U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-18-2015, 04:26 AM
 
410 posts, read 209,849 times
Reputation: 510

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
Who pays for it?
Pay for what? Its free!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-18-2015, 04:41 AM
 
7,984 posts, read 3,474,005 times
Reputation: 11238
Oh god forbid you throw the average American a bone! You conservatives have to think outside the box every now and then. I would also include a two year trade school for the young people who aren't college material. Makes sense to me. We always have money for a new war. What's wrong with spending some money here on our own people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2015, 04:55 AM
 
26,304 posts, read 12,868,479 times
Reputation: 12551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Oh god forbid you throw the average American a bone! You conservatives have to think outside the box every now and then. I would also include a two year trade school for the young people who aren't college material. Makes sense to me. We always have money for a new war. What's wrong with spending some money here on our own people?
I'd love to see us do some actual trade schools like this. Its 2015, high school level training is no longer enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshGL View Post
Pay for what? Its free!
Maybe the question people here should be asking themselves is....in a increasingly competitive world...can we afford not to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2015, 04:57 AM
 
24,102 posts, read 11,968,087 times
Reputation: 10264
Pipe dream. Never happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2015, 04:59 AM
 
Location: North Beach, MD on the Chesapeake
33,928 posts, read 42,185,115 times
Reputation: 43354
This whole thread started with a false premise, that K-12 education is "free". It isn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2015, 05:02 AM
 
26,304 posts, read 12,868,479 times
Reputation: 12551
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
This whole thread started with a false premise, that K-12 education is "free". It isn't.
Its free to those engaging in the use of it, I'm pretty darn sure everyone knows it isn't free. Not sure why so many conservatives can't understand that yes, the people that they are talking to DO in fact understand that we pay for K-12 schools, and that we would ALSO pay for this idea as a society. But that those attending would not pay at the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2015, 05:05 AM
 
Location: North Beach, MD on the Chesapeake
33,928 posts, read 42,185,115 times
Reputation: 43354
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Its free to those engaging in the use of it, I'm pretty darn sure everyone knows it isn't free. Not sure why so many conservatives can't understand that yes, the people that they are talking to DO in fact understand that we pay for K-12 schools, and that we would ALSO pay for this idea as a society. But that those attending would not pay at the time.
You would be surprised at the number of people who don't realize that K-12 isn't free. Including some very highly educated individuals.

In states like MD, and others, where the school budget is not broken out as a separate tax bill, as it is in many states, the ignorance on how public schools are funded is rampant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2015, 05:25 AM
 
26,304 posts, read 12,868,479 times
Reputation: 12551
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You would be surprised at the number of people who don't realize that K-12 isn't free. Including some very highly educated individuals.

In states like MD, and others, where the school budget is not broken out as a separate tax bill, as it is in many states, the ignorance on how public schools are funded is rampant.
In all honesty I find that difficult to believe. yes I am sure you can point out some folks.

Yes I'm sure everyone calls them free, knowing full well the taxpayers are paying for it. Again it is represented as free because we are paying for it as a society, usually at the state level with some federal funds as well. I doubt anyone thinks teachers work for free, or school buildings or buses magically appear out of thin air.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2015, 05:29 AM
 
11,087 posts, read 6,999,393 times
Reputation: 6366
I guess the Millenials aren't fully brainwashed by the 12th grade?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2015, 05:30 AM
 
Location: North Beach, MD on the Chesapeake
33,928 posts, read 42,185,115 times
Reputation: 43354
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
In all honesty I find that difficult to believe. yes I am sure you can point out some folks.

Yes I'm sure everyone calls them free, knowing full well the taxpayers are paying for it. Again it is represented as free because we are paying for it as a society, usually at the state level with some federal funds as well. I doubt anyone thinks teachers work for free, or school buildings or buses magically appear out of thin air.
I may have been unclear, while people know it costs something they don't know where it comes from, which is local property taxes in most cases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:14 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top