U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-17-2015, 01:40 PM
 
44,195 posts, read 17,626,779 times
Reputation: 18629

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
By the time they are 22, all African-Americans know already that they are sometimes treated differently than similarly situated white people. I can't fathom how white people are able to dispute this in good faith? How do you even know? Did you wear a black face in public for a week, or something? lol

Mick
Oh please. Different than what? All I hear is a lot of bellyaching from people who complain about almost everything at the drop of a hat these days. Whites don't care or even think about endless Black complaints, they have their own issues to deal with.

The fact of the matter is that if life was 100% completely fair, then no doubt all of us posting here would have a whole lot less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-17-2015, 02:20 PM
 
11,758 posts, read 5,515,165 times
Reputation: 7964
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Oh please. Different than what? All I hear is a lot of bellyaching from people who complain about almost everything at the drop of a hat these days. Whites don't care or even think about endless Black complaints, they have their own issues to deal with.

The fact of the matter is that if life was 100% completely fair, then no doubt all of us posting here would have a whole lot less.
It's okay if you don't understand.

Mick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2015, 02:29 PM
 
44,195 posts, read 17,626,779 times
Reputation: 18629
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
It's okay if you don't understand.

Mick
You make the mistake of thinking that it's my burden to understand. It isn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2015, 02:31 PM
 
Location: Central IL
14,953 posts, read 8,351,052 times
Reputation: 35024
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Oh please. Different than what? All I hear is a lot of bellyaching from people who complain about almost everything at the drop of a hat these days. Whites don't care or even think about endless Black complaints, they have their own issues to deal with.

The fact of the matter is that if life was 100% completely fair, then no doubt all of us posting here would have a whole lot less.
No one disputes that life is unfair....but is it unfair in random, by-chance ways? Or is the deck loaded against certain people? THAT is what is being addressed here - and that is how discrimination is defined in court - events that occur too often to have occurred by chance alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2015, 02:32 PM
 
11,758 posts, read 5,515,165 times
Reputation: 7964
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
You make the mistake of thinking that it's my burden to understand. It isn't.
No, not a White Man's Burden, you are right.

Mick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2015, 03:00 PM
 
Location: Hyrule
8,401 posts, read 9,849,224 times
Reputation: 7441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith2187 View Post
Some whites say that blacks are too sensitive but God d### some of yall really don't want for us to even mention anything that is tied to racism. It's always shocking, divisive and race baiting because it makes some if you uncomfortable. You better believe that even if michelle didnt talk about it in her speech that what she said is already being said in black homes across America behind closed doors. You might not want to acknowledge race or the racist experiences that most black people face in this country but not wanting to hear that this is a reality because it's unrelatable to you and you think it's divisive doesn't take away from the fact that all over most blacks knew exactly what she meant and knew even before she said what she said that what she was saying was a reality. A reality I suppose to whites, Asians and other groups that are NOT black and therefore have not lived the black experience in America might not understand. Just like most of us would not understand what it is like to be you. So who are we to refuse to believe what your experiences are if we have not experienced a day in your shoes? Why do people hate to hear that not everyone has the same experiences in this country? I don't know what it's like to be Gay and I have never went through any awful experiences because of my sexuality. Yet I dont pretend that homosexuals don't have unique awful experiences simply because Im not gay and I don't try to relate my different unique experiences as a black person to a gay person because I don't know what its like to be gay and I also am aware that the experiences are most likely different. This doesn't take away from anything by acknowledging this.

Of course you find it shocking and divisive that she said what she said --it's a reality that some of you would prefer was not acknowledged since you can not relate and since it alludes this negativeness about race in America that makes you uncomfortable because you don't experience it.

This however is your prerogative. There is a reason most blacks across all
Spectrums understood her speech and did not find if divisive or baiting at all-we have had experiences that are as apalling as you found her speech. Are we not allowed to speak on this and not acknowledge this truth that exists for some of us just because it makes you feel uncomfortable or because you refuse to believe this happens?

Surely you don't believe that most blacks have chips on their shoulder and think all whites are racist and out to get us? We know that for all the bad experiences there are plenty of good. We also know that there are certain experiences that we have because of our skin that might make things more challenging but this acknowledgement is not a chip on our shoulder, it is our understanding of the reality we face... And most of us don't harbor any animosity toward a large group of varied individuals. We talk about our experiences because they are one aspect of our lives. Race is an aspect of who we are. We cannot pretend it does not exist.

Some of you keep mentioning her comment about being mistaken for the help, as if this is the only example of the black experience of racism. Its not. In fact ive never had the problem of being mistaken as the help. But I've had many that many of you that aren't black have not experienced and would not be able to relate to that I find just as shocking and inappropriate as you found her speech. But such is life. Most of us have had unique experiences where we've been mistreated, prejudged, or treated unfairly for a variety of reasons. In some cases these moments have had significant impacts on our lives other times they haven't. But most of us will acknowledge and talk about these moments because they contribute to our unique journeys. Black people have experiences in this country and we can talk about it. The same way homosexuals can talk about discrimination, or Muslims can talk about it. This is a country where we are free to acknowledge all of our experiences even if it makes others uncomfortable in the process.
Some of you say your slowly becoming racist because of XYZ, so be it. As if that is supposed to make us feel bad for acknowledging what you believe is wrong or what makes you feel uncomfortable? Most of us don't care. I don't. go on and be racist lol.

What she said was inspiring for the students who heard the speech and honestly that is all that matters. That speech wasnt to you or about you, and so your feelings about it are honestly amusing. I guess ignorance really is bliss.

Signed a black woman that does not give a f*** how you feel lol
Feel free to talk about it all you want, nobody cares if you talk about it and we already see you don't give a f***.

But, you aren't the first lady who represents a united nation. When she doesn't give a f*** it's a problem.


She was just pandering to her audience. Every high official that does that gets called out at one time or the other. Pandering is never a welcome.


Welcome to the life Mrs. Obama.....
Yours isn't the first speech to be picked on....and it won't be the last....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2015, 03:03 PM
 
2,498 posts, read 1,116,382 times
Reputation: 1420
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
It's okay if you don't understand.

Mick
Are you black? If not, have you ever really been around black people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2015, 03:24 PM
 
2,498 posts, read 1,116,382 times
Reputation: 1420
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
By the time they are 22, all African-Americans know already that they are sometimes treated differently than similarly situated white people. I can't fathom how white people are able to dispute this in good faith? How do you even know? Did you wear a black face in public for a week, or something? lol

Mick
"Similarly situated?" Do you work for the Justice Department? That's a b.s. term that they like to use when they're trying to claim racial discrimination when it doesn't actually exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2015, 03:42 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles
1,235 posts, read 1,348,080 times
Reputation: 1534
I am a white guy and I liked her speech just fine. Seemed very appropriate for the audience/college graduates she was speaking to.

One thing I don't get about some conservatives. They are very quick to criticize governments/political systems with limited freedom of expression ("red" China, Chavez's Venezuela, Iran, etc.). Yet when people exercise that right in the USA and say something critical about the U.S. they are accused of being divisive or not patriotic.

As for the YouTube link in the OP, total garbage: It calls the First Lady's speech "racist hate" but the only racist hate I saw was from the creator of the video. What the f$%k does the black murder rate have to do with a speech by the first lady to college graduates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2015, 03:49 PM
 
Location: Upstate NY
35,012 posts, read 10,325,277 times
Reputation: 32864
That's classic Michelle Obama.

What I find even more interesting is that she can't even keep her "incidents" of phony indignation straight. What was it...6 months ago that she crabbed about the same thing she mentioned at this commencement address? ...being mistaken for "the help." Hmmm....yes. A woman shopper at Target was audacious enough to [gasp!] ask the 6-foot tall MO to retrieve an item from the top shelf and, of course, this shopper did so because MO is black and, well, that makes her "the help."

Mrs. Obama clearly forgot offering this same tale on Letterman 3 years earlier, after which she laughed when recounting how the shopper good-naturedly told her that she "didn't have to make it look so easy." Mrs. Obama then affably followed up with Letterman that she was happy to help a shorter woman. I guess that wouldn't have elicited the successions of Amen! and Yes! from the commencement audience.

Moral of the story: Should you see MO at your local Target, do not ask this "fellow shopper" for a hand the way you probably do with others. Instead, ask any of the many Secret Service agents that surely must have accompanied her into a public store ....Oh, nevermind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top