate that - it also shows just how widespread discriminatory behaviors are. I would expect no less from a First Lady than to educate others!
I see you are from IL but have no clue about you. It is strictly up to you, but do you mind mentioning your gender & race to help out with the discussion
I ask not because it would be the sole reason, but I think this may be a factor in why we see things so differently.

Old 05-16-2015, 11:19 AM

12,973 posts, read 15,792,180 times
It is amazing how that built in bias can warp one's view of a perfectly reasonable speech. She is speaking to Tuskegee not Harvard and her speech would appear appropriate.

Where on earth did you get this view on reaching up on a shelf? Cite the passage please.

Old 05-16-2015, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
OP, can you please link the speech you are referring to? You will likely get a more complete and honest dialogue going.
I will try, but was just going off of two news reports I watched. If someone else beats me too it, I will post the link in my OP.

Old 05-16-2015, 11:21 AM

12,973 posts, read 15,792,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I will try, but was just going off of two news reports I watched. If someone else beats me too it, I will post the link in my OP.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press...cement-address

Old 05-16-2015, 11:27 AM

19,822 posts, read 12,084,715 times
Thanks Ivoc.

Old 05-16-2015, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
It is amazing how that built in bias can warp one's view of a perfectly reasonable speech. She is speaking to Tuskegee not Harvard and her speech would appear appropriate.

Where on earth did you get this view on reaching up on a shelf? Cite the passage please.
Wow, so aside from the discussion I want to have, you think that the schools audience should factor in to a commencement speech. Most commencement speeches are suppose to be uplifting and send positive messages to the graduates of all the great possibilities this country has to offer, and to make the most of the education the graduates have earned. I'd think the same speech could be given to Community College grads as to Harvard grads.

As to the shelf comment, I thought everyone had heard about it. I guess only certain news stations like FOX report anything that might show the (D's) in a negative light.

She wanted to go shopping at Target as the First Lady, but didn't want all the attention (understandable). So she dressed in disguise and according to her encountered someone who requested help to get something off a shelf.

Here is but one link of many on the web about it;

Michelle Obama Cries "RACISM" After THIS Happened at a Target (MUST READ) - The Political Insider

`

Old 05-16-2015, 11:40 AM

7,982 posts, read 4,283,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Wow, so aside from the discussion I want to have, you think that the schools audience should factor in to a commencement speech. Most commencement speeches are suppose to be uplifting and send positive messages to the graduates of all the great possibilities this country has to offer, and to make the most of the education the graduates have earned. I'd think the same speech could be given to Community College grads as to Harvard grads.

As to the shelf comment, I thought everyone had heard about it. I guess only certain news stations like FOX report anything that might show the (D's) in a negative light.

She wanted to go shopping at Target as the First Lady, but didn't want all the attention (understandable). So she dressed in disguise and according to her encountered someone who requested help to get something off a shelf.

Here is but one link of many on the web about it;

Michelle Obama Cries "RACISM" After THIS Happened at a Target (MUST READ) - The Political Insider

`
Absolutely! People have different experiences and different struggles. She's speaking to an audience that may have the same struggles she did. I loved her speech and I can relate to it. To be honest, I'm really surprised you have a problem with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies