Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 06:31 AM

28,624 posts, read 18,682,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I did my time to EARN that GI Bill and go to college. That was one big reason why I signed up for 8 years.
You realize you got the GI Bill after the first 180 days, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 07:29 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,823,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Since he is not likely to read your link, I'll quote some of it;

We cross-checked the Open Secrets list of the top 100 individuals donating to outside spending groups in the current election against the Forbes list of the world’s billionaires and found that, as of June 19, there were 22 individuals on the Open Secrets list who were billionaires. Of those 22 billionaires, 13 -- or more than half -- gave predominantly to liberal groups or groups affiliated with the Democratic Party. The other nine gave predominantly to conservative groups. (A list of billionaires and how much they donated can be found here.)

Among the liberal-leaning donors are former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg and business magnate George Soros. On the conservative side are S. Daniel Abraham, who founded SlimFast, and Vincent McMahon, who owns World Wrestling Entertainment.
Knowing Vince McMahon beyond the character and the person, I am not surprised he is conservative leaning. He acts like many "old people" on city-data. though the thing that complicates it is that I think most of those contributions is rather from his wife (Linda McMahon) who spent about 100m on two failed Connecticut U.S. Senate races. Not saying it is wrong but that complicates matters.

Old 05-20-2015, 07:58 AM

1,609 posts, read 1,077,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I have no clue what you are even talking about, my son graduated from UNR 5 years ago and he got an excellent education, he certainly didn't indulge in drug and booze parties- where do you get this stuff, from the old movie "Party Animal"?
I congratulate you for correctly and responsibly raising a good kid. I only wish more parents were as responsible.

What I stated in my previous post is a well, known fact.

Old 05-20-2015, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Very different situations. For one, there was no "nation building" necessary in Germany. Germany had been a cohesive nation prior to the war and it always had a functioning national government infrastructure through the war and ready to go back into operation--the US never actually "ran" West Germany. The same was true in Japan. For the Germans, there was already a "Germany." For the Japanese, there was already a "Japan."

Iraq, OTOH, was still just a bunch of battling sects that had only been suppressed by a dictator. It was no different from Yugoslavia under Tito, and in fact watching Yugoslavia spin apart led Iraq intelligence analysts to realize the same thing would happen in Iraq after Saddam.

It wasn't a matter of Iraq defending itself, it was a matter that there was and still is no real "Iraq" in the mind of the average Iraqi.

Iraq wasn't responsible for any terrorism exported anywhere except Israel. Saudi Arabia holds that responsibility.
Sadam was in close working relations with Al Quada and supported them in their attacks against America. Sadam had gassed thousands of Kurds...women and children included and left to rot. Sadam "took" anything from the people that he wanted...give me or die was the alternative...this I know first hand since I have friends within the "Arabian Horse world in Iraq. Great Arabian horses had to be kept hidden from his eyes or they were lost. Sadam had invaded Kuwait and was soundly driven back UNDER a very strict agreement he signed. He had already broken 17 parts of that agreement. Of course Iraq under Sadam needed to be brought under control.

We did that, Iraqi's were on their way to creating their own style of democracy. When BO got in the Iraq government knew that when America abandoned them (as BO did) the enemy would kill them; thus, they aligned themselves with a stronger sect...IRAN! Afghanistan leadership did the same thing as soon as BO "announced to the world" he was pulling out and gave a date. Geez! How stupid. If any one else had given the enemy our plans like BO did, they would have been arrested and prosecuted as a traitor to America. Please, folks, wake up! Understand a bit more about not only the Middle Eastern way of life (and that is NOT terrorism) but human nature in general.

Old 05-20-2015, 08:12 AM

Quote:
A lot of GI Bill veterans would argue otherwise.
The GI Bill was payment to great Americans who had put their lives on the line to defend America so the rest of us could enjoy the greatest country on earth. Those GI's had already paid for that education.

Old 05-20-2015, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorrysda View Post
Sadam was in close working relations with Al Quada and supported them in their attacks against America.
Actually, Sadam was on Al Qaeda's list of targets.

Quote:
Sadam had gassed thousands of Kurds...women and children included and left to rot. Sadam "took" anything from the people that he wanted...give me or die was the alternative...this I know first hand since I have friends within the "Arabian Horse world in Iraq. Great Arabian horses had to be kept hidden from his eyes or they were lost. Sadam had invaded Kuwait and was soundly driven back UNDER a very strict agreement he signed. He had already broken 17 parts of that agreement. Of course Iraq under Sadam needed to be brought under control.
You proved my point.

Quote:
We did that, Iraqi's were on their way to creating their own style of democracy.
A Shiite government that was anathema to the Sunni and Kurdish residents. And if you really had any Sunni friends in Iraq, they would have told you that.

Quote:
When BO got in the Iraq government knew that when America abandoned them (as BO did) the enemy would kill them; thus, they aligned themselves with a stronger sect...IRAN! Afghanistan leadership did the same thing as soon as BO "announced to the world" he was pulling out and gave a date.
No, you weren't paying attention. The Shiite government the US left in Iraq was Iran-leaning from the beginning and its military was oppressive to the Iraqi Sunnis. The reason ISIS has made headway is because Iraqi Sunnis won't fight fellow Sunnis for the sake of the Iraqi Shiite government.

Old 05-20-2015, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorrysda View Post
The GI Bill was payment to great Americans who had put their lives on the line to defend America so the rest of us could enjoy the greatest country on earth. Those GI's had already paid for that education.
So wasn't it unfair to the WWI vets who didn't get it? My point is that whenever the government institutes any plan, there are going to be people of the past who didn't get to take advantage of it. That's not a reason not to institute a plan.

Old 05-20-2015, 08:20 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,190,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
I think this is a good idea. k12 is free. Why can't college be?

Bernie Sanders to Introduce*Bill*to Make College Tuition-Free - Bloomberg Politics

You do know that someone will end up paying, lulz

Old 05-20-2015, 08:22 AM

Quote:
It was very valuable until relatively recently, and it had been free for generations before that.

It only became "worthless" because Big Education decided that a bachelor's degree was a necessity for everyone to earn a living and began teaching only for college.

That led to a high school curriculum that is deliberately not useful in itself. Back in the 90s, the governor of Hawaii compared the state's high school curriculum with the industry that Hawaii actually had and declared "Our high schools are a waste of time."

The reason a high school diploma has no value today is because it was deliberately devalued--not because it is "free." Considering that it still takes some effort to gain it, it's not "free." It just doesn't cost cash out of the pocket.

Folks, public schooling up through High School is NOT FREE! The communities pay for same via the parents and citizens of each area...not Federal Government. Some through property tax, some through direct taxation...depends on the area. Those people also have control of the schools through school boards selected/elected within those communities Let's get off this business of thinking the publication education is "Free!"

I will state that the "Unions" have contributed a large portion of the "dumbed-down" education we have been seeing since the 1960's. But it is the local school boards that let this happen.

If Bernie Sanders wants to make a contribution then he should support prohibiting any and all government employees from unionizing. This would go a long way toward correcting our education problems plus also stopping the "conflict of interest" in the area of negotiating contracts. This has been discussed and pointed out on other threads.

Old 05-20-2015, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Actually, Sadam was on Al Qaeda's list of targets.

You proved my point.

A Shiite government that was anathema to the Sunni and Kurdish residents. And if you really had any Sunni friends in Iraq, they would have told you that.

No, you weren't paying attention. The Shiite government the US left in Iraq was Iran-leaning from the beginning and its military was oppressive to the Iraqi Sunnis. The reason ISIS has made headway is because Iraqi Sunnis won't fight fellow Sunnis for the sake of the Iraqi Shiite government.
Sorry, your lack of knowledge of the people of the Middle East leads to very wrong thinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies