U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 06:48 PM

15,587 posts, read 6,159,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
Old Glory.......

So, who was Mrs Mudd. Come on, you know it all.

Who led the Americans when they tried to attack and occupy Quebec City.. Hint he has a breakfast dish named after him.

You made a big boast, now try to live up to it.

Jim B.
Benedict Arnold. Duh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2015, 01:38 AM

8,505 posts, read 4,389,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I consider myself to be a serious history buff. I was actually a history major at an Ivy League college. Yet I had never heard of The Great Awakening. I just e-mailed a friend who went to college with me who has evangelical leanings to see if he knows of it.
Your friend probably will know about it.

The last 2 years of my high school was spent at a Baptist Academy. However, I did visit a middle school teacher (during that time) who taught me when I was a student there and we were friendly enough that I went to see her. The students were out, but their text books were on the desk and I was curious, so I took a history book off one of the desks and scanned through it. There was one paragraph in the book on The Great Awakening and I'm sure it was not on the curriculum to be taught.

I learned something about myself (perhaps not me, but the way and what in the subjects were taught) going from a public school to a private Christian school. Subjects, history, science and math were tough for me in the public school and in English/Literature I would ace the course.

History, Science and Math were easier for me in the private school and English, I bombed out. Dissecting the sentence structure of a Biblical passage, not a very easy task for me in high school.

I went to a community college 13 years after graduation and history was part of the degree plan. Again, it was most difficult for me to remember the dates, the people of history and their contributions to our country. I changed my degree plan from Journalist to Accounting, because a good Journalist will know their history.

Last edited by Ellis Bell; 05-22-2015 at 01:50 AM..

Old 05-22-2015, 01:46 AM

8,505 posts, read 4,389,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Agreed. History is like math, the subject is too big for just one person to understand it all.
Think tank environments for both subjects would be a most exciting adventure, where they challenge each other to achieve greater thought and expand upon ideas.

Old 05-22-2015, 10:03 AM

32,277 posts, read 26,131,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prytania View Post
I love history.

Problem I see, is people aren't aware (and don't care) about not only the origins of the country, they don't care or know of their own ancestral contributions to the United States.

I do wish the craze into ancestral research would expand a bit...especially among the black and white people in the East and South. I got pulled into it by accident, and 3 years later I have verified that my lineal ancestors arrived in Jamestown, Virginia in 1611, others were implicated in Bacon's Rebellion in Virginia.
and fought for the British in the American Revolution and were killed
while other ancestors were Continental Army and militia regulars

My ancestors were English, Welsh and Scots-Irish

I think once you realise that your family played a role, any role...slave, redneck, political leader or just backwoods farmer, it can become something you feel invested in. Your ancestors, your country.
agreed. one thing i found out is that i am related to two presidents, and a signer of the declaration of independence.

Old 05-28-2015, 01:08 PM

17,087 posts, read 9,797,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I consider myself to be a serious history buff. I was actually a history major at an Ivy League college. Yet I had never heard of The Great Awakening. I just e-mailed a friend who went to college with me who has evangelical leanings to see if he knows of it.
I've read quite a bit about the Great Awakening, but I'm not sure whether my first introduction to the subject was through school or personal research. I'm thinking it was personal research, because it's a hard topic to address without delving into theology, which wouldn't fly in a public school history course.

Old 05-28-2015, 01:36 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,461,947 times
I tend to get the idea that you think Americans should be more widely read in the history of American slavery. And that the U.S. should have more holidays with forced celebration to assuage the egos of some citizens who really have no idea if they are related to former slaves or what life conditions those slaves might have endured. In other words, 'I'm black and you owe me'.

Get over it. Slavery is endemic to the human race. I thank the founders of this country for leaving in place a method to make the changes necessary. That process probably didn't work out as well as might have been preferred but ultimately the goal was achieved. Unfortunately, the resulting history for blacks hasn't turned out as well. That is not a result of slavery but the failure of a class of citizens who haven't pursued avenues available to them. Including participating in a successful culture. Some have.

Most American kids aren't going to read some created history of abolition, outside of passing the semester exam. Many more won't recall what they might have derived from that subject matter. As an 'history', it's not especially overbearing. Just a sad tale which some won't allow to end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or