U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2015, 01:50 PM

22,558 posts, read 11,620,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Could that be because they are living with you and don't have to provide all of their own meals? Maybe 'the kid' should report his change in living conditions to SNAP so that they can adjust his benefits.
Why should he do that? Would not benefit him.

Actually, it is his fiancée who gets the benefits. They may never get married. It would be stupid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2015, 01:55 PM

31,133 posts, read 13,643,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Why should he do that? Would not benefit him.

Actually, it is his fiancée who gets the benefits. They may never get married. It would be stupid.
I'm just sayin...he's probably breaking the law and getting too many benefits by not reporting that he is no longer paying rent, adjustments are made to SNAP benefits for rent, so it might not be quite the good deal you think hit is if he was complying with the law

Old 05-18-2015, 01:58 PM

Quote:
I'm just sayin...he's probably breaking the law and getting too many benefits by not reporting that he is no longer paying rent, adjustments are made to SNAP benefits for rent, so it might not be quite the good deal you think hit is if he was complying with the law
His fiancée was not paying rent when she first applied. She was living with her mother. Now she lives with me. No change in her rental payment.

Rib eye or Porterhouse, trying to decide what to eat tonight. Probably just choice grade.

Old 05-18-2015, 01:59 PM

31,133 posts, read 13,643,867 times
Quote:
His fiancée was not paying rent when she first applied. She was living with her mother. Now she lives with me. No change in her rental payment.
I thought you said your son gets SNAP, maybe I read that wrong

Old 05-18-2015, 02:04 PM

5,881 posts, read 2,387,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Walker and the other bastards in Wisconsin have a passed bill banning "luxury" items (Like ketchup, and canned pork & beans) from SNAP.

Addicting Info – Wisconsin GOP Passes Bill Banning Poor People From Buying Shellfish, Potatoes And Ketchup

The list of “disallowed” foods, which you can view here, also includes the following:

Cranberry sauce and pie filling. (Poor people can forget about making dessert for Thanksgiving dinner.)
Creamed vegetables
Baked beans
Pickles
Pork and beans
Frozen veggies that come in packages featuring pasta, nuts, rice, cheese, or meats
French fries and hash browns
Sharp cheddar cheese, Swiss, and fresh mozzarella, shredded and sliced cheeses (except American cheese of course), cheese food, spreads, and products. Even Kosher cheese is banned unless you apply to get a specific check for it which basically could identify who the poor Jewish people are.
Canned peas and green beans
Albacore tuna, red salmon, and fish fillets
Bagels, pita bread, English muffins
White rice and wild rice
Taco shells
Almond, rice, goat, and soy milk.
Brown eggs and any eggs produced by cage-free or free range chickens, which basically helps corporate chicken farms
Several kinds of infant food
Anything in bulk
Anything organic or natural
red and yellow potatoes

Basically, Wisconsin Republicans are making it more difficult for poor people to buy food, let alone enjoy the food they eat.
WOW with all capitals!! I cannot believe this list when I read it

I guess those regulators never had to buy things on a small budget before??? Gees Louizzz.. Conservatives say..keep Govn't out of our lives..give you an allowance then say you can only use it for X Y and Z...SMH

Old 05-18-2015, 02:06 PM

Quote:
I thought you said your son gets SNAP, maybe I read that wrong
His fiancée gets SNAP. I don't see them marrying anytime soon.

Now, when he earns enough to make the EITC more than the SNAP benefits he may be wise to claim them and I will have to cut down on the seafood and steaks.

All I can say is the three SNAP beneficiaries in my household eat pretty darn well. The youngest gets free mother's milk.

Old 05-18-2015, 02:13 PM

935 posts, read 489,896 times
Quote:

Rib eye or Porterhouse, trying to decide what to eat tonight. Probably just choice grade.
Stupid to buy steaks since you get a limited amount per month. Will run out by mid month

Old 05-18-2015, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blind melon View Post
Stupid to buy steaks since you get a limited amount per month. Will run out by mid month

My kid and grandkid ain't gonna run out of food. Would yours?

Old 05-18-2015, 02:43 PM

7,510 posts, read 3,535,662 times
I don't care about luxury items nearly as much as i care about destructive, damaging items. I think that instead of all food stuffs being labeled "grocery" we should have a separate category of "snacks". So, beef, chicken, pork, fish, even seafood are all good with EBT. So to, breads, vegetables, fruits, juice, milk, etc. What I think is unnecessary is hot Takis, Doritos, Hawaiian punch, Mountain Dew, Oreos, Snickers & Pizza Rolls. I favor limiting or eliminating "snacks". I also think non grocery items should be included. There's a reason laundry detergent is the #1 most shoplifted item in the country. It's expensive and it's not covered on EBT (that's two reasons isn't it, lol). Feminine products, toilet paper, diapers, formula, toothpaste syould be added to the list of acceptable products under EBT. My .02

Old 05-18-2015, 02:55 PM

29,539 posts, read 15,487,988 times
SNAP isn't being used for lobster and high end steak, but it's being used for a lot of junk food.

We should be doing actual "food stamps" that allows you to trade a stamp for a loaf of bread, a stamp for a vegetable, a stamp for milk, etc.

You should only receive certain foods; it shouldn't be essentially a free-for-all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or