U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-17-2015, 09:37 AM
 
Location: Glasgow Scotland
15,265 posts, read 12,576,559 times
Reputation: 22096

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
I see your post, and I can tell you that nothing that Michelle says is unique to skin colour. I have been mistaken for the help in grocery stores, clothing stores, and banquets. I assume that it is because I appear to a cooperative helpful person. I don't take offence at being asked to help. I have crossed the street, and even changed direction, because I see something ahead that could be problematic. That's life. Working and studying is common, regardless of skin colour, but when it comes to interviewing, no one cares about sacrifices made to achieve goals. That's life. I'm not "closed minded". I'm pointing out that whatever Michelle says about life has nothing to do with skin colour, and the sooner that black skinned people realize that their experiences are not unique, the sooner they will lose the egocentric victim/persecution complex.
I feel they are unique though in the way theyve been treated by society for centuries... I think Id have more than a chip to be honest..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-17-2015, 09:41 AM
 
20,554 posts, read 16,625,375 times
Reputation: 38590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
I see your post, and I can tell you that nothing that Michelle says is unique to skin colour. I have been mistaken for the help in grocery stores, clothing stores, and banquets. I assume that it is because I appear to a cooperative helpful person. I don't take offence at being asked to help. I have crossed the street, and even changed direction, because I see something ahead that could be problematic. That's life. Working and studying is common, regardless of skin colour, but when it comes to interviewing, no one cares about sacrifices made to achieve goals. That's life. I'm not "closed minded". I'm pointing out that whatever Michelle says about life has nothing to do with skin colour, and the sooner that black skinned people realize that their experiences are not unique, the sooner they will lose the egocentric victim/persecution complex.
If IYO there was nothing not unique to skin color or about race in that speech, then why are so many here and on Fixed News up in arms about it?

I disagree with your findings btw, I put my several of my own experiences with seeing discrimination against black skin color in that post.

You're mixing up the Target thing with her speech, btw. OP made it confusing, but she said nothing at all in her speech about being asked to help. He pulled that out of the past when his assumption that most people think like him proved wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2015, 10:07 AM
 
9,314 posts, read 4,279,537 times
Reputation: 11035
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Maybe because way more black people talk about race then there are racists left in America. Proof being our latest president whom was voted into office by the majority of Americans is black. Sure, there are a few diehards left. There are as many old black guys who won't let their kids date white people. Doesn't make it right, nor does it represent the majority. The majority already spoke, and they said unitedly we are not a racist country.

If a black woman isn't proud of America then why is she in the White House for goodness sake. America's history is full of struggles, 1/2 none of us are proud of but we still manage to stand united as a country despite them. Can't we expect our first lady to do the same? Our military is mixed, they are all proud of our country.

I wasn't aware that Chris Rock was the authority on this topic either. I wouldn't take what he says as fact, he's a comic. I wish he'd stop it as well. It's not helping anyone. But, he isn't in the same position as Michelle.

Why do you people, including Mrs. Obama, have to take one step back after two forward steps for this country have been made?

It would have been easy for her to promote unity in her speech, encourage those kids to go forth into a new America where the struggles of divide have all but been closed but noooooooooo, she assumes thats what all black people want and like to hear. If that's the truth, then we will never get rid of prejudice will we? How can we when we pass it on to our youth?

No problems for me giving a brief history of struggle, but to promote fear on the basis of future racists attacks and struggles from the rest of us? I find that promotion, and think she should have left it out. She set herself apart with that speech, she's in the position she's in right now because we don't feel that way. Shame on her. It's insulting to us who voted for her husband.

Most of the country want to move on now, most of use are all mixed together racially including our president. Why not embrace a new America and move up, instead of warn others of divides that haven't even happened yet? OOOOOhhhhh, be careful of what's to come from all the white people. PLEAASSEE.

"Now go you happy kids, go out there and get jobs, put on that fake happy face, change your names and try to dodge the bullets of this racist country of ours like I always have to do, even at Target!! Go on now! "
Remember, you're not the help, you're the boss now!
Very good post that touches on a lot of the thoughts her speech brought to mind.
Your first paragraph is a good example of reasoned thought and our countries current status. Yet many liberals, and blacks with chips on their shoulders believe this;

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
First of all, she is not telling them to prepare for racism...if they've gotten to college age in this country they HAVE experienced racism, period.
"they HAVE" & "period"

So really there is no discussion when such assumptions are made, and it is settled in their minds.

While I have no doubt SOME kids by college age have experienced some form of racism/slight, it is not universal.
Then again we all have different views on what racism is. To me the liberal PC culture has blurred the lines of what real racism by calling even the smallest slight or perception thereof, as racism. The news media, and the liberal mantra dictates that racism is alive and well in this country with all blacks experiencing it on a daily basis.
I'd bet dollars to donuts you take someone from the segregated south in the days where Democrats really abused black people with fire hoses and dogs (i.e. Bull Connor, Wallace, etc.), and say the people of today are experiencing racism, and they would

`
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2015, 10:07 AM
 
Location: Hyrule
8,398 posts, read 9,888,823 times
Reputation: 7441
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I listed copy an pasted a transcript, not a video. But never mind, I see your mind is too closed for it to make a difference. I want to say though, that had she been talking to a women's college, I'm sure she would have brought up the challenges faced by women in the world. In this case she is talking to a black college in Alabama. You really believe blacks in Alabama are not discriminated against, that's it simply a card they pull out when it suits them? You are the reason Michelle's speech IS appropriate, and right.
In the days of Oprah, Tiger, and the president, no, I don't think they will have a troubled future. Did they have a troubled past? Yes, but a future? No, they have the same percentage at a crappy future we all do, and racism isn't the cause, unless they go forth and apply it, like Michelle did. Then, yes, in their mind they will be repressed in 2015 and beyond.

Now, all the people in the ghettos, barrios, and midwestern waste lands who can't get out, they have a problem. Hard working lower class America, actually working 2 or 3 jobs that pay 10 bucks an hour, problem.


The fact that we can't pay a living wage, that's a real problem. Being targeted by terrorist, problem.

Michelle getting asked to get something off a shelf? Not a problem. Someone calling her uppidy, not a problem. Do you really think Hilary was free from white jokes around the black dinner table? Barbara Bush, no references to her character? All black people, have they stopped making white jokes? Asian jokes? Immigrant jokes? Fat jokes? Handicapped jokes? I think the playing field is getting pretty even....

It's a shame because as the presidents wife, she has seen the real problems occurring around the world. It's gross for her to compare herself, imo. She's a bit full of her own Koolaid.


Now if she said this to the troops, I know you will go out and face hardship in your future, I would have applauded her. A bunch of college grads battling racism in an America with a black president, Oprah W as one of the wealthiest people in our country, naw, they have plenty of examples that their skin color doesn't prevent success. They talk as if they have no role models in this country because black people can't accomplish anything. BS.

We should allow time to heal our wounds, a history lesson, of course we don't want a repeat and it was a worthy struggle that produced strong leaders. But now, and in our future. Just stop it. All men don't beat women, all whites are not racist, all hispanics are not illegal, all blacks are not angry, all Americans are not fat, all Asians are not smart, all stereotypes are stupid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2015, 10:12 AM
 
Location: Hyrule
8,398 posts, read 9,888,823 times
Reputation: 7441
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
If IYO there was nothing not unique to skin color or about race in that speech, then why are so many here and on Fixed News up in arms about it?

I disagree with your findings btw, I put my several of my own experiences with seeing discrimination against black skin color in that post.

You're mixing up the Target thing with her speech, btw. OP made it confusing, but she said nothing at all in her speech about being asked to help. He pulled that out of the past when his assumption that most people think like him proved wrong.
I thought you watched the "whole" speech? Guess you missed it.
She referred to being treated as the help, you know, the help (a Target employee) although I'm sure in her mind she was being treated like an old slave. That's why for her it's racism and for the rest of us it's not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2015, 10:22 AM
 
11,758 posts, read 5,546,891 times
Reputation: 7964
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
I thought you watched the "whole" speech? Guess you missed it.
She referred to being treated as the help, you know, the help (a Target employee) although I'm sure in her mind she was being treated like an old slave. That's why for her it's racism and for the rest of us it's not.
You mentioned that you are half-Asian. What if you are at the mall food court waiting in line with several white friends to get some food at Panda Express, and some lady starts asking you (not others) about "do you put MSG here?" or "what do you recommend", is that offensive? Should it be? Would you have gotten those questions if you weren't Asian?

Or as you are dropping off your dry cleaning, another customer comes in and hands you the dirty items. Is that because you are Asian, or just an honest mistake that could've happened to any white person too?

I have no idea what the answer is, but those questions would stay with you, for most/many people who experience that kind of thing.

Mick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2015, 10:22 AM
 
Location: Suffolk, Va
3,029 posts, read 2,116,253 times
Reputation: 1961
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Yes, much more so than feeling the need to inject race into a commencement speech. That is especially true of this day and age.

Everyone has it so much better now days, even the poor in this country. Our poor are rich by comparison to the worlds poor, having the taxpayers provide things other counties poor would kill to have. Granted our standard of living is higher, but the opportunity to get ahead is there, regardless of race or gender.
So for Michelle to say in 2008 she was proud for the first time in her adult life, it indicates a huge racial chip on her shoulder. To not be proud of a country that gave her parents the opportunities to raise her, and for her to go on to achieve what she did is frankly her boarding on being an ingrate.

As to feeling uncomfortable with people talking about race, it is never really a genuine talk. The liberals want you to agree with their positions, that all white people have privilege, and opposition to discriminatory programs like affirmative action means you are a racist. That is not a talk, it is a demand to knuckle under or face the consequences.
True discussions do not involve only PC approved thoughts, with any discussion against the liberal mantra being shouted down as racist/bigoted.

Michelle choose to inject race and forewarnings about future racism the graduates would face based on her own view. While she may be correct in some instances, we don't need young minds believing that if they falter, it likely will be because of race. The youth are already polarized enough with false narratives like "hands up, don't shoot". Do we want the First Lady helping to convince black youths that they should be looking for racial grievances if they do not get ahead?

As to the things she mentioned about people going to the other side of the street, or being watched in stores for fear of theft, that has happened to most people if they are paying attention. I'm a big guy, so if someone crosses to the other side of the road rather than walk past me, I don't assume it is because of my race. Yet a black with a racial chip on their shoulder might incorrectly assume that it is.
The difference is that she assumes it is based on being black. So what excuse would she give if she could see security in store and on cameras keeping an eye on white people they might suspect of shoplifting?

`
why do you keep ignoring the fact that she was speaking at a HBU? in light of all the racial strife and young black males feeling like they are being targeted by police (and wanna be police), her speech was very appropriate. do you deny that there is still much discrimination in the US?

the group that benefited the most from affirmative action were white women. and they still make less than white men. job discrimination is still very much a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2015, 10:23 AM
 
5,097 posts, read 2,485,759 times
Reputation: 4657
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
I feel they are unique though in the way theyve been treated by society for centuries... I think Id have more than a chip to be honest..
Reasonably so, then all women should have a chip on their shoulders. Women have been treated as second class citizens for centuries. Still today, there is unequal pay for the same job. Should women walk around feeling like victims simply because of gender? Obviously not, but if it is reasonable to react as an egocentric victim each and every time one is mistaken for the help, or in receipt of unequal pay, then all women should walk around with that same chip on their shoulders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2015, 10:26 AM
 
5,097 posts, read 2,485,759 times
Reputation: 4657
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
If IYO there was nothing not unique to skin color or about race in that speech, then why are so many here and on Fixed News up in arms about it?

I disagree with your findings btw, I put my several of my own experiences with seeing discrimination against black skin color in that post.

You're mixing up the Target thing with her speech, btw. OP made it confusing, but she said nothing at all in her speech about being asked to help. He pulled that out of the past when his assumption that most people think like him proved wrong.
I'm not up in arms about Michelle's comments. I think it's odd that anyone would assume that whatever she has to say is unique to people with a particular skin colour. I also think that Michelle should have a more positive tone when speaking with tomorrow's leaders. If her speech was intended to give people with black skin the impression that their experiences are a direct result of skin colour, then she is inciting social unrest - which is an incredibly stupid thing for someone in her position to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2015, 10:29 AM
 
86 posts, read 65,358 times
Reputation: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
Reasonably so, then all women should have a chip on their shoulders. Women have been treated as second class citizens for centuries. Still today, there is unequal pay for the same job. Should women walk around feeling like victims simply because of gender? Obviously not, but if it is reasonable to react as an egocentric victim each and every time one is mistaken for the help, or in receipt of unequal pay, then all women should walk around with that same chip on their shoulders.
And it would have been entirely appropriate for Michelle Obama or any other commencement speaker to give a speech at an all-women's college acknowledging struggles that pertain (although not uniquely) to all women. It's actually quite often the case. But we don't hear about it on CD because it's not about black people.

Remember - if you'd bothered to read the prior posts, that the the point of Mrs. Obama bringing up this subject was to say that none of the slights or hardships they faced is an excuse to give up, get angry, or lash out, but to become productive members of society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top