U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2015, 08:21 AM

12,289 posts, read 7,971,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Colleges are not selling 'education' - they're selling CREDENTIALS.
You can learn any way, any time, any place, but without those credentials, that education won't comply with Labor laws, etc., etc.

If you want to drive down the cost for credentials, let government offer credentials - by - examination.
That would kill off the monopoly that accredited institutions rely on.
Because government has been known for producing a product cheaper than the private sector.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2015, 08:23 AM

6,429 posts, read 4,187,549 times
Free college tuition should only go to students with majors that will lead to jobs where employees are needed. If you want a feel good degree, you can pay for it yourself.

The admissions should only be open for those that are qualified and not have any quotas of any kind.

Old 05-18-2015, 08:28 AM

2,995 posts, read 1,220,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MX City visiting View Post
In many European and other 1st world countries, college education is free just like K - 12. Students may need to pay for their own housing and textbooks though. In America, college cost is among the most expensive in the world, and the cost keep raising every year it seems like. Our students and young people today are struggling with huge loan debts when there is no guarantee of finding any jobs in this economy, and many even low-paying jobs; indeed, students who find jobs right after college still must pay their huge debts, or their parents' which isn't easy. Yes, community college is more affordable, and there are "scholarships" and "financial aid" out there, but still not enough and you could talk of tens of thousands of student loans after graduating despite all of this "free" money. Going to college is very expensive, and shouldn't be! Now those who chose to attend private college is different, and graduate school should be charged. Yes, I understand college isn't for everyone and surprisingly despite college being free of charge in many other nations, not all students decide to attend college or pick "crappy" majors.

I believe undergraduate degree should be free of charge for all students just like K - 12 in public schools. However, students must do good in high school to qualify. Public colleges should not be for profit!
1) If something is too easy and free it will be taken for granted.
2) If free education to 12th grade isn't enough then how do you decide that undergraduate be free but not graduate?
3) Why shouldn't people pay their debts after colege? Suposedly a main reason of going to college is to get a better paying job. If someone is getting an unmarketable degree maybe they don't need to spend the money if they don't want to be saddled with the debt. Or do it like myself and many others take a little longer and pay as you go (finish with little or no debt).
4) Personally I think we put too much emphasis on higher education but don't really know the right amount. From my job experience 90% of what I needed was learned on the job. The main thing I learned in college was how to learn. I don't think it took a MBA for me to learn that. The degree does open doors and let employers know your capabilities.

Old 05-18-2015, 08:30 AM

2,995 posts, read 1,220,353 times
Quote:
Actually many students do work and go to college at the same time but still cannot keep up with the student loans and college cost. Minimum wages are very low as well. Remember college is like full-time work too...
That is why sometimes part time school and full time work is the best answer. That is what I did except for the first year where I wasted my parents money and my time.

Old 05-18-2015, 08:32 AM

6,553 posts, read 3,285,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Perhaps if students would get a job in addition to going to school and learn how to budget their time and income they would be getting along much better.
Why can't these students do what many other college students before them did? Pay their own way without loans and grants?
Many others had full time jobs and went to school as well and still got good grades and graduated with honors.
Too many students rely on others to take care of them because they just cannot handle doing more than one thing at a time. It's too stressful for them.......wah
You must have gone to college (or simply never have gone) prior to 1980 in order to think what you just said is valid.

Old 05-18-2015, 08:38 AM

30,123 posts, read 16,646,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Notaras View Post
. Why do you think that public colleges are profitable?
. How many students should go to college, how hard should it be to qualify?
. Should degrees in Chicana Studies be paid for by the public?
Do you deny that public colleges are not profitable? It's ALL about the money.

I'd like to live and work along an educated populace, thank you very much. And certainly they don't all have to be engineering degrees.

Old 05-18-2015, 08:39 AM

6,636 posts, read 4,605,810 times
I'm good with this as long as we test kids and track only the brightest to college just like European countries. The rest go to vocational schools and apprenticeships. We cannot afford fund a free college education for everyone. Nor are there jobs for everyone with a college education. The best and brightest are doing fine, but many mediocre students would have been better served choosing another route.

Old 05-18-2015, 08:42 AM

29,546 posts, read 16,505,494 times
Quote:
I believe undergraduate degree should be free of charge for all students just like K - 12 in public schools. However, students must do good in high school to qualify. Public colleges should not be for profit!
I believe golf lessons should be free. Why should I have to pay for golf lessons? Why doesn't the government take over the golf lesson industry, eliminate profits and make it free for all of us? How am expected to close the inequality gap between me and Tiger Woods if I can't get free golf lessons? Why should somebody profit from my inability to play good golf?

Old 05-18-2015, 08:46 AM

27,617 posts, read 17,675,866 times
Quote:

How do you propose to get the professors and staff to work without being paid? Where will they find free buildings to work in? Free facilities to run labs?

Old 05-18-2015, 08:46 AM

14,386 posts, read 7,724,391 times
Quote:
In many European and other 1st world countries, college education is free just like K - 12. Students may need to pay for their own housing and textbooks though. In America, college cost is among the most expensive in the world, and the cost keep raising every year it seems like. Our students and young people today are struggling with huge loan debts when there is no guarantee of finding any jobs in this economy, and many even low-paying jobs; indeed, students who find jobs right after college still must pay their huge debts, or their parents' which isn't easy. Yes, community college is more affordable, and there are "scholarships" and "financial aid" out there, but still not enough and you could talk of tens of thousands of student loans after graduating despite all of this "free" money. Going to college is very expensive, and shouldn't be! Now those who chose to attend private college is different, and graduate school should be charged. Yes, I understand college isn't for everyone and surprisingly despite college being free of charge in many other nations, not all students decide to attend college or pick "crappy" majors.

Nothing is free, who do you feel should pay for these "free" educations?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies