Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 10:53 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
What do you mean they don't have the power? They have the power to make themselves more valuable to an employer. Every generation has that power. I'm saying that as the boomers retire more and more jobs will open. If they're smart and ready to take those positions or set themselves up in a service industry business they'll do just fine. The boomers aging and retiring is going to create lost of opportunities for the younger generations.

Gen-X I kind of feel sorry for. The boomers weren't moving out of the work force to make room for them and the economy quit growing on them. The millennials are positioned to have a much easier time as boomers retire and vacate jobs and start needing more and more services provided for them as they age. Now is the time to go into nursing or start a service business that the elderly would use.
I meant politically they don't have power. The youth rarely does unless they get people on their sides like mothers during Nam.

Making themselves more valuable to employers is a tricky thing. No more than eight years ago a 4 year degree in an Arizona state public university (the ASU, NAU or UofA) was HALF the price as it is now due to all the budget cuts passed by the state financing them. That is two times the savings they need vs what people in their shoes eight years ago did. That means many need to go into debt but we have seen that the degree don't mean squat. The entry-level jobs that existed eight years ago now require blue squirrel requirements that basically call for two years of being a paid intern with the company.

Could there be a light at the end of the tunnel with boomers retiring, perhaps. Who knows how many jobs will be off-shored, outsourced or automated. We may see more jobs created too, we may not. Nostradamus might not clearly predict things. For all we know Gen Xers could see a bounce back too as they have time to rebuild for retirement like some boomers have not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2015, 01:28 AM

15,080 posts, read 20,472,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRudisha View Post
The upcoming generation is living paycheck-to-paycheck, as the number of good jobs keeps finishing and the cost of living keeps rising. Does this process have any chance of being reversed?
And other generations have never done so?

[that ain't new]

Old 05-17-2015, 01:56 AM

1,720 posts, read 1,316,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
That sums up the millennial attitude. They want a guarantee or why bother. Guess what there are NEVER guarantees in life. Do you think everyone else who paid for school or training was guaranteed a job? In spite of the out of touch whining from some, no they didn't.

Here's why there are so many useless college grads working dead end minimum wage jobs, if any, because no one is holding their hand and carrying them.
Umm, you do realize that statistically and historically, last time I checked, and I can recheck, that only about 33% of the population has a Bachelors Degree. That means if you line 10 people up side by side only the first 3 will have completed 16 years of education. That's 16 years of formal schooling. There are guys I knew and know that did better then most college grads today with a H.S. Diploma which back in the day was a measure of competence for most jobs which usually included full medical and dental plans paid plus pension.

Are you going to seriously postulate that anyone who is in the top 1/3rd of all people, regardless of major, in their pier group should be subject to working "dead end minimum wage jobs, if any"? in this country? Because if you and others here are it's the end of the U.S. as a first world country and the dollar will follow.

Like I said I know and knew guys born in the 30's and 40's with H.S. diplomas who did better then most college grads will today and believe me they did not necessarily get 4.0's in H.S. some of them not even close. And yet today the attitude is some people in the top 1/3rd of all people in the country who have earned a Bachelors Degree which means 16 years of formal education with the grades to get into college in the first place which is more then a lot of the guys I know ever did deserve to make minimum wage or a little more like $10.00 or $12.00 an hour with loans, if not less, because they were born in the wrong decade. Good luck with this paradigm lasting. And believe me, it will not.

Old 05-17-2015, 05:39 AM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,978,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CK78 View Post
Umm, you do realize that statistically and historically, last time I checked, and I can recheck, that only about 33% of the population has a Bachelors Degree. That means if you line 10 people up side by side only the first 3 will have completed 16 years of education. That's 16 years of formal schooling. There are guys I knew and know that did better then most college grads today with a H.S. Diploma which back in the day was a measure of competence for most jobs which usually included full medical and dental plans paid plus pension.

Are you going to seriously postulate that anyone who is in the top 1/3rd of all people, regardless of major, in their pier group should be subject to working "dead end minimum wage jobs, if any"? in this country? Because if you and others here are it's the end of the U.S. as a first world country and the dollar will follow.

Like I said I know and knew guys born in the 30's and 40's with H.S. diplomas who did better then most college grads will today and believe me they did not necessarily get 4.0's in H.S. some of them not even close. And yet today the attitude is some people in the top 1/3rd of all people in the country who have earned a Bachelors Degree which means 16 years of formal education with the grades to get into college in the first place which is more then a lot of the guys I know ever did deserve to make minimum wage or a little more like $10.00 or $12.00 an hour with loans, if not less, because they were born in the wrong decade. Good luck with this paradigm lasting. And believe me, it will not.
There's so much wrong with the assumptions made to create your comment. We'll start with the fact that that anyone qualifies for entry into college; the standards are that low.

The education-industrial complex thrives when more suckers are indoctrinated into the idea that the doors to earnings potential are closed unless they sit interminably in classrooms for every niggling vocational detail. That no lateral movement, let alone vertical, is possible unless another graduate degree is accummulated for the new discipline of pursuit. That the job applicant can't wipe her own rear end without a degree.

It's now an arms race where jobseekers attempted to amass ever larger caches of academic credentials--and more were created--in order to try to topple other employment candidates. It became increasingly mandatory to sit through and pay for new credentialing programs more than than anything because hirers also had to before you. Experience, common sense, self initiatiated development began to account for less in a decision where, insidiously, those who rose through the collegiate system into hiring roles insisted not on problem solvers but on 'dues' payers who could appreciate firsthand what they themselves were compelled to go through.

Here's how the folly winds down a little:

1. As with housing, bubbles are popped only when they can no longer be sustained from the buy side. It's happening now with formal education; it should have happened with 'health care'--but there was too much pill and device manufacturing, and services, muscle behind the last.

2. Participants who find themselves painted into corners by the consequences of their contributions to formal educational elitism may now be rejected for alternative avenues of employment without going back to school yet again, which they may not be able to afford to do. And then they may still not get hired after that.

Last edited by mm4; 05-17-2015 at 05:55 AM..

Old 05-17-2015, 05:53 AM

19,025 posts, read 14,201,797 times
The plight of Millennials is but a part of the whole mess.

Major Factors that cannot be resolved under the current regime:
[] Usury:
___ Impossible to repay public debt
___ Bankruptcy
___ Underwriting worthless IOUs (“dollar bills”)
___ Devaluation of the circulating medium (Inflation)
___ Impossible to repay private debt (outstanding obligations v. paper currency)
___ Ever increasing need for more tax revenues and deficit spending
[] Collectivism
___ Abolition of private property
___ Loss of one’s rights to absolutely own self, labor, children, and property
___ Transfer of power and revenue to the State
___ Income taxation (and related tax shift inflation)
___ Hidden taxes amount to an export tax penalizing American production
[] Status Criminals
___ Paupers (recipients of entitlements)
___ Vagabonds (aka “residents”)
___ Fugitives from justice (guilty until proven innocent)
[] Corruption and perversion of servant government
___ Legalized bribery (“campaign contributions”; “defense contracts for each congressional district”)
___ Logrolling unrelated items into giant omnibus bills so that everything becomes a partisan political battle over unrelated issues
___ Expansion of control over that which is NOT mandated by the original compact - but authorized by consent gained via fraud and deception
___ Infiltration by predators who have perverted the law to penalize the victims and reward the predators
___ Corrupt elections

. . .
A collapsing nation is not pretty to witness.

Old 05-17-2015, 09:55 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
The millennials are broke because they think they can start life as middle class.

They are up to their eyeballs in debt..student loan, car, mortgage.

It's bad enough they are starting out with student loan debt but easy credit allows them to take on even more debt which depletes their disposable income.

God forbid they buy a used car and rent an apartment/house.

There's nothing left to save and invest.

I have no pity for them. They want to be the patriotic "consumer" then let them give away all their money each and every paycheck. When they are 65 they will realize they should have invested in themselves first.

Old 05-17-2015, 10:50 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,503,175 times
I hear all the stories about how young people are lazy, living in their parent's basement and unable to find decent jobs. Yet the late-teens/20-somethings I know are all hard working and quite successful. Several are in college or recent graduates and have either good, full time jobs or have them lined up upon graduation. Many are doing well enough to afford really nice trucks or motorcycles, let alone computers and smart phones. Many are married, own their own homes and are making good money. The ones I'm working with seem to be doing well, as are the children of my friends and co-workers.

So where are these lazy, useless ones that are whining away from mommies basement? Well, other than here on CD. The difference I see is that the ones I know were raised with a decent work ethic, got degrees or training in fields that actually are in demand (including several in skilled trades) and actually WORK. Unlike so many that went to college in basket-weaving fields and now whine that their skills only qualify them for jobs that involve "would you like fries with that".

Old 05-17-2015, 11:20 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
What do you mean they don't have the power? They have the power to make themselves more valuable to an employer. Every generation has that power.
They also have the power to start their own business like millions of others have.

Old 05-17-2015, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK78 View Post
Are you going to seriously postulate that anyone who is in the top 1/3rd of all people, regardless of major, in their pier group should be subject to working "dead end minimum wage jobs, if any"? in this country?
Yes, many should. Just because they got a degree does not mean they are productive. I worked with lots of college graduates who weren't worth much more than minimum wage.

And why do you think a college degree is necessary? Millions of us have made a comfortable living without one. It frequently is more about attitude and effort than the degree. Today, more than ever, a kid can easily learn what he needs to via the internet for free or low cost rather than spending a fortune in college.

Old 05-17-2015, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
So where are these lazy, useless ones that are whining away from mommies basement? Well, other than here on CD.
Like you, I don't know any but they are out there:

Almost half a million college graduates are working minimum-wage jobs, according to new government statistics.
There were 260,000 Americans with bachelor’s degrees earning the federal minimum wage of $7.25 an hour or less in 2013, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics’ newest annual snapshot of minimum wage workers. Another 200,000 associate’s degree holders also worked for that wage.
These figures are sure to understate the total number of people with higher education degrees who are working minimum wage jobs because data does not factor in state minimum wage laws that are higher than the federal floor. That means that likely thousands of workers in the 21 states with higher minimum pay rates are likely also degree-holders.

Half A Million People With College Degrees Are Working For Minimum Wage
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies