U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 05:57 AM

22,412 posts, read 11,542,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
you mean your son's girlfriend? You could probably kick her down a six pack for the lobster you claim she buys you with her food stamps
I actually wanted the six-pack for myself. I charge a buck a month rent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2015, 05:59 AM

22,412 posts, read 11,542,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post

Not worth a reply. I'm not a SNAP beneficiary but I'm a woman, and the only man I ever waited for was a taxi driver.

Not all women are like you.

Old 05-24-2015, 08:00 AM

17,497 posts, read 10,630,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
It is too bad my renter can't buy beer with her SNAP benefits. Poor people need to drink too. It ain't easy being poor. They probably need to drink more than the rest of us.
If they go in a few times and buy things instead of giving exact food stamp amount to pay for it, they give an amount that will produce change back. Do this a few times in a few stores and she has cash to buy beer or whatever.......isn't it grand how people figure out the system.

Old 05-24-2015, 08:12 AM

30,908 posts, read 13,475,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
If they go in a few times and buy things instead of giving exact food stamp amount to pay for it, they give an amount that will produce change back. Do this a few times in a few stores and she has cash to buy beer or whatever.......isn't it grand how people figure out the system.
Wrong, you cannot under any circumstances get cash back with SNAP benefits. You might be thinking about the way food stamps worked 30 years ago, when they were distributed in packets of printed coupons. At that time you could get cash back up to 40 cents if I remember correctly, but that has not been possible for a very, very long time

Old 05-24-2015, 10:45 AM

1,754 posts, read 1,585,066 times
according to my mother who endured 3 years as a cashier at Squalmart:

Carts full of nothing but soda & candy

Cart full of cake decorating supplies (by a woman who bragged that she was taking her daughter to Paris for the third time)

Lots of bottled water

High end seafoods

Very little fruits, veg, whole grains.

Old 05-24-2015, 12:22 PM

299 posts, read 323,393 times
Quote:
And I've seen people in grocery stores who I know are not on food stamps because they either live near me or I know where they work and they are pushing carts around loaded with junk food. And I'm sure you have seen the same.

So, do we hold people on SNAP to a different standard than people who buy junk food with their own money even though their food choices are increasing their chances of getting a condition like diabetes which is costly to treat and drives up the healthcare for everyone?
Would you like your tax dollars to effectively subsidize a cause of that increased cost of healthcare for everyone? Didn't think so.

Old 05-24-2015, 12:30 PM

19,186 posts, read 14,970,102 times
Breaks my heart that SNAP recipients (spending OUR tax dollars) will have to eat like others who cannot afford the luxury of quick foods and/or unhealthy foods. I could see the reasoning behind the choices. Dry beans are cheaper and single ingredients to make something up are cheaper than getting your rice already combined, much cheaper. I see what they eat here when I make a mistake and shop on welfare weekend, the first weekend of the month. Many of us that live in low cost of living areas with higher illegal drug use and illegal immigration have been in the checkout line with them.

Old 05-24-2015, 12:30 PM

935 posts, read 487,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I actually wanted the six-pack for myself. I charge a buck a month rent.
Sounds like you are enabling people whi dont want to work. Yeah yeah blame.the system everyone is to blame except the layabouts and the people who enable them . But what do you care so as ling you get your beer and seafood from SNAP

Old 05-24-2015, 12:52 PM

4,541 posts, read 13,103,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Why do people care what people on food stamps eat anyways? You want people on food stamps to eat healthy? Ever go shopping and see how Expensive it is to eat veggies & fruits? How about Seafood? or Meat?

There seems to be a jealousy here where regular folk can't afford filet mingnon and settle for Sloppy Joes while people on food stamps can buy a filet mingnon!
Jealousy???.... maybe. There are a lot of regular people who are struggling to pay their bills and are forced to eat frugally and they see people on food stamps that are buying steak and lobster.

It really isn't fair and it's not what the program was created to do -- if you look at the history of the Food Stamps program.

I've worked as a cashier in a grocery store. When you're a cashier, it's impossible not to notice what people are spending their "benefits" for.

http://www.snaptohealth.org/snap/the-history-of-snap/

Last edited by World Citizen; 05-24-2015 at 01:05 PM..

Old 05-24-2015, 12:58 PM

4,541 posts, read 13,103,745 times
Quote:
Wrong, you cannot under any circumstances get cash back with SNAP benefits. You might be thinking about the way food stamps worked 30 years ago, when they were distributed in packets of printed coupons. At that time you could get cash back up to 40 cents if I remember correctly, but that has not been possible for a very, very long time
I worked as a cashier for almost 3 years in a grocery.

SNAP may not have the cash back option but there are many Food Stamp recipients that have a Cash Option - separate from their Food option - on their EBT cards. I'm sure that the money is given to them to pay for bills and other real necessities.

Many recipients withdraw that cash by making a small purchase and then use the cash to purchase cigarettes and beer.

Last edited by World Citizen; 05-24-2015 at 01:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or