U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2015, 07:27 PM

30,893 posts, read 13,456,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
The link states family members. She is not a family member. How could my son be breaking the law? He is not even getting SNAP.
Reading comprehension is not your strong suit.
Do you have memory problems? Because this is one of your earlier posts:

Quote:
His fiancée gets SNAP. I don't see them marrying anytime soon.

Now, when he earns enough to make the EITC more than the SNAP benefits he may be wise to claim them and I will have to cut down on the seafood and steaks.

All I can say is the three SNAP beneficiaries in my household eat pretty darn well. The youngest gets free mother's milk.
Memory issues, or is this whole thing a spoof as many of us suspect?

Last edited by 2sleepy; 05-20-2015 at 07:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 07:42 PM

14,269 posts, read 15,862,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
Not all are doing as you sarcastically claim but if you've ever paid attention while standing in line at the store you would be amazed at what you may see.
So you check out what other people buy when they go to the store? I hope if I ever need Prep H or suppositories, you're not in back of me.

Seriously, if someone gets $100 a month for food, isn't it still $100 if he/she spends $100 on prime rib or $100 on rice? I mean, it's not as if the person who spends $100 one day on gourmet food can ask for more money, right?

Excuse me, but I don't know very much about Welfare. I only know people judge others way too harshly, although in some cases it might be justified.

In FL I had neighbors who got food & utility assistance. The adults smoked and drank beer and their recycling bins were overflowing with soda cans. (heck, at least they recycled!) However, even though I often felt resentment, there were 11 people in a singlewide mobile home. So they weren't exactly living high on the hog, or however the expression goes.

Last edited by justNancy; 05-20-2015 at 07:52 PM..

Old 05-20-2015, 07:43 PM

22,399 posts, read 11,536,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Do you have memory problems? Because this is one of your earlier posts:

Memory issues, or is this whole thing a spoof as many of us suspect?
Reading comprehension is definitely a problem for you.

Yes, I stated that when my son earns enough for EITC to be more lucrative than SNAP he may have to consider making her a family member. Gee, this ain't that complicated.

Old 05-20-2015, 09:08 PM

935 posts, read 487,845 times
Quote:
Reading comprehension is definitely a problem for you.

Yes, I stated that when my son earns enough for EITC to be more lucrative than SNAP he may have to consider making her a family member. Gee, this ain't that complicated.
You must so be proud.

Old 05-20-2015, 09:13 PM

14,269 posts, read 15,862,700 times
Quote:
Don't make excuses for the poster, he has bragged repeatedly about eating lobster and steak courtesy of his son and his son's baby mama's food stamps. If that is what is happening, his son and his son's girlfriend are breaking the law, if you share meals with members of your household you need to report the income of other members of the household. Rental clauses, senior citizen status, none of that makes them exempt from the law- and he's the one making these claims, not me
I'm not sure if that poster is being honest or fabricating a story to prove his point, but you are correct. There's no arguing with facts.

What is a Household?

[FONT="Arial Black"]"Everyone who lives together and purchases and prepares meals together is grouped together as one household."[/FONT]

[URL="http://www.fns.usda.gov/snap/eligibility"]SOURCE[/URL]

Being related by blood or marriage has nothing to do with the description of a household per the US Government's section on SNAP eligibility. Senior status does matter, however.

[FONT="Arial Black"]"If a person is 60 years of age or older and he or she is unable to purchase and prepare meals separately because of a permanent disability, the person and the person's spouse may be a separate household if the others they live with do not have very much income. (More than 165 percent of the poverty level.)"[/FONT]

Old 05-20-2015, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I'm not sure if that poster is being honest or fabricating a story to prove his point, but you are correct. There's no arguing with facts.

What is a Household?

Everyone who lives together and purchases and prepares meals together is grouped together as one household.

SOURCE

Being related by blood or marriage has absolutely nothing to do with the description of a household.
thanks, that's what I have been trying to say.

Old 05-20-2015, 09:14 PM

17,497 posts, read 10,625,653 times
Quote:
Don't make excuses for the poster, he has bragged repeatedly about eating lobster and steak courtesy of his son and his son's baby mama's food stamps. If that is what is happening, his son and his son's girlfriend are breaking the law, if you share meals with members of your household you need to report the income of other members of the household. Rental clauses, senior citizen status, none of that makes them exempt from the law- and he's the one making these claims, not me
All this does is prove some people are certainly abusing the system. So now the complaint would be, if we take away the food stamps the babies will suffer, so we just let the fiancee continue to break the rules or let the kids starve? See how the dad is really not responsible for his family in the end?

To me every man should be judged by how he treats, raises and takes care of the needs of his offspring.

Quote:
So you check out what other people buy when they go to the store? I hope if I ever need Prep H or suppositories, you're not in back of me.

Seriously, if someone gets $100 a month for food, isn't it still $100 if he/she spends $100 on prime rib or $100 on rice? I mean, it's not as if the person who spends $100 one day on gourmet food can ask for more money, right?

Excuse me, but I don't know very much about Welfare. I only know people judge others way too harshly, although in some cases it might be justified.

In FL I had neighbors who got food & utility assistance. The adults smoked and drank beer and their recycling bins were overflowing with soda cans. (heck, at least they recycled!) However, even though I often felt resentment, there were 11 people in a singlewide mobile home. So they weren't exactly living high on the hog, or however the expression goes.
Then we hear the complaint the food stamps provided don't go far enough.....see where your reasoning goes?

Old 05-20-2015, 09:17 PM

17,497 posts, read 10,625,653 times
Quote:

What is a Household?

Everyone who lives together and purchases and prepares meals together is grouped together as one household.

SOURCE

Being related by blood or marriage has absolutely nothing to do with the description of a household.
I wasn't disputing this, just how does one prove they don't eat with these members? Does every meal count, just 2 meals, 3 meals? If the person is buying steak and can't buy anymore when the food is gone, who cares who they feed?

Old 05-20-2015, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
I wasn't disputing this, just how does one prove they don't eat with these members? Does every meal count, just 2 meals, 3 meals? If the person is buying steak and can't buy anymore when the food is gone, who cares who they feed?
There is a requirement that you disclose your income to get SNAP benefits, whether you live alone or live with other people. If you share meals with other household members, then the income of every member of that household is relevant. Would it be ok with you if a young woman got SNAP benefits based on her income of zero if she was living with and sharing meals with her boyfriend who makes 100k a year?

Old 05-20-2015, 10:20 PM

1,862 posts, read 2,108,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
All I ever did was write that I live with my brother and he buys and prepares his own food. We both sign the letter and everything is good.

He gets his own food stamps.

However, I can't help it if I make enough dinner for him to have some. After all, he prepares enough of his food for me and my son.

Seriously, I have never heard of a household with food stamps NOT sharing what food is in the house. Unless one lives with a bunch of roommates, and food is clearly labeled as to what belongs to each person, most households are good with sharing ALL purchased food. SNAP is supposed to be a supplement; who can tell which foods were purchased with food stamps, and which with cash?

It's not like someone from the welfare departments comes to your house at dinner time to check.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or