Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2015, 03:04 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times

Advertisements

Like WWII ration books?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2015, 03:13 PM

511 posts, read 508,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFly2 View Post
If I had trouble affording food, I would be thankful for any free food I received. So what if you can't buy certain items? There are still many things people on SNAP can buy. People in this country need to stop complaining so much and learn to say "thank you".
Because people are starving and there isn't enough food, so they should just suck it up?

No. They should be allowed to buy in bulk so they save money, afford to have food everyday. Just like you and I

To say otherwise... is just inhumane

Old 05-18-2015, 03:29 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,294,075 times
It has to be pointed out again the SNAP budget is 74billion out of a 3.9trillion federal budget.

This is 1.89% of the federal budget. If government spending really were the issue then, SNAP would receive very little attention because SNAP is a small amount of spending relative to the federal budget.

So anger at SNAP is really about anger at the Americans who participate in SNAP.

And these Americans are lied about, mocked, insulted, looked down upon and demeaned.

This is classic dehumanization of other people.

That's why SNAP gets so much attention. It's not the money. Or government waste, nah it's about hatred and demeaning other human beings that's at the root of this focus on SNAP.

Old 05-18-2015, 04:17 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
SNAP isn't being used for lobster and high end steak, but it's being used for a lot of junk food.

We should be doing actual "food stamps" that allows you to trade a stamp for a loaf of bread, a stamp for a vegetable, a stamp for milk, etc.

You should only receive certain foods; it shouldn't be essentially a free-for-all.
If they qualify, why is it so important to you what they eat?

You're a nutritionist now?

Old 05-18-2015, 05:03 PM

511 posts, read 508,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
The easiest way to tell is when a person has two transactions at the store, one for snap and another for non approved snap items.
Ok thanks. I don't stare intently at other people who are checking out to see the nitty gritty details of their transaction.
I can have two transactions going myself thru using coupons

Old 05-18-2015, 05:08 PM

934 posts, read 595,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
My kid and grandkid ain't gonna run out of food. Would yours?
My kid doesnt use SNAP benefits, if.they did I wouldnt be spending all the.benefits in the first two weeks

Old 05-18-2015, 05:10 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
I think the last time I actually saw someone using food stamps was when I briefly worked as a supermarket cashier in college. I'm pretty focused on ensuring I've gotten everything I need when I get in line to check out. I don't think I'd notice a grizzly bear standing in front of me much less what he's unloading from his basket.

Old 05-18-2015, 05:14 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,111,606 times
It's comical how we try to save the poor from the horrible crap diet that the rest of us Americans willingly eat. It's like Kim Kardashian trying to lecture Paris Hilton to be a better role model for the girls.

Mick

Old 05-18-2015, 05:14 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times
It always fascinates me that around the holiday season when the local TV stations will invariably run the typical "charity gives free food to poor" story that all of the hungry in the lines are morbidly obese.

Old 05-18-2015, 05:32 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,157,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
The easiest way to tell is when a person has two transactions at the store, one for snap and another for non approved snap items.
You really CANNOT tell by the number of transactions. I use three different debit cards for easier accounting. If I go to Wal-Mart, I buy pharmaceuticals with one, food with another, and my third transaction card is for merchandise such as DVDs, shirts, socks, or Hot Wheels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies