Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 09:13 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,582,560 times

Advertisements

So instead of questioning our policies that give incentive for companies like Apple to move elsewhere, we're supposed to be upset with Apple and want to install more of the same types of policies?

Old 05-18-2015, 09:16 AM

2,777 posts, read 1,780,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Paid for by someone else, which is a drag on the economy as it removes spending/investment in the economy ability from the people from whom the money is taken.
It doesn't remove anything from the economy.

Welfare recipients aren't even allowed to have savings. Absolutely everything they get goes back into the economy.

There are no guarantees that the people from which it is 'taken' would spend that money. THAT is how spending and investment is removed from the economy-- when people don't spend enough money.

Welfare guarantees higher rates of spending.

Old 05-18-2015, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Precisely!!!

Don't expect a liberal will ever understand this.
'Let's give the corporations control of the global economy' isn't hard to understand, it's just hard to accept.

Old 05-18-2015, 09:23 AM

2,014 posts, read 1,528,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spatula City View Post
'Let's give the corporations control of the global economy' isn't hard to understand, it's just hard to accept.
Much better if it's the corporations than the governments.

Old 05-18-2015, 09:26 AM

Quote:
They don't contribute nothing, they contribute demand.
Demand is far more important than supply if you want to make money.
They contribute demand alright, a demand for other peoples money so they can blow it on drugs, booze and lottery tickets.

Old 05-18-2015, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORION83 View Post
Then move off grid and give up EVERYTHING that tax dollars from others pays for. Roads,Firefighters,Cops,EMT's,Education...I can go on and on
I pay way more than my share of taxes for all these tax supported institutions. I pay enough to pay a bunch of other people's share. The real issue is that lowlife welfare recipients contribute nothing to the system while pretending that they do. Yes, you can go on and on and every bit of it is as far from logical as it's possible to get because all you are ever doing is justifying your entitlement position and your desire for other people's money.

Old 05-18-2015, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer0101 View Post
Much better if it's the corporations than the governments.
Oh brilliant.

Maybe the corporations can simply pit nations against each other to see who is willing to stoop the lowest to win over the entire global economy.

Then there can be a competition over who can offer the lowest salaries and worst benefits while doing the most damage to the environment.

Old 05-18-2015, 09:50 AM

88,989 posts, read 44,799,475 times
Quote:
It doesn't remove anything from the economy.
Indeed, it does. Economic expansion requires capital investment. When the funding for capital investment is taken from people to artificially support the welfare-dependent class, capital investment is reduced which consequently thwarts economic expansion.

Old 05-18-2015, 09:54 AM

59,017 posts, read 27,284,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORION83 View Post
Crackdown on Apple in Ireland Opens Front on Tax Avoidance War - Bloomberg Business

74 billion $

Between graduate students and undergrads at both four-year and community colleges, students paid just under $60 billion in tuition to attend state institutions of higher learning in fiscal year 2012.

How Washington Could Make College Tuition Free (Without Spending a Penny More on Education) - The Atlantic

Wonder what we could do with that other 14 Billion? Fix roads? End Homelessness? What?
Were they "HIDING" or just making use of existing tax laws.

I wouldn't be surprised to find out that some of those laws weren't passed by dems.

I find it funny how some whine about corps using "legal" tax laws yet they use child and mortgage deductions themselves.

No difference.

Old 05-18-2015, 09:55 AM

13,949 posts, read 5,620,645 times
Quote:
Economics is the "social science that studies how individuals, governments, firms and nations make choices on allocating scarce resources to satisfy their unlimited wants."

The global economy is an infinitely complex thing that nobody controls so much as participates in. Nothing requires you to buy an Apple product if their corporate conduct bothers you. The only privately sold good or service you are forced by law to purchase is health insurance. That's the nice thing about corporations - you are not required to buy their stuff (unless again, it's health insurance), and for most stuff that isn't a government protected monopoly, there's competition for anything you do wish to buy.

I don't own a single Apple product. Never have, never will. Yet here I am, on the Internet, doing computer stuff, without Apple helping me out. Why...it's as if I am free to not buy a darn thing they sell. I am a part of the global economy, and I say no to Apple. That's the "why" of corporations not running the global economy. There's always someone doing it better, faster, and/or cheaper, and they'll be happy to take your business away from Global_Megacorp_01.

Ireland is an actor in the global economy, and they want capital moving through Ireland. Easy way to get that done is offer global corporations a friendlier tax environment. America could compete and pull the rug out from under Ireland by offering an even friendlier deal to Apple. Done. But America doesn't want to do that because politicians want their tribute. So instead of attracting flies with honey, we simply crank up the volume of vinegar and demand other countries spread around some vinegar as well. Stupid and self-defeating...but hey, that's politics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies