U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-16-2015, 11:42 AM
 
Location: Pittsburgh
22,582 posts, read 24,180,850 times
Reputation: 49075

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I will try, but was just going off of two news reports I watched. If someone else beats me too it, I will post the link in my OP.
Let me guess, Fox News?

I just read the text of the speech from the link posted and it's a really good one. Inspiring and thoughtful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-16-2015, 11:44 AM
Status: "Kamala/Pete 2020!! Make it happen, people." (set 22 days ago)
 
7,356 posts, read 2,939,722 times
Reputation: 6212
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Let me guess, Fox News?

I just read the text of the speech from the link posted and it's a really good one. Inspiring and thoughtful.


Exactly. I'm struggling to understand the OP's issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2015, 11:49 AM
 
9,361 posts, read 4,297,485 times
Reputation: 11049
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
Absolutely! People have different experiences and different struggles. She's speaking to an audience that may have the same struggles she did. I loved her speech and I can relate to it. To be honest, I'm really surprised you have a problem with it.
Did you love all her speech?
I ask because I am not trying to demonetize the entire speech, some of which seems fine. It is the parts where she brings race into it, as if preparing them for the racism they are certain to face in her mind. I just posted a video clip in the OP of the objectionable parts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2015, 11:55 AM
Status: "Kamala/Pete 2020!! Make it happen, people." (set 22 days ago)
 
7,356 posts, read 2,939,722 times
Reputation: 6212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Did you love all her speech?
I ask because I am not trying to demonetize the entire speech, some of which seems fine. It is the parts where she brings race into it, as if preparing them for the racism they are certain to face in her mind. I just posted a video clip in the OP of the objectionable parts.

I love the entire speech, yes.

Most likely, those kids will face racism, even if you choose not to acknowledge it. Is it really a difficult thing to understand?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2015, 11:57 AM
 
9,361 posts, read 4,297,485 times
Reputation: 11049
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Let me guess, Fox News?
The funny thing about criticism of FOX is that it implies they are like the National Enquirer and just make things up.
Did it even dawn on you or others who do not watch it, that other stations choose not to report on things negative about the (D's)?
It doesn't mean things are not happening, like the Gruber story the main stations ignored for weeks until Pelosi finally made a comment about him and she was caught in a lie about not knowing who he was. Up until that point in time, most everyone who did not watch FOX were weeks behind in seeing the videos. Yet this guy admitted how Obamacare had to be cloaked in a false narrative to get it past the CBO scoring, otherwise it never would have passed scrutiny. Don't you think something like that was news worthy?


As to your question, in my OP I mentioned that I saw a show called "Today", which I think is on one of the big 3 (CBS, NBC, or ABC,,,not sure which).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2015, 12:00 PM
 
Location: Central IL
15,253 posts, read 8,560,668 times
Reputation: 35693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I see you are from IL but have no clue about you. It is strictly up to you, but do you mind mentioning your gender & race to help out with the discussion
I ask not because it would be the sole reason, but I think this may be a factor in why we see things so differently.
First tell me exactly why you think my race and gender are important...
If I'm a black male - what would you say?
If I'm a black female - what would you say?
White female?
White male?

And what are you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2015, 12:07 PM
 
9,361 posts, read 4,297,485 times
Reputation: 11049
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
I love the entire speech, yes.

Most likely, those kids will face racism, even if you choose not to acknowledge it. Is it really a difficult thing to understand?
My goodness, yes anyone might encounter challenges and it would be a miracle if they didn't as life it not a bed of roses. However the First Lady who has made comments like this;


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVLc7B5cLLc

I've been proud of my country since I was a little kid. I didn't need to suddenly become proud of it in my adult life.
She too should have been proud of it her whole life, as few places on earth ever would have afforded her the opportunities she had here in the USA!

So the graduates should not assume racism is everywhere and/or the primary reason blacks might not get a job or be treated a certain way. God forbid they go walking through life assuming every time something doesn't go right for them, it might be because of their color.
Can you imagine how over time that would warp a persons perspective on themselves, other people, and ultimately this country?
Yet far too many people are walking around with chips on their shoulders, affecting everything they do or perceive.

`
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2015, 12:09 PM
 
20,647 posts, read 16,680,404 times
Reputation: 38811
So you didn't get the support you wanted about the speech, so let's pull 10,000 things out of her background....agenda much? Commenting on the speech was possibly a Current Event, but now all you're doing is trying to have a thread about how racist Mrs. Obama is, which IMO belongs on Politics. Make up your mind what the thread is about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2015, 12:10 PM
 
Location: State of Transition
78,936 posts, read 70,745,369 times
Reputation: 76907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I see you are from IL but have no clue about you. It is strictly up to you, but do you mind mentioning your gender & race to help out with the discussion
I ask not because it would be the sole reason, but I think this may be a factor in why we see things so differently.
Seriously? You think everyone thinks like you, unless there's a race or gender difference? Wow. Reality check. There's diversity of opinion everywhere.

People who differ in opinion from you don't have to identify their race and gender, or location (IL is significant, somehow? ) to "help out with the discussion". Take people's comments at face value.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2015, 12:11 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh
22,582 posts, read 24,180,850 times
Reputation: 49075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Seriously? You think everyone thinks like you, unless there's a race or gender difference? Wow. Reality check.
His opinions are the default.I believe that's what the kids are calling "white male privilege" these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:43 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top