U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2015, 09:11 PM

8,399 posts, read 5,303,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
It's a real shame that any program that is perceived to benefit poor Americans receives so much irrational scrutiny.

The food stamp program is 74billion of a 3.9trillion federal budget or less than 2% of the federal budget. One would think it was nearly half the federal budget for the attention it receives.

The fact of the matter is the food stamp program is one of the most effiecient and effective programs.

Yeah making sure fellow Americans don't starve by spending less than 2% of the federal to accomplish that goal is a great use of government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2015, 11:40 PM

935 posts, read 488,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
Not all are doing as you sarcastically claim but if you've ever paid attention while standing in line at the store you would be amazed at what you may see.
I got better things to do than peek at someone elses groceries. I really dont care

Old 05-18-2015, 11:34 AM

15,407 posts, read 7,871,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
I've seen both. I've seen people on SNAP buying food like hot dogs, bread etc. However I've seen those buying junk food, steak etc. I've also noticed a difference in the people, like a couple with say1-2 kids buying sensibly. The single mom with several young kids is usually buying junk or expensive items. She's probably the welfare leech whereas the couple either works or fell on hard times. It also varies in area because where I lived we had lots of moochers but here those receiving help tend to be disabled or recently lost a job.
LOL!!

Maybe the single mom has more mouths to feed and so loads up on cheap junk to keep the kid's from being hungry.

But it is interesting that you are such an expert on SNAP purchases by family types.

What about the elderly and disabled? What do they buy? You do realize a large amount of SNAP users are eldery, disabled and even military families right?

It is really odd how so many people are extremely focused on other people's groceries.

I have been assumed to be using an EBT when I bought groceries before. I don't receive foodstamps but many assume when I, a black lady goes to a store with my kids and tag a long kids (I have 2 but I "recruit" other kids to hang out with us and play with my kids so I take those kids with me too), many clerks have pushed the "EBT" button only to be told I don't have an EBT. So I'm sure people like you will see me with my salmon and Sausalito Pepperidge Farm cookies and Hebrew Nation beef hot dogs and potato buns for said hotdogs that cost $4 a pack and think - "look at that single mom welfare moocher." LOL

How many guys actually go grocery shopping with their family? My husband doesn't. And when he goes, I don't go with him.

Old 05-18-2015, 11:46 AM

2,014 posts, read 1,253,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
If you don't like how the government is allocating the tax funds, stop giving them your money.
Love to but I prefer not to go to prison for tax evasion.

I must say you've managed to exceed the normal level of the nonsensical so often found on these threads.

Old 05-18-2015, 11:56 AM

30,998 posts, read 13,564,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Walker and the other bastards in Wisconsin have a passed bill banning "luxury" items (Like ketchup, and canned pork & beans) from SNAP.

Addicting Info – Wisconsin GOP Passes Bill Banning Poor People From Buying Shellfish, Potatoes And Ketchup

The list of “disallowed” foods, which you can view here, also includes the following:

Cranberry sauce and pie filling. (Poor people can forget about making dessert for Thanksgiving dinner.)
Creamed vegetables
Baked beans
Pickles
Pork and beans
Frozen veggies that come in packages featuring pasta, nuts, rice, cheese, or meats
French fries and hash browns
Sharp cheddar cheese, Swiss, and fresh mozzarella, shredded and sliced cheeses (except American cheese of course), cheese food, spreads, and products. Even Kosher cheese is banned unless you apply to get a specific check for it which basically could identify who the poor Jewish people are.
Canned peas and green beans
Albacore tuna, red salmon, and fish fillets
Bagels, pita bread, English muffins
White rice and wild rice
Taco shells
Almond, rice, goat, and soy milk.
Brown eggs and any eggs produced by cage-free or free range chickens, which basically helps corporate chicken farms
Several kinds of infant food
Anything in bulk
Anything organic or natural
red and yellow potatoes

Basically, Wisconsin Republicans are making it more difficult for poor people to buy food, let alone enjoy the food they eat.
The bill requires that SNAP recipients spend 67% of their SNAP allotment on foods on the WIC food list. I think it's BS, and what they are really doing is trying to make the public think that SNAP recipients are lazy scoundrels who lay around and eat Lay's Potato Chips all day. It's all part of the plan to do away with entitlement programs; make the working class hate the poor then when you take their benefits away the politicians who did it will be hailed as heroes

Last edited by 2sleepy; 05-18-2015 at 12:05 PM..

Old 05-18-2015, 11:56 AM

2,085 posts, read 1,369,860 times
What a misleading headline "Addicting Info Wisconsin GOP Passes Bill Banning Poor People From Buying Shellfish, Potatoes And Ketchup"

They didn't pass a bill saying poor people can't buy those items, they simply can't buy it with their supplemental food benefits. These programs are meant to help you buy groceries, not buy ALL of your groceries. If you want to eat something that's not covered, use your own money.

Some of the stuff didn't make much sense (like cheddar cheese), but several things on the list are full of empty carbohydrates or saturated with sugar. We should be helping people buy staples like meats, fruits and vegetables. If you want to buy pie filling, shellfish or french fries, you can use your own money for that.

Old 05-18-2015, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
You didn't verify the claims in the article. It's wrong. The foods on your list are disallowed on the WIC program, not SNAP. Links to State Agency WIC Approved Food Lists | Food and Nutrition Service
I thought the same thing until I read the bill, what they are doing is requiring SNAP recipients to spend 67% of their SNAP benefit on foods on the WIC list.

Old 05-18-2015, 12:10 PM

8,749 posts, read 4,435,415 times
Default another unconstitutional law, we ignore ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer0101 View Post
Love to but I prefer not to go to prison for tax evasion.

I must say you've managed to exceed the normal level of the nonsensical so often found on these threads.
Let me add to it then:

The sacred rights of mankind are not to be rummaged for, among old parchments, or musty records. They are written, as with a sun beam in the whole volume of human nature, by the hand of divinity itself; and can never be erased or obscured by mortal power. -Alexander Hamilton, 1775.

IRS, Friend or Foe: Are Income Taxes Constitutional?

Old 05-18-2015, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
BTW I have been poor where I had to watch my money and budget wisely. I wasn't receiving welfare but with my small amount of money I could only buy essentials. I would see people on welfare buying soda cookies etc that I couldn't afford. Why could they buy things I couldn't with money I paid? I don't smoke but I couldn't afford cigarettes yet they could. Yet some are making excuses for the moochers who do this. The truly needy aren't buying ho hos or soda or lobsters
How do you know how people pay for their food? I have never noticed if a person is using a debit card or an EBT card, what do you do stand over their shoulder and check?

Old 05-18-2015, 12:22 PM

50,513 posts, read 26,677,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
LOL!!

Maybe the single mom has more mouths to feed and so loads up on cheap junk to keep the kid's from being hungry.

But it is interesting that you are such an expert on SNAP purchases by family types.

What about the elderly and disabled? What do they buy? You do realize a large amount of SNAP users are eldery, disabled and even military families right?

It is really odd how so many people are extremely focused on other people's groceries.

I have been assumed to be using an EBT when I bought groceries before. I don't receive foodstamps but many assume when I, a black lady goes to a store with my kids and tag a long kids (I have 2 but I "recruit" other kids to hang out with us and play with my kids so I take those kids with me too), many clerks have pushed the "EBT" button only to be told I don't have an EBT. So I'm sure people like you will see me with my salmon and Sausalito Pepperidge Farm cookies and Hebrew Nation beef hot dogs and potato buns for said hotdogs that cost $4 a pack and think - "look at that single mom welfare moocher." LOL

How many guys actually go grocery shopping with their family? My husband doesn't. And when he goes, I don't go with him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
How do you know how people pay for their food? I have never noticed if a person is using a debit card or an EBT card, what do you do stand over their shoulder and check?
I've got the same questions. I probably grocery shop once a month. I've done so all of my life.

I can only remember once actually noticing someone getting groceries using WIC, and that's because she pulled out these big ass coupons and was seemingly confused about how to use them and i was behind her. She was very apologetic and i had to assure her that i had plenty of patience (i was lying...i was quite exasperated as is custom for me in a grocery store trying to get the hell out, but i was raised to be a gentleman).

Other than that, i just can't remember EVER knowing how someone paid for their groceries.

Still, if you qualify for SNAP, then i'm done with it. How you use it is your business. I can't spend my whole life being perpetually p*ssed off about everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or