Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2015, 09:50 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,776,777 times

Advertisements

War On Christmas: Starbucks Red Cups Are Emblematic Of The Christian Culture Cleansing Of The West

This is mindnumbing and proves how deep the persecution complex among many conservative Christians goes. For them to latch onto something this trivial, it also shows how much they enjoy being outraged. Despite what is being spread around on social media, Starbucks still allows their employees to say Merry Christmas, they still sell Advent calendars, Christmas blend coffee, and Christmas greeting cards. The only thing they did is remove the Santas and the reindeer from the cups and have went with a sleek red design. Starbucks cups have never said "Merry Christmas."

How is that persecution? How is that a war on Christmas?

Plus, Starbucks is a secular, private company. Why should they have to bow to the Christian Right?

Last edited by bawac34618; 11-07-2015 at 10:16 AM..

Old 11-07-2015, 09:54 AM

46,889 posts, read 25,860,181 times
Headline could have been truncated to the first 2 words.

No wonder Breitbart died early - that much anger can't be good for the ticker.

Old 11-07-2015, 09:59 AM

34,274 posts, read 19,309,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Headline could have been truncated to the first 2 words.

No wonder Breitbart died early - that much anger can't be good for the ticker.
I love this from the last paragraph.

Quote:
And no, I’m not “reading too much into it”. This is happening.
Wow.

Old 11-07-2015, 10:06 AM

6,542 posts, read 4,082,523 times
First of all, the red cups just look better now. They're far more aesthetically pleasing than the super kitsch over the top Christmas cups of the past. But I'm a minimalist. But seriously, look at that one with the 'hope' bell on it. It's disgusting. The one with the red snowflakes is alright, but that Santa one makes me want to cry.

Regardless, what aspect of Christianity was on those cups at all? Santa and holiday spirit have nothing to do with Christianity. The modern Santa Clause came about in I think the 1950s from a Coca-Cola ad. Literally, everything that's been on those cups is connect exclusively to American consumerism (like most of Christmas) and not Christianity. They weren't printing those special cups for Jesus, they did it for marketing, as in making money, as in something Jesus wasn't about in the first place.

Let's be honest, the switch to the red cup was either a design choice (it's a more mature design) or because it's cheaper to have a plain red cup than to print holiday marketing all over it.

Old 11-07-2015, 10:10 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,432,441 times
MP Slams Starbucks Red Cups: 'Political Correctness Gone Mad'
Brit MP with his panties in a knot tells Breitbart: ‘PERSON WHO DESIGNED THEM SHOULD BE SACKED’

Old 11-07-2015, 10:12 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,907,338 times
Were do you see the person reporting this is Conservative?

Also, isn't this a problem all of you complain about, but when someone else points it out it becomes outrage??

corporate logos; Yes, I was, as most people are, seduced by modern, mass-marketing, which has trounced traditionalism and replaced it with corporate logos and non threatening jingles. And today I returned to my old, caffeinated Mecca (and the crowds made it feel like I was on the Hajji, too).

Amazing when young kids these days speak their minds......truly horrifying; And what I found was deeply disappointing to 17-year-old, macchiato-chugging me. The Red Cups (do I need a trademark symbol after that?) are now an anti-Christmas symbol, with Starbucks declaring their formerly Christmassy cups to be “holiday beverages” and shedding any sign of Christmas from them.

This is on Starbucks, next year they should go with Ebenezer Scrooge as their logo.

Old 11-07-2015, 10:14 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,776,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
First of all, the red cups just look better now. They're far more aesthetically pleasing than the super kitsch over the top Christmas cups of the past. But I'm a minimalist. But seriously, look at that one with the 'hope' bell on it. It's disgusting. The one with the red snowflakes is alright, but that Santa one makes me want to cry.

Regardless, what aspect of Christianity was on those cups at all? Santa and holiday spirit have nothing to do with Christianity. The modern Santa Clause came about in I think the 1950s from a Coca-Cola ad. Literally, everything that's been on those cups is connect exclusively to American consumerism (like most of Christmas) and not Christianity. They weren't printing those special cups for Jesus, they did it for marketing, as in making money, as in something Jesus wasn't about in the first place.

Let's be honest, the switch to the red cup was either a design choice (it's a more mature design) or because it's cheaper to have a plain red cup than to print holiday marketing all over it.
I like the plain red cups better myself, but I am kind of a minimalist as well. They are still red and green, which are Christmas colors. I can't look at that cup and think that its anything other than a Christmas cup.

I remember back in the early '90s, conservative Christians were outraged at that time about so much Christmas marketing revolving around Santa and reindeer rather than the Nativity scene. Santa was called secular and anti-Jesus and took Christ out of Christmas. Now, it has apparently become Christian and removing Santa or snowflakes is attacking Christianity. It always seems to be something.

Old 11-07-2015, 10:16 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,226,483 times
I go through Starbucks holiday themed coffee like Sherman through Atlanta and I always like when they switch the cups to something more festive. The plain red cup doesn't offend me, it is still an acknowledgement of the Christmas season.

Old 11-07-2015, 10:19 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,211,997 times
Wow--talk about making something out of nothing. What a bunch of total mindless naval-gazing nonsense.

Old 11-07-2015, 10:27 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,688,679 times
Poor babies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.