U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 08:42 PM

7,178 posts, read 6,470,659 times

Advertisements

well it would be great for me a const.worker in his 60's.sit around in free college til SS kicks in then bye bye and thankyou
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2015, 08:44 PM

6,553 posts, read 3,282,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Tell em what they want to hear Bernie, shhh and lets ignore reality, it's the perfect way to get their vote.
A lot of countries offer free college education. Finland even offers it to foreign students. I get that it's more expensive in the US, but its still possible.

Old 05-17-2015, 08:45 PM

18,889 posts, read 7,346,323 times
We already offer a hand up via guaranteed student loans , and in most cases, w/o said guarantee, no well run financial institution would offer the loan w/o pledged collateral from parents.

Old 05-17-2015, 08:47 PM

4,923 posts, read 4,094,146 times
I want a new Lexus to go along with my other want .. a new house!

A new boat to go with my new house on the water?

We can use TheDusty's brilliant idea:
Quote:
There's an on going thread about how Apple hid enough tax money to cover the cost of tuition for all American students. So, the worry about who will pay for it should be non-existant.
I'm sure that Apple wont mind, after all as TheDusty says:
Quote:
Funding college on our own is absurd.
Funding My wants is also "absurd"!

Old 05-17-2015, 08:53 PM

6,553 posts, read 3,282,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClose View Post
I want a new Lexus to go along with my other want .. a new house!

A new boat to go with my new house on the water?

We can use TheDusty's brilliant idea:

I'm sure that Apple wont mind, after all as TheDusty says:

Funding My wants is also "absurd"!
College is more than just a want. In order to compete for a professional career, you either need to be a prodigy (which obviously few people are or else it wouldn't be a big deal, now would it?) or have a college degree. And for people who are quite intelligent but not wealthy, are they just supposed to work in a factory, with the risk of having your job outsourced so a kid in China can do it for a few dollars a day, and not make use of their talent? Most places won't hire people who don't have college degrees.

And as others have said, there's not a downside to having an educated society, unless you're of the ilk who prefer stupid people who just follow orders.

Trade deals allow corporations to dodges taxes. My point wasn't that Apple should pay for all of it, but that we should end trade agreements that allow corporations to get big tax breaks and export jobs to other countries for cheaper labor.

And as I said, free education doesn't mean literally everyone gets it. You still have to apply and have some academic ability.

Old 05-17-2015, 08:57 PM

18,889 posts, read 7,346,323 times
The current system works well for the vast majority, as it involves skin in the game. Yet, at the same time, loans are guaranteed to those whose individual net worth and their families, would not warrant a loan.

The last thing we need is to make it free.

If you do not think you or your kids are worthy of a personal investment in their most important asset, I see no reason society should overrule your decision.

Old 05-17-2015, 09:00 PM

79,173 posts, read 33,597,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
College is more than just a want. In order to compete for a professional career, you either need to be a prodigy (which obviously few people are or else it wouldn't be a big deal, now would it?) or have a college degree. And for people who are quite intelligent but not wealthy, are they just supposed to work in a factory, with the risk of having your job outsourced so a kid in China can do it for a few dollars a day, and not make use of their talent? Most places won't hire people who don't have college degrees.

And as others have said, there's not a downside to having an educated society, unless you're of the ilk who prefer stupid people who just follow orders.

Trade deals allow corporations to dodges taxes. My point wasn't that Apple should pay for all of it, but that we should end trade agreements that allow corporations to get big tax breaks and export jobs to other countries for cheaper labor.

And as I said, free education doesn't mean literally everyone gets it. You still have to apply and have some academic ability.
Obama said he was for all of these things and then did the opposite and then got reelected.

Solve that problem.

Old 05-17-2015, 09:17 PM

2,760 posts, read 2,764,825 times
1. we don't really have malfunctioning jobs.
2. Why should I pay for your education ?
3. there is an article online about college eduction in various states. Some states have like11%.

Old 05-17-2015, 09:47 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,943,432 times
Ah ;one of those famous running for president promises. The maddening crowd eats promises as steady diet.

Old 05-17-2015, 10:48 PM

2,686 posts, read 1,416,767 times
Is Sanders going to reimburse every other college student who had to work their way through school?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies