U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2015, 05:11 PM

11,758 posts, read 5,515,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
As I asked in an earlier post, would a distinguished black woman like Condi Rice have made such comments to the same audience? Personally I don't think she would, but then again based on this thread, what do I know.
I don't know, but in this YouTube video titled, "Harvard Lecture - Condoleezza Rice Overcoming Racism", Dr. Rice is talking about, gulp, overcoming racism! Wut, how can you overcome something that does not exist?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2bew64Oxjo

Let me ask this. How come people whose message you agree with, namely, conservatives like Condoleezza Rice, Colin Powell, Ben Carson, Michael Steele, Clarence Thomas, Herman Cain, Alan Keyes, etc., you consider them to be very smart and to not have benefitted from affirmative action? However, when a black or Latino politician is a Democrat, s/he is automatically an affirmative action baby? Unless you have a person's SAT score and GPA in hand, how can you tell? Sure, you can look at the results a person achieved at school and take a guess (and I am sure that many/some did well or well enough), but you cannot know whether his/her admission was relaxed due to race.

Mick

Last edited by MTQ3000; 05-16-2015 at 05:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2015, 05:12 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,080,054 times
Vector1, thanks for sticking to your guns and continuing to even post to those who have appointed themselves apologists for the Obamas. It's difficult to believe they think whatever the Obamas say or do is okay. There has never been a president who has enjoyed such admiration and approval or been on such a high pedestal, an enviable position. Criticism of previous presidents was all right. It was acceptable that they sometimes did wrong. Their race was never a problem. Race with Obama is the MAIN question. Nothing else matters to so many. Early on in his term I commented about something he did that I didn't like and I was immediately labeled a racist which was ridiculous. I didn't like a lot of things Bush or Clinton did, but nothing was said about racism then.

Old 05-16-2015, 05:23 PM

29,568 posts, read 16,406,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
I don't know, but in this YouTube video titled, "Harvard Lecture - Condoleezza Rice Overcoming Racism", Dr. Rice is talking about, gulp, overcoming racism! Wut, how can you overcoming something that does not exist?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2bew64Oxjo

Let me ask this. How come people whose message you agree with, namely, conservatives like Condoleezza Rice, Colin Powell, Ben Carson, Michael Steele, Clarence Thomas, Herman Cain, Alan Keyes, etc., you consider them to be very smart and to not have benefitted from affirmative action? However, when a black or Latino politician is a Democrat, s/he is automatically an affirmative action baby? Unless you have a person's SAT score and GPA in hand, how can you tell? Sure, you can look at the results a person achieved at school and take a guess (and I am sure that many/some did well or well enough), but you cannot know whether his/her admission was relaxed due to race.

Mick
That was a fabulous find. I see the Michelle haters are pointedly trying to avert their eyes to your thread.

Old 05-16-2015, 05:27 PM

3,772 posts, read 1,941,213 times
I believe much of our problem stems from the liberal masses expecting us all to be color blind. If we even notice that someone is white, black or Hispanic, someone will call us on it...make us out to be racists, when in fact, all we're doing is talking about what we see. I refuse to pretend I'm stupid enough not to be able to distinguish black from white.

It isn't racist for the OP to ask his question. It isn't racist for anyone else to ask for clarification on something they don't understand about another race. Why do people get so touchy about that? Stop it! Yes, there will always be pockets of racism on all sides. The news media will find them and put a magnifying glass on those pockets. But for those of us who are educated and eager to step out of the past, let's listen to each other and communicate more.

Old 05-16-2015, 05:27 PM

4,642 posts, read 6,443,252 times
How many people listened to the whole speech? Here it is.

https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=qhUKwl5NFgE

Old 05-16-2015, 05:42 PM

11,758 posts, read 5,515,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
Vector1, thanks for sticking to your guns and continuing to even post to those who have appointed themselves apologists for the Obamas. It's difficult to believe they think whatever the Obamas say or do is okay.
On the flip side, there are millions of conservatives who think whatever the Obamas say or do is reprehensible. Don't believe me? Watch Fox News and listen to right wing talk radio. Or listen to any Republican in Congress. None of them ever, I mean, ever, agree with the President. How can open minded people disagree on absolutely anything and everything? We all know the answer - no, not racism; they already have their mind made up based on ideology.

Quote:
There has never been a president who has enjoyed such admiration and approval or been on such a high pedestal, an enviable position.
You haven't been following his approval ratings, have you? He is one of the most reviled President in recent history, right up there with Bush.

Quote:
Criticism of previous presidents was all right. It was acceptable that they sometimes did wrong. Their race was never a problem. Race with Obama is the MAIN question. Nothing else matters to so many. Early on in his term I commented about something he did that I didn't like and I was immediately labeled a racist which was ridiculous. I didn't like a lot of things Bush or Clinton did, but nothing was said about racism then.
When a white person (assuming) like you are criticizing Bush or Clinton, why would anything about racism be mentioned? No one can criticize Obama? Have you ever read conservative blogs and papers, and watched/listened to Fox News and AM radio talk shows? 90% of the programming is about Obama.

Mick

Old 05-16-2015, 05:50 PM

14,953 posts, read 8,351,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
What am I?

I already said what I am in the opening post, or didn't you read it?

As to why I ask, it is more curiosity than anything else. However something that is starting to coalesce in my mind, is that my black friends and the ones I associate with, might not be representative of a majority of blacks.
Or at least that is the way the media might be framing it to the point of my seriously wondering if it is true.

I say this based on things like the OJ trial and how it seemed that so many blacks saw the trial and verdict differently than the rest of the country (i.e. all other races). That was really the first time I ever noticed what a huge difference in perception there was between most races and blacks.
The most recent example was the Zimmerman vs. Martin incident where many blacks interviewed seemed to be willing to totally ignore any facts in the case that mitigated the liberal news media version of what happened.

`
Sorry - in journalist speak, you "buried the lede" right in the middle of your rant. Yeah, you shouldn't assume everyone will agree with you, ESPECIALLY if you're a white male. BTW, I'm a white female...so NOW how do you feel about my opinion and how it doesn't agree with yours?

Old 05-16-2015, 06:10 PM

1,932 posts, read 1,281,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Why should the First Lady paint a rosy picture when that has not been her experience? She is in a great position to "tell it like it is". From what I could tell she acknowledged all she has been able to achieve but also what she has seen along the way. We need some candor rather than sugar-coating...people of color have experienced this and this helps validate that - it also shows just how widespread discriminatory behaviors are. I would expect no less from a First Lady than to educate others!
She grew up going to elite schools and colleges and is the first lady of the US, yeah, she has it so bad. Obviously racist have held her back. She's had every opportunity in this country as anyone else, but time and time again, we hear her complaining about "those people" who have treated her badly. Who are these people? Is it all about her race or is it just regular life occurrences that we all face, but yet most of us don't attribute every negative thing in life to our race. We deal with it and move on, not complain and whine while we have lived a life that many others would ever dream of. Maybe a few more weeks in Hawaii would make her happy?

Last edited by Hollynla; 05-16-2015 at 06:38 PM..

Old 05-16-2015, 07:24 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,080,054 times
Mick, you're another one defending whatever Obama says or does as being A-ok. I don't agree, so ain't that just too bad. LOL....l

Old 05-16-2015, 07:30 PM

1,996 posts, read 2,126,765 times
Shame on anyone whose impulse is to criticize someone for telling the truth. That is what the first lady did in her speech. If her speech made you uncomfortable then consider yourself lucky. You only had to deal with the topics she mentioned for the few minutes she gave her speech. The students she was speaking to have had to (and will continue) to deal with those issues for their entire lives.

The reason you've never heard a first lady speak that way is because every single first lady that preceded Michelle Obama were not minorities who had to go through the ordeals that she did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or