Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 11:44 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You're like 2 feet away and each state has a distinctive looking EBT card.
Not hard to recognize at all.
I beg to differ.

It requires a high level of nosinesss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2015, 11:46 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
There are some very strange prohibitions on that list.
Yeah...why ban creamed vegetables or cranberry sauce?

Who had time to come up with **** like that?

Old 05-17-2015, 11:47 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
When you are standing next to someone are you devoid of any observation of your close proximity surroundings?

I guess some are.

I do not pay attention to anyone in the grocery except the person in front of me, then I am only looking for them to leave so my grocery items can be checked by the cashier.

Until that point I am either talking to my husband, putting my grocery items on the belt or both.
I could care what people eat or how they pay for it, none of my business.

Old 05-17-2015, 11:48 AM

15,154 posts, read 11,618,376 times
Quote:
Basically, Wisconsin Republicans are making it more difficult for poor people to buy food, let alone enjoy the food they eat.
Hmm..so what you are saying is that Dem ebil 'publicans are forcing freeloaders to finally get off the taxpayer funded gravy train. YOU are paying for thier food! Would you be as charitable if i bought a $20 Lobster and when time to pay, I simply tell the cashier that the jerk behind me is paying for it while pointing to you, and them simply walk off. That sound better?

Old 05-17-2015, 12:01 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Exactly. I've made my own peanut butter from roasted nuts. It's easy and economical, particularly if you buy the nuts from a bulk container. Oops! Can't buy bulk foods.

What was Wisconsin thinking? That list is completely nonsensical.
It's the Wisconsin Republican Party, led by presidential hopeful Scott Walker. He's deluded himself into believing a plurality of Republicans hate poor people as much as he does, and that an outright majority of general election voters also hate poor people. It's not designed or intended to actually save money or prevent abuse of the system. What other possible reason could there be for trying to ban cheap staple foods?

This thing is actually much worse, though. Not only is the banned foods list nonsensical, there are other requirements in the bill that turn it into even more of an expensive, big government, nightmarish boondoggle. It requires that 67% of benefits be used for specific things, and requires that retailers ensure this is the case. That means a massive government database of all the foods people are buying. It means swiping people's cards before allowing them to make a purchase. It puts a huge, expensive burden on retailers to implement some nightmarishly complex scheme to screw poor people. Supposedly the state will pay for retailers to do the initial implementation, so there goes more tax dollars out the window on a completely stupid project.

Wisconsin Legislature: AB177: Bill Text

Last edited by CaseyB; 05-17-2015 at 05:01 PM.. Reason: foul language

Old 05-17-2015, 12:02 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Hmm..so what you are saying is that Dem ebil 'publicans are forcing freeloaders to finally get off the taxpayer funded gravy train. YOU are paying for thier food! Would you be as charitable if i bought a $20 Lobster and when time to pay, I simply tell the cashier that the jerk behind me is paying for it while pointing to you, and them simply walk off. That sound better?
One may take you more seriously if you actually used proper words spelled correctly to make your point instead of 2 year old gibberish.

Some of those "freeloaders" have no choice at the moment because of job loss, disability, caring for a family member at the time and any other number of reasons.

Be sure not to forget this attitude when you find yourself needing a bit of extra help for a while.

Also, how can the guy behind you be a jerk when he is paying for your groceries?
Pretty ungrateful I would say.

Old 05-17-2015, 12:04 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
I find the ban on sharp cheddar cheese strange, too. It's extremely flavorful, which means a little goes a long way to enhance home-made dishes. I keep some in my fridge all the time. In fact, when our family did our Lenten Good & Cheap cookbook challenge this year, using a SNAP budget, that and a little Parmesan were our cheeses of choice.

Old 05-17-2015, 12:05 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,929,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Walker and the other bastards in Wisconsin have a passed bill banning "luxury" items (Like ketchup, and canned pork & beans) from SNAP.

Addicting Info – Wisconsin GOP Passes Bill Banning Poor People From Buying Shellfish, Potatoes And Ketchup

The list of “disallowed” foods, which you can view here, also includes the following:

Cranberry sauce and pie filling. (Poor people can forget about making dessert for Thanksgiving dinner.)
Creamed vegetables
Baked beans
Pickles
Pork and beans
Frozen veggies that come in packages featuring pasta, nuts, rice, cheese, or meats
French fries and hash browns
Sharp cheddar cheese, Swiss, and fresh mozzarella, shredded and sliced cheeses (except American cheese of course), cheese food, spreads, and products. Even Kosher cheese is banned unless you apply to get a specific check for it which basically could identify who the poor Jewish people are.
Canned peas and green beans
Albacore tuna, red salmon, and fish fillets
Bagels, pita bread, English muffins
White rice and wild rice
Taco shells
Almond, rice, goat, and soy milk.
Brown eggs and any eggs produced by cage-free or free range chickens, which basically helps corporate chicken farms
Several kinds of infant food
Anything in bulk
Anything organic or natural
red and yellow potatoes

Basically, Wisconsin Republicans are making it more difficult for poor people to buy food, let alone enjoy the food they eat.
And that Idiot wants to be President, good grief

Old 05-17-2015, 12:09 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,157,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Using my money to pay for stuff I will snoop away.
Next time you are driving down my highway, I demand you open your trunk so I can see what you have inside. And who is that person you are driving with? Is she related to you?

Next time you go to my state or federal park, empty out your backpack so I can be sure you aren't using mouthwash (after all - alcohol you know).

Getting on the bus or subway? Empty your pockets. What is that there? Why are you carrying it? It not the symbol of the "approved" religion!

You going to the local stadium. Wouldn't you rather go see a beheading?

You sound like the Taliban to me.

Old 05-17-2015, 12:09 PM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Why would you do that?

Lol...another Gladys Kravitz. Not surprised.

Folks really need to mind their own business instead of snooping around other people's grocery karts.
You don't have to "watch", some of them ask, loudly, if they can buy things like Slushees on their EBT cards. Lord knows, Slushees are a NECESSITY. /sarcasm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies