Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 01:17 PM

50,759 posts, read 36,458,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
And your contribution is on topic how?
I am not calling you out on it because I object, but it seems a little hypocritical.

As to not getting support, I am actually not looking for support, rather trying to see if my calibration is way off.
Sure everyone likes to think they are tuned in, and pats on the back are never unwelcome. However I do wish to hear opposing points of view (whether I agree or not) which might help to give me a better understanding.
For example Javacoffee made an interesting point which might explain why this speech might be more acceptable under the circumstances (i.e. not a speech to the nation). While I'd still like to think any commencement speech should not focus on potential racism/sexism etc.(i.e. things that divide us), if the same speech would be taken poorly if addressed to the nation by her, we are not that far off.

`
You're not so much asking for opinions as trying to push yours. You asked our opinion on THIS speech, (the Current Event, appropriate) and when we held opinions you didn't approve of or that didn't align with yours, you expanded the topic from this speech by pulling out things from her past that have nothing to do with this speech but instead are intended to foster a more global debate on whether she's a racist (not a Current Event and inappropriate here) Is the topic about THIS speech, or isn't it? If it's not, take it to politics like the other Angry White Men do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2015, 01:21 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,944,732 times
This blind acceptance (by the majority of black people) of everything the Obamas do is disturbing. Her speech was full of "they", "them" and "some people". If that is not divisive I don't know what is.

She should have been encouraging, congratulatory, and if anything - encouraged students to live their lives in honorable, successful ways that will help dispel the negative image of blacks created by the ghetto crowd.

White female.

Old 05-16-2015, 01:26 PM

29,742 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
She should have been encouraging, congratulatory, and if anything - encouraged students to live their lives in honorable, successful ways that will help dispel the negative image of blacks created by the ghetto crowd.
This is exactly what she said:

Quote:
And, graduates, that’s what we need from all of you. We need you to channel the magic of Tuskegee toward the challenges of today. And here’s what I really want you to know -- you have got everything you need to do this. You’ve got it in you. Because even if you’re nervous or unsure about what path to take in the years ahead, I want you to realize that you’ve got everything you need right now to succeed. You’ve got it.

You’ve got the knowledge and the skills honed here on this hallowed campus. You’ve got families up in the stands who will support you every step of the way. And most of all, you’ve got yourselves -- and all of the heart, and grit, and smarts that got you to this day.

And if you rise above the noise and the pressures that surround you, if you stay true to who you are and where you come from, if you have faith in God’s plan for you, then you will keep fulfilling your duty to people all across this country. And as the years pass, you’ll feel the same freedom that Charles DeBow did when he was taking off in that airplane. You will feel the bumps smooth off. You’ll take part in that “never-failing miracle” of progress. And you’ll be flying through the air, out of this world -- free.
And the mere fact that you first and foremost associate "black" with "ghetto" and that these bright, college educated students have to prove that they aren't thugs is exactly why her speech is important.

Old 05-16-2015, 01:30 PM

86 posts, read 82,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
This is exactly what she said:

And the mere fact that you first and foremost associate "black" with "ghetto" is exactly why her speech is important.
I think part of the problem is that they can't (or won't) recognize that the video was a 3 minute excerpt from an entire commencement speech, posted with the specific agenda of making Mrs. Obama look racist.

Old 05-16-2015, 01:34 PM

766 posts, read 1,394,827 times
I'm not going to read all the pgs of this thread, or links. 1st let me say.... I'm totally fed up with the racism crap going on with recent trends, news, culture, or whatever.

But I can offer a different insight. I am WHITE! Was born middle class white 1963. (you do the math, of that age)

I was also BORN with psoriasis. I mean BLOODY scabs everywhere psoriasis. My parents had to put white cotton gloves on me, from the youngest of age, or I would scratch myself into a bloody mess!

There's a REASON I choose to be an INTROVERT! Because I learned early on, in elementary school, just how cruel, mean, and vile other kids can be. Ya see.... I was the one with *cooties*.... don't go near HER... you'll get *cooties*.

I personally can't stand Obama or his wife. Can't stand the last few Pres Families we've had either.
Back in the early 60's I learned to *feel* for the blacks. Why? Because I was a young white child also being frowned upon because I didn't look *right* to everybody else. Back in the 60's, kids with psoriasis just wasn't the norm!

I know what it's like to be an OUTCAST! I'm fed up with the racism card being overplayed. But I've also lived an *outcast* life. I understand both sides of the coin.

Old 05-16-2015, 01:40 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,944,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
And the mere fact that you first and foremost associate "black" with "ghetto" and that these bright, college educated students have to prove that they aren't thugs is exactly why her speech is important.
Please. This hypersensitivity and imagined slights have gotten beyond old. If I said low-life people of color, you be on me about calling them low-life. I used "ghetto" because everyone knows what I'm talking about (including you) when the term is used.

Underprivileged and underachieving African Americans with a propensity to commit criminal and violent behavior. Is that better?

My point was that she in no way asked them to disassociate and rise above the negative influences in their own culture, but instead stirred up resentment with her "they", "them" and "some people" rhetoric.

Old 05-16-2015, 01:40 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,164,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
So far as we know, She has lived a life of privelidge, went to the best schools, never toiled in a factory, or in some minimum wage job. Pretty much handed to her everything she could hope for without really putting any kind of real commitment. Remember that cushy $300,000 a year job that was basically handed to her because her hubby was a senator?
I remember a speech during the 2008 DNC Convention where she talked about how her blue- and pink-collar parents worked hard to raise her and her brother in the notoriously challenged South Side of Chicago. Her parents were apparently supportive role models as she was able to work hard and graduate with a Harvard law degree. Her brother is an accomplished college basketball coach. While I wouldn't put it past Illinois politics for a wealthy supporter to hand out a patronage job, I suppose $300K might be a going rate for an experienced Harvard Law School graduate.

So no, not much privilege until perhaps January 2009. And even then, no more arguably than any other Presidential family. But back to the speech...

It was totally appropriate for the audience. Most Black people - if not also many other people of color and perhaps even some lower-income White people - understood the micro- and macro-aggressions she was talking about. If anything, I was floored by her honesty. I think we will continue to see such blunt and honest talk from the President and Mrs. Obama as the "lame duck" season continues.

(EDIT: I did not see Ruth4Truth's post of Mrs. Obama's Wiki which is much more thorough than my recollection.)

Old 05-16-2015, 01:45 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,618,587 times
Meh

It was an "us" vs "them" speech & "look at me, I got mine despite whitey". Really didn't expect anything else from her.

History will remember Michelle Obama as a footnote for being the wife of the first mulatto president of the USA. Nothing more, nothing less.

(I read the speech. Like many of the world's leaders who want Obama to leave her at home now, I find her general demeanor to be annoying at best.)

Old 05-16-2015, 01:55 PM

5,249 posts, read 3,607,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
For those of you who have heard it, I would assume most would feel the way I do. That being that not only was it beneath the First Lady of the United States to make such a divisive speech, but that she herself seems to be full of resentment (maybe even hatred). ...

The point of discussion I am getting at is that aside from the partisan koolaid drinking supporters of the Obama's, how can people see that speech in any type of a positive light?
Are we so polarized as a nation now that what I perceive to be a poor example of our countries First Lady's speech, can be seen by others as something positive?
Is it related to race, in that 6+ years of racial animus stirred up by Barak/Holder/Sharpton has caused black people to see things strictly through a lens of grievance?

I have not had the chance to discuss this with my black or liberal friends yet, so I wanted see what my fellow CD posters think of the this.

`

Wow... your assumption is so wrong that I wonder if it is even worth responding since your perspective is so off the mark... off the charts really. If you really consider yourself a fair minded person let me assure you that you are not at all if the post here is any example. You have an agenda & that interpreted her real life experiences through that filter into "she has held grievances (real and perceived) and that she has a massive chip on her shoulder." Explaining one's past experiences honestly isn't anything like "having a chip" on one's shoulder.

Yes tell us how your "black friends" react to your characterization of 6+ years of racial animus stirred up by "Barak" & Sharpton... because everyone equates them together, do you assume that too?

Old 05-16-2015, 01:57 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,826,300 times
If she thinks things are bad here why not emigrate back to Africa?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies