Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 08:35 PM

364 posts, read 277,475 times

Advertisements

Via a book about Jack London

It was not the hard work he objected to- indeed he had already proved his love of physical exertion-it was the pointlessness and the drudgery of it,the idea of slaving at a pittance of a wage for a class of owners and investors who lived like lords and took their sense of entitlement for granted.It was being lied to and doubtless laughed at by owners who never questioned that a dollar a day was the best that people like him should expect for killing themselves.

To defeat any attempts to belittle this thread I will say this
YES wages are slightly higher today than they were over 100 years ago although no where near enough.
YOU do not get to be the decider of what is hard work and what is not. Period.
Any person putting in a days work deserves a legit and fair share of pay that fair share is enough to pay bills and rent.

Again thank you Jack London. Favorite person EVER.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2015, 08:39 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times
If it bothers you so much, why don't you start your own business? Be your own boss, run things the way you'd like them run. Go for it man.

Old 05-15-2015, 08:41 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,932,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
If it bothers you so much, why don't you start your own business? Be your own boss, run things the way you'd like them run. Go for it man.
Yes, with hiss love for things Jack London he obviously has the intelligence to run his own business out of which he can offer his employees a fair, decent living wage!

Old 05-15-2015, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Why is it this is you people's ONLY reply? Pretty old and sad....I have gone over this several times as to WHY I not only DON'T want a business but why I can't start one...oh and if I did my employees WOULD get paid a decent wage. I would never employ someone at a miserable wage I would rather do all the work myself than employ someone for a meager pathetic wage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Yes, with hiss love for things Jack London he obviously has the intelligence to run his own business out of which he can offer his employees a fair, decent living wage!
Jack London was a great American and Author at that.....I am surprised most people don't like him.

Old 05-15-2015, 08:47 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,116,580 times
Quote:
That's silly and isn't the point. But btw, small businesses fail more often than they succeed so I never understood the recent phenomenon of putting business owners and starters on a pedestal.

Old 05-15-2015, 08:50 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORION83 View Post
Why is it this is you people's ONLY reply? Pretty old and sad....I have gone over this several times as to WHY I not only DON'T want a business but why I can't start one...oh and if I did my employees WOULD get paid a decent wage. I would never employ someone at a miserable wage I would rather do all the work myself than employ someone for a meager pathetic wage.

Jack London was a great American and Author at that.....I am surprised most people don't like him.
So are you too lazy? Not smart enough? Not willing to put in the hours? Want a life outside of your business?

If so...just why should the few people that are smart, hard working and dedicated enough be willing to pay you a wage that is far beyond what you will ever produce? Capitalist provide the ideas, tools and materials to allow people that are less capable to produce far more than they ever could on their own. And pay them far more than they would ever make based on their own ambition, ability and efforts.

IIRC Jack London wrote a story about a dog once. I read it in 3rd grade.

Old 05-15-2015, 08:57 PM

Quote:
So are you too lazy? Not smart enough? Not willing to put in the hours? Want a life outside of your business?

If so...just why should the few people that are smart, hard working and dedicated enough be willing to pay you a wage that is far beyond what you will ever produce? Capitalist provide the ideas, tools and materials to allow people that are less capable to produce far more than they ever could on their own. And pay them far more than they would ever make based on their own ambition, ability and efforts.

WHY is my problem and only mine. I would only run a business if it was something I love to do. I don't feel the need nor think there is a market for such a business and its still my hobby. Books. Oh and that's shows how very very little you know about London. Its not a surprise I pretty much already figured that out.

Old 05-15-2015, 09:02 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
That's silly and isn't the point. But btw, small businesses fail more often than they succeed so I never understood the recent phenomenon of putting business owners and starters on a pedestal.
perhaps because small business owners and starters are the ones wiling to take the risks needed to succeed? perhaps because they are the ones trying to make things better for themselves and others? if you always want to play it safe, then you just go to work, do your job, and then go home, and essntially never get anywhere, and then you can complain about working that dead end job.

on the other hand, you can go out and raise the money needed to start a business, put together a business plan, find a location, start the business and run it. you put in the time, you put in the sweat, you put in the nee4ded effort to make the business succeed. and for the first year and a half the business goes or dies based on your will and efforts. you make all the decisions, you run the business your way, and you reap all the rewards for your efforts.

if you planned well, and put in the needed effort, and customers decided that your business was needed, or was better than a similar business, then you succeed. on the other hand if you dont put in the effort, if you dont read the market right, if your customers dont like your business, then you lose.

this is the win or lose deal you make when you start your own business. when you win, you tend to win big, when you lose, you lose.

Old 05-15-2015, 09:08 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Apply for a North Korean Visa OP.

Old 05-15-2015, 09:21 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,932,942 times
Quote:

For over half of my working life, I am 67 now, I've owned by own business.

I am 67 and still working and I lament that if only I had earned half the money my employees were convinced I made I could have quit and retired 10 years ago.

For most of those years I earned a higher than median income but nowhere near what some thought. Factoring inflation into the mix I earned the equivalent of maybe $70k to $110k per year which is nowhere near rich. Meanwhile my employees were all convinced I easily drew three times that from the company and I only wish.

While I earned double what my employees earned my hours were grueling. In the 80's and 90's it was normal that I worked 12 hour to 14 hour days Monday through Friday and I always went in Saturday for at least half a day. I would say I worked 60 to70 hours weekly on a regular basis.

On a per hour worked I had employees earn more money than I did. I'd pay John $1,000 for the week (construction on federal prevailing wage jobs) and I'd take $1,600 but John worked 40 hours ($24.75/hour in the 90's) while I literally worked 70.

Low on money the number of times I left my payroll check un-cashed in my desk so my employees checks wouldn't bounce were countless. In my entire life I never bounced a check and my employees were always paid on time.

I took all the risks, my employees never took any. They would get paid regardless of whether they screwed up or not... all the risk was always mine.

If you are jealous of the business owner and feel you deserve some of the profits tell me why you shouldn't be on the hook either? Like 2000 when a big customer went belly up leaving me holding the bag? No regrets, I took a six figure loss and never grumbled about it because I owned the business and deserved all the profits accepting the fact that any losses would be mine as well. My income tax return showed I had less than one third of the income for 2,000 than I had in 1999. ALL my employees earned more than I did in 2,000 but I never grumbled because the losses were mine. This same year I had an employee forget to put a plug back in a pipe flooding out a lobby to a nursing home. Some walls, some paint and new carpet to the tune of $7,000 that all came out of my pocket. Employees love singing the profits but when you got losses they live on another planet. Not complaining mind you, just telling it like it is.

Oh, and with completed operations you do not turn in a $7,000 loss to your insurance company unless you want to see next years insurance skyrocket from $25,000 to $40,00 for the next five years. You eat it like a man and go on.

I am not complaining, I had a great work life and loved it but owning your own business is a whole lot harder than a lot of people seem to believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies