U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2015, 07:12 PM

12,775 posts, read 7,794,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
Yet some are making excuses for the moochers who do this. The truly needy aren't buying ho hos or soda or lobsters
No one is making excuses for moochers.

Do you think every single person who gets food stamps is undeserving and a moocher?

These stories crack me up!!!!!!!!

We have a trust fund baby posting here who is taking money that he did not work for or earn yet he complains about people getting food they did not work for and earn; what's the difference?

Thanks for the chuckles!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2015, 07:17 PM

10,026 posts, read 9,199,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post

Do you think every single person who gets food stamps is undeserving and a moocher?

We have a trust fund baby posting here who is taking money that he did not work for or earn yet he complains about people getting food they did not work for and earn; what's the difference?

Thanks for the chuckles!
I'm not a trust fund baby and don't know anyone like that. I stated not everyone receiving food stamps I'd a moocher but many are. Someone spending it all on junk food is a moocher.

Old 05-17-2015, 07:26 PM

17,087 posts, read 9,802,637 times
ENOUGH about the lobster! Somebody please explain to me why it makes sense for SNAP recipients to be prohibited from buying bulk foods, which are almost always the best value at my local market. Why is jarred pasta sauce disallowed? It is not more cost-effective to make pasta sauce from scratch using an onion, garlic, and tomatoes. Why are nuts prohibited? Why no shrimp? Why no sharp cheddar? When I fed my family of five for 2+ months on a SNAP budget earlier this year as a challenge, these foods were a part of our regular weekly groceries, and I stayed within budget the entire time. The list of prohibited foods makes absolutely no sense if the intent is for families to prepare healthy, varied, satisfying meals. Absolutely. No. Sense.

Old 05-17-2015, 08:33 PM

126 posts, read 183,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
ENOUGH about the lobster! Somebody please explain to me why it makes sense for SNAP recipients to be prohibited from buying bulk foods, which are almost always the best value at my local market. Why is jarred pasta sauce disallowed? It is not more cost-effective to make pasta sauce from scratch using an onion, garlic, and tomatoes. Why are nuts prohibited? Why no shrimp? Why no sharp cheddar? When I fed my family of five for 2+ months on a SNAP budget earlier this year as a challenge, these foods were a part of our regular weekly groceries, and I stayed within budget the entire time. The list of prohibited foods makes absolutely no sense if the intent is for families to prepare healthy, varied, satisfying meals. Absolutely. No. Sense.

Wisconsin is not trying to prohibit residents from buying bulk foods, jarred pasta sauce, nuts, or sharp cheddar. The only foods Wisconsin is trying to keep people receiving assistance from buying are crab, lobster, shrimp and any other shellfish.

Wisconsin is hoping recipients spend 67% of their benefits on healthy items and the other 33% on whatever else they would like from the SNAP list of approved items (including bulk items, jarred pasta sauce, sharp cheddar cheese or nuts). The WIC list is a list of nutritional items meant for pregnant women, infants and small children. Small children and infants don't need to eat white potatoes, sharp cheddar cheese and nuts.

OP- you linked a great article, one I had seen before, showing how similar our spending is no matter our differing income levels. It's unfortunate we got sidetracked onto supposed banned food lists.

Old 05-17-2015, 08:34 PM

1,699 posts, read 816,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Walker and the other bastards in Wisconsin have a passed bill banning "luxury" items (Like ketchup, and canned pork & beans) from SNAP.

Addicting Info – Wisconsin GOP Passes Bill Banning Poor People From Buying Shellfish, Potatoes And Ketchup

The list of “disallowed” foods, which you can view here, also includes the following:

Cranberry sauce and pie filling. (Poor people can forget about making dessert for Thanksgiving dinner.)
Creamed vegetables
Baked beans
Pickles
Pork and beans
Frozen veggies that come in packages featuring pasta, nuts, rice, cheese, or meats
French fries and hash browns
Sharp cheddar cheese, Swiss, and fresh mozzarella, shredded and sliced cheeses (except American cheese of course), cheese food, spreads, and products. Even Kosher cheese is banned unless you apply to get a specific check for it which basically could identify who the poor Jewish people are.
Canned peas and green beans
Albacore tuna, red salmon, and fish fillets
Bagels, pita bread, English muffins
White rice and wild rice
Taco shells
Almond, rice, goat, and soy milk.
Brown eggs and any eggs produced by cage-free or free range chickens, which basically helps corporate chicken farms
Several kinds of infant food
Anything in bulk
Anything organic or natural
red and yellow potatoes

Basically, Wisconsin Republicans are making it more difficult for poor people to buy food, let alone enjoy the food they eat.
You didn't verify the claims in the article. It's wrong. The foods on your list are disallowed on the WIC program, not SNAP. Links to State Agency WIC Approved Food Lists | Food and Nutrition Service

Old 05-17-2015, 08:38 PM

23,861 posts, read 11,851,588 times
Quote:

Thanks for the chuckles!
The difference is it's family money. Wrap your narrow mind around that concept. Thus it's mine and no one else's.

Old 05-17-2015, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Nah. If you really had money you would live in a place with others of the same income. People with money don't shop where poor people shop.

Gave yourself away, there, guy.
Dude, 2 places to shop for food where I live in Northern Montana; IGA or Super WalMart. I live in a small town because that's where my job is. BNSF has a major train yard and engine repair facility. Farming and ranching are the other main industries there. So how did I give myself away? Please explain that, I really want to know.

Old 05-17-2015, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillinout123 View Post
Ok you just lost any thoughts of respecting your opinion!!! My trust fund???? So really your not even self supporting and watching how others pay??? Yeah right what you working the local soup kitchen?? LOL your a total creep!!! Get a bicycle and stop living off Mommy & Daddy you loser!!!
Haha. Yep, I got the silver spoon. But guess what, slick. I had bought my house and land and paid off the bank note before my inheritance. So I bought a plane and fly myself wherever I want to go. I accrue tax credits to minimize the vacuum that is the fed trying to steal my money and give it to leeches. Bicycle? Pphhhttt. I prefer driving my F350 diesel where I want to go. Or my Land Rover LR4. I live around people who are worth millions in assets. As for anyone respecting my opinion, bah, I have never given a rats ass what people think about me. They matter very little to me in how I conduct my life.

Ciao, baby.

Old 05-17-2015, 08:59 PM

8,506 posts, read 4,391,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
And where does the government get its money, oh from those who have it.................like me.
If you don't like how the government is allocating the tax funds, stop giving them your money.

Old 05-17-2015, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
What plane?

Geez...do you conservatives ever stop with this nonsense?
Google my handle. But I don't own that type anymore. I have upgraded to a PA31T.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or