U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 11:26 AM

12,764 posts, read 7,839,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
When you are standing next to someone are you devoid of any observation of your close proximity surroundings?

I guess some are.
Why would you be standing next to someone at a grocery store when they are paying for their food? Are you one of those annoying people who crowds the card-reader? I've had to ask some people like that to please get out of my business and give me space to use my card. What's up with that? Are they like you, just snooping?

I've never seen a SNAP card. What do they look like? Do they have large red letters S N A P on the face of them? If not, how do you know what people are paying with?

Maybe it's a New Jersey thing, but I don't like people invading my space. You must do that all the time in order to observe whether someone is paying with a Visa, Master Card, or Snap card.

"observation, indeed!"

MYOB!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2015, 11:28 AM

86,093 posts, read 72,598,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Why would you be standing next to someone at a grocery store when they are paying for their food? Are you one of those annoying people who crowds the card-reader? I've had to ask some people like that to please get out of my business and give me space to use my card. What's up with that? Are they like you, just snooping?

I've never seen a SNAP card. What do they look like? Do they have large red letters S N A P on the face of them? If not, how do you know what people are paying with?

Maybe it's a New Jersey thing, but I don't like people invading my space. You must do that all the time in order to observe whether someone is paying with a Visa, Master Card, or Snap card.

"observation, indeed!"

MYOB!
Each state has their own type of card.

I can recognize the Texas Lone Star card.

Here's NJ's card:

Department of Human Services | Families First Card Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT)

Old 05-17-2015, 11:30 AM

15,837 posts, read 10,057,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post

"observation, indeed!"

MYOB!
A SNAP card looks like a bank debit card... so you have to be looking really close and squinting while they swipe.

Old 05-17-2015, 11:31 AM

3,269 posts, read 3,011,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Walker and the other bastards in Wisconsin have a passed bill banning "luxury" items (Like ketchup, and canned pork & beans) from SNAP.

Addicting Info – Wisconsin GOP Passes Bill Banning Poor People From Buying Shellfish, Potatoes And Ketchup

The list of “disallowed” foods, which you can view here, also includes the following:

Cranberry sauce and pie filling. (Poor people can forget about making dessert for Thanksgiving dinner.)
Creamed vegetables
Baked beans
Pickles
Pork and beans
Frozen veggies that come in packages featuring pasta, nuts, rice, cheese, or meats
French fries and hash browns
Sharp cheddar cheese, Swiss, and fresh mozzarella, shredded and sliced cheeses (except American cheese of course), cheese food, spreads, and products. Even Kosher cheese is banned unless you apply to get a specific check for it which basically could identify who the poor Jewish people are.
Canned peas and green beans
Albacore tuna, red salmon, and fish fillets
Bagels, pita bread, English muffins
White rice and wild rice
Taco shells
Almond, rice, goat, and soy milk.
Brown eggs and any eggs produced by cage-free or free range chickens, which basically helps corporate chicken farms
Several kinds of infant food
Anything in bulk
Anything organic or natural
red and yellow potatoes

Basically, Wisconsin Republicans are making it more difficult for poor people to buy food, let alone enjoy the food they eat.
As someone who support limiting SNAP to exclude junk food, this is overkill to the point of being worse than not imposing limits at all. No peas? No white rice? No bulk? No organics? Limited potato varieties? No baked beans? No alternative milks? No canned beans?

This is senseless.

Old 05-17-2015, 11:32 AM

86,093 posts, read 72,598,790 times
Quote:
A SNAP card looks like a bank debit card... so you have to be looking really close and squinting while they swipe.
You're like 2 feet away and each state has a distinctive looking EBT card.
Not hard to recognize at all.

Old 05-17-2015, 11:34 AM

17,086 posts, read 9,894,083 times
Quote:
Walker and the other bastards in Wisconsin have a passed bill banning "luxury" items (Like ketchup, and canned pork & beans) from SNAP.

Addicting Info – Wisconsin GOP Passes Bill Banning Poor People From Buying Shellfish, Potatoes And Ketchup

The list of “disallowed” foods, which you can view here, also includes the following:

Cranberry sauce and pie filling. (Poor people can forget about making dessert for Thanksgiving dinner.)
Creamed vegetables
Baked beans
Pickles
Pork and beans
Frozen veggies that come in packages featuring pasta, nuts, rice, cheese, or meats
French fries and hash browns
Sharp cheddar cheese, Swiss, and fresh mozzarella, shredded and sliced cheeses (except American cheese of course), cheese food, spreads, and products. Even Kosher cheese is banned unless you apply to get a specific check for it which basically could identify who the poor Jewish people are.
Canned peas and green beans
Albacore tuna, red salmon, and fish fillets
Bagels, pita bread, English muffins
White rice and wild rice
Taco shells
Almond, rice, goat, and soy milk.
Brown eggs and any eggs produced by cage-free or free range chickens, which basically helps corporate chicken farms
Several kinds of infant food
Anything in bulk
Anything organic or natural
red and yellow potatoes

Basically, Wisconsin Republicans are making it more difficult for poor people to buy food, let alone enjoy the food they eat.
There are some very strange prohibitions on that list.

Old 05-17-2015, 11:35 AM

50,774 posts, read 26,797,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Using my money to pay for stuff I will snoop away.
Because you're too nosy. Get a life.

Must be a female. Men don't behave like that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
When you are standing next to someone are you devoid of any observation of your close proximity surroundings?

I guess some are.
No. I mind my own business. I don't watch how other people purchase their groceries. I don't wanna know. And I'm certainly not snooping around their carts taking inventory of their groceries.

Americans are too effin nosy for their own good.

Are you reading the numbers on their debit cards too?

Old 05-17-2015, 11:36 AM

3,269 posts, read 3,011,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
There are some very strange prohibitions on that list.
They literally ban peanuts.

Peanuts.

Who the heck in their right mind decided, you know what food is unhealthy and/or a luxury? Peanuts!

Old 05-17-2015, 11:39 AM

10,026 posts, read 9,252,760 times
Yeah that list is weird. I support limiting snack foods, lobster etc but not things like veggies and fruits, bread, milk etc.

BTW I've known people on food stamps (we have the Link Card here) and most were too lazy to work. These were those who did buy whatever they wanted. I got a few kicked off welfare because they were scamming the system.

Old 05-17-2015, 11:43 AM

17,086 posts, read 9,894,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
They literally ban peanuts.

Peanuts.

Who the heck in their right mind decided, you know what food is unhealthy and/or a luxury? Peanuts!
Exactly. I've made my own peanut butter from roasted nuts. It's easy and economical, particularly if you buy the nuts from a bulk container. Oops! Can't buy bulk foods.

What was Wisconsin thinking? That list is completely nonsensical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or