Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 08:36 AM

79,914 posts, read 44,174,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorrysda View Post
Sadam was in close working relations with Al Quada
I would be embarrassed if I was you. Even if posting here is pretty anonymous I'd still bad for myself posting this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 08:44 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,846,995 times
Quote:
The GI Bill was payment to great Americans who had put their lives on the line to defend America so the rest of us could enjoy the greatest country on earth. Those GI's had already paid for that education.
The GIs haven't "defended" America in a long time... They have attacked a lot of countries but the last time they defended us was Afghanistan... They fought more battles for special interests then they have for Americas protection... Their officer program is bloated with perks and its members are overpaid, we shouldn't be like Rome... Why do we need a big standing army for? Kick most of them into reserves and keep a small contingent on active duty and increase their pay and benefits for the GI because they actually deserve it... Reduce officer benefits and transfer to the GI....

Old 05-20-2015, 09:19 AM

30,251 posts, read 23,723,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
A lot of GI Bill veterans would argue otherwise.
As lorrysda said, I don't consider that "free". I worked my arse off for that. That was NOT a hand out.

Old 05-20-2015, 09:53 AM

28,663 posts, read 18,768,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Why do we need a big standing army for? Kick most of them into reserves and keep a small contingent on active duty and increase their pay and benefits for the GI because they actually deserve it... Reduce officer benefits and transfer to the GI....
Actually the preponderance of the Total Force is in the Guard and Reserves. Congress made it that way in the 80s with the intention that it would prevent a president from entering another Vietnam-type war without having Congressional support. They didn't expect Congress would simply roll over for the presiden as easily as they did after 9/11.

Old 05-20-2015, 09:54 AM

28,663 posts, read 18,768,884 times
Quote:
Folks, public schooling up through High School is NOT FREE! The communities pay for same via the parents and citizens of each area...not Federal Government. Some through property tax, some through direct taxation...depends on the area. Those people also have control of the schools through school boards selected/elected within those communities Let's get off this business of thinking the publication education is "Free!"

I will state that the "Unions" have contributed a large portion of the "dumbed-down" education we have been seeing since the 1960's. But it is the local school boards that let this happen.

If Bernie Sanders wants to make a contribution then he should support prohibiting any and all government employees from unionizing. This would go a long way toward correcting our education problems plus also stopping the "conflict of interest" in the area of negotiating contracts. This has been discussed and pointed out on other threads.
Okay, now its the unions.

Old 05-20-2015, 04:21 PM

2,851 posts, read 2,299,547 times
Some people here seem to have no clue whatsoever.

THERE'S NO SUCH THING AS FREE EDUCATION. Period. Not here, nor in Europe, not anywhere. The colleges here and there cost tons of money to run, and this money will come from someone. One way or another. Here it's partially from the taxpayers but mostly from the students or their parents. There, it's all from the taxpayers.

When a student attends a "low cost" college in France or Germany, the bigger part of his stay there is funded by the middle class and poor working people than by the rich. They pay more taxes, as a group, than anyone else. So a poor Turkish immigrant barely getting by, whose kids likely won't go to college, is forced to pay for some young German kid's degree, via increased taxes and resulting higher overall cost of living. This is not necessarily a bad thing, but people must realize this before they start posting nonsense about "free" education in Europe.

Is their system better than ours ? I, honestly, have no idea. There's lots of pros and cons either way. The only way taxpayer funded college education would work in the US would be if the federal or state governments started heavily regulating costs and programs - otherwise I can see a runaway free-for-all money grab by the colleges. And, judging by the sorry ass state of our public schools, I wouldn't want our state govts anywhere near the colleges for sure. Perhaps Germans do a better job. However, most of the world top colleges are still in the US.

Oh, and the "free" public schools in the US are most definitely not free. They may be free for you if you're on public assistance, but I pay enough city taxes to buy a decent new car every four years with, and a huge part of that money goes towards schools. Plus part of the gasoline tax. Plus part of the state sales tax. Would your elderly parents agree to significantly raise their property tax, their state sales tax, and add $1 per gallon of gas so that somebody else's kids could go to college for "free" ?

Old 05-20-2015, 04:35 PM

2,851 posts, read 2,299,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
As usual the real problem isn't addressed. The cost of a college education has far and away surpassed the rate of inflation (I'll grant the argument that the government lies about what this truly is) or the cost of living.

There is a real problem here. In large part this is because of the governments involvement. Anything the government subsidizes ends up costing more and more. Nobody should get stuck with 6 figure debts just to get an education. That should be addressed but the idea that an education can ever be "free" is only argued dishonestly. There is no such thing.
That's right, and I believe the free-for-all student loans (free as in freely given) are a big part of the blame. That, plus the gradual decline in direct state subsidies to colleges. But if you can get $200k in financing for just being on campus, and college can get half of that money, they will keep raising the costs as long as these loans keep flowing.

Just imagine that the government will give you tens of thousands in loans, payable over 20 years, without credit check, as long as you apply that money towards a new car. How long do you think would it take for the car costs to triple ?

Old 06-01-2015, 03:30 AM

2,385 posts, read 1,587,078 times
Just some insights from someone who went to college in Germany and knows how the system works.

In Germany there are 3 tiers of high school after Elementary. One for the underachievers, one for the average achievers and one for the overachievers. Only those that graduate from the highest tier (The one for the overachievers) can go to college. Yes, college in Germany is "for free" (meaning tuition) but only for those that graduate from the highest tier of high school. Those who graduate from the the two lower tiers can either choose to learn a trade or if their grades are good enough switch to the higher tier.

The 3rd tier of high school is called "Hauptschule" students graduate after 9 years.
The 2nd tier of high school is called "Realschule" students graduate after 10 years.
The 1st tier of high school is called "Gymnasium" students graduate after 13 years.

Those who have learnded a trade can also try to finish the highest tier of high school in night schools and this way can go to college as well.

Old 06-01-2015, 03:35 AM

79,914 posts, read 44,174,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustmeagain View Post
Just some insights from someone who went to college in Germany and knows how the system works.

In Germany there are 3 tiers of high school after Elementary. One for the underachievers, one for the average achievers and one for the overachievers. Only those that graduate from the highest tier (The one for the overachievers) can go to college. Yes, college in Germany is "for free" (meaning tuition) but only for those that graduate from the highest tier of high school. Those who graduate from the the two lower tiers can either choose to learn a trade or if their grades are good enough switch to the higher tier.

The 3rd tier of high school is called "Hauptschule" students graduate after 9 years.
The 2nd tier of high school is called "Realschule" students graduate after 10 years.
The 1st tier of high school is called "Gymnasium" students graduate after 13 years.

Those who have learnded a trade can also try to finish the highest tier of high school in night schools and this way can go to college as well.
Which would never be accepted here, especially by those who want college to be "free". For really good students, college is "free" here also. They are called scholarships.

We just had around 90 some kids graduate the local high school. I believe it was said that 24 qualified for the states Promise Scholarship. That is, they can attend any in state school and it's paid for by the state (taxpayers).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies