Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2015, 08:37 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,422,324 times

Advertisements

I wasn't aware that the current First Lady was running for office. Pandering for votes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2015, 09:06 PM

16,578 posts, read 8,600,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Here's the real deal - any speech made by the First Lady has been looked over by a DOZEN people before she actually makes it - whether she initially wrote it herself or not, it has been examined and re-written several times.

This is not something live from the Maurie Povich show! This is not a pack of lies strung together for entertainment value! You may not agree with it but there's nothing that is really outrageous here or that is a lie. THE FIRST LADY IS SAYING THIS - it has been vetted - thoroughly - so get your head out of the sand and get with reality.
Interesting, so if it were vetted by conservative minded people instead of liberals, do you think it would have turned out the same?

Frankly, as I've said before, much of the speech was not bad, nor sent the wrong message. However the 3 minutes or so in the edited clip on YT shows the parts I and others would have preferred the First Lady of our country not have said to graduating students.

Old 05-17-2015, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
You're right, I didn't realize that there is even one African-American person who does not feel discriminated against even once in his/her life, but apparently I am wrong. There is at least one, and probably more.

So, please let me apologize, and edit my post to "practically all". Thank you.

Mick
Mick,

I asked you to define what meant by "being treated differently", so please take the time to do so. Maybe we will then have a better understanding of each others views, rather than assuming.

Old 05-17-2015, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
That's classic Michelle Obama.

What I find even more interesting is that she can't even keep her "incidents" of phony indignation straight. What was it...6 months ago that she crabbed about the same thing she mentioned at this commencement address? ...being mistaken for "the help." Hmmm....yes. A woman shopper at Target was audacious enough to [gasp!] ask the 6-foot tall MO to retrieve an item from the top shelf and, of course, this shopper did so because MO is black and, well, that makes her "the help."

Mrs. Obama clearly forgot offering this same tale on Letterman 3 years earlier, after which she laughed when recounting how the shopper good-naturedly told her that she "didn't have to make it look so easy." Mrs. Obama then affably followed up with Letterman that she was happy to help a shorter woman. I guess that wouldn't have elicited the successions of Amen! and Yes! from the commencement audience.

Moral of the story: Should you see MO at your local Target, do not ask this "fellow shopper" for a hand the way you probably do with others. Instead, ask any of the many Secret Service agents that surely must have accompanied her into a public store ....Oh, nevermind.
I was not aware of that, thanks for posting it.
You wouldn't have a video clip of it handy by any chance, would you?
(not asking because I doubt your veracity, just curious to see it, if it isn't too much trouble to find).

Old 05-17-2015, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Again, what leads some of you to be convinced that the incident at Target is at the core of Mrs. Obama's reference to being mistaken for the help? I've heard the story many times over, and it was clear that Mrs. Obama wasn't mistaken for being an employee. She was simply unrecognized, which, truth be told, is pretty amusing.
Did you see the picture of her supposedly taken when she was "undercover" in target?
I would not have recognized her, so she and the SS guys did a good job with the disguise.

`

Old 05-17-2015, 09:27 PM

Quote:
I don't consider myself part of "they." Why do you?

Well who do you think she is talking about, Nigerian exchange students?

Who do you think Holder was talking about when he said "my people"?
Maybe white Norwegians?

Old 05-17-2015, 09:40 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,364,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post

Well who do you think she is talking about, Nigerian exchange students?

Who do you think Holder was talking about when he said "my people"?
Maybe white Norwegians?
I think she was referring to racists, who come in all shades.

Old 05-17-2015, 10:39 PM

Quote:
I think she was referring to racists, who come in all shades.
While we can agree that racists can come in all shades, it is being obtuse for you to think she was speaking about blacks, browns, reds or yellows. The grievance industry has singled out whites as living privileged lives, ergo keeping others down in their place.
Heck, I am apparently part of a problem population according to the new professor at BU. Funny because I have worked my entire adult life since I was 17, given to charity, and donated countless hours helping other people out. None of my family, including my elderly parents are dependent on the government to take care of them, as that is my responsibility which I am happy to shoulder.
Heck I even helped build houses in the hood with Habitat Humanity. Yet somehow I and people like me are to be scorned because of our race and gender.

Old 05-17-2015, 10:43 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,364,015 times
Honestly, I have to wonder if any of you actually listened to Mrs. Obama's speech, which was all about not being defined or limited by -isms. Why are you letting others define you?

Old 05-17-2015, 10:51 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,602,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
Yes, your bad. Apology accepted.
What, no list?

Taking Mrs. Obamas stance, it applies to nobody and everbody at the same time? Just for show maybe?

I think when people tag someone with racism they should be direct, have a name and justification. It's just gross to through it out there like it holds no weight.

Grab some class on the way out, both of you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies