Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 11:31 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,029,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
It most certainly is a "regional issue".

Care to say how many Radical Islams there are around the world... and why don't you just call them
religious extremist nuts.

Doesn't matter which side we want to be on, we shouldn't take our hard earned tax dollars to fight religious wars/civil wars abroad - period. Nor sacrificing our young men and women of our military, which is a given.
It's not a regional issue, it may me taking place mostly in one region right now but it won't stay there for long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
BURDELL makes an excellent point. We do not have ANY allies, including Israel, in that region. They are ALL our enemies and will stay so as long as fundamental Islam exists.

46,261 posts, read 27,074,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
We should send Dubya over there to clean up his mess and keep all other americans out of the ME completely.
And all the dems that voted for it!

Old 05-18-2015, 11:35 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,029,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
LOL. I think we will be ready for them when they come. Honestly, have you ever been in the US Armed Forces? Ever been in combat? Can you begin to get your head around the military ability of the US? You really think ISIS is going to be a match for the US? Did you miss the news about the raid this weekend - a few dozen dead islamists and no US wounded or killed. You war mongers sounding false alarms are truly crazy.
I'm a US veteran who spent time in Iraq, the "ability of the US" has nothing to do with my opinions. ISIS doesn't have to match the US military if they keep recruiting civilians to attack and kill civilians.

Old 05-18-2015, 11:42 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
The reports I heard this AM had the Iraqi Army fleeing the fight, we owe them nothing.

If we haven't yet learned the sheer folly of attempting to fight others' battles when they won't fight for themselves we deserve a special Nobel Prize for Insanity.
I also heard the Shiite militia is getting ready to take it back.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-32777138

Shia militias are assembling east of the Iraqi city of Ramadi to prepare for a counter-attack against Islamic State militants who captured it on Sunday.
Iraqi state TV described tanks and other military vehicles entering al-Habbaniyah military camp

Old 05-18-2015, 11:42 AM

1,376 posts, read 1,312,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Another thought.......Iraqi's have thousands of years of history of assigning priority to tribal affiliation over and above basic human rights.....how about we just let them continue unabated until they finally reduce themselves to scattered nomads all scratching in the desert for whatever they need to get them through another day.
There hasn't been "Iraqis" for thousands of years though, in part though that's the problem, the Brits divided up a bunch of various cultures into borders of their own creation. The Kurds should've had their own state to begin with(though that would anger Turkey) and historically there's enough reason to divide up the north and south of Iraq into different states. Though even Europe was fighting each other over national borders both internally and externally until relatively recently. As for Iraq it'd be like if pieces of Poland and the Czech Republic and Slovakia were carved into one artificial state with no real defined history after World War II. Eventually that's going to fall apart.

Quote:
My fantasy would be to erect a 30 foot wall around the entire region, (Saudi Arabia and Kuwait included) forget the oil underneath them and refuse to provide the infrastructure maintenance/parts/technology to enable all further pumping and let them go at it with their ancient tribal and Royal nonsense until it's down to the two worst of them still standing duking it out with dull swords, televise the battle with Jimmy The Greek odds making and then walk in to start rebuilding from scratch and pumping their (now our) oil.
Yes, yes, they're all animals right?(That's about par for the course of the level of discussion on this forum). The fact is though that there's plenty of people in the region who'd love to see peace and prosperity in the region--but what's happening now is basically for the fact that there's no hegemon in the region and every political ideology in the last fifty years has sort of failed--colonialism replaced the Ottoman Empire's organization, Baathism and Arab nationalism tried to replace colonialism and ended up with dictatorships and one-party rule and all that was left was religion and tribal affiliations. Perhaps in the long-run a dictator like Sisi is going to be the easist short-term solution--though in the end every dictatorship will come to a messy end--and the aftershocks usually end up like a prison riot.

Last edited by CanuckInPortland; 05-18-2015 at 12:11 PM..

Old 05-18-2015, 11:43 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
As I consider Islam to be an enemy of all rational people I do not have any problem with them killing each other. It will get really interesting when these crazies start to attack Saudi Arabia and the rest of the Gulf Emirates. ISIS is a criminal organization and the Saudis and the Emirs are where the money is concentrated it is nearly certain that they will become an ISIS target.

Old 05-18-2015, 11:44 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Here's a thought, let that country take care of its own.
We executed their leader, one who did keep the country in tow.
We created the mess that is Iraq today.

Old 05-18-2015, 11:51 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Isn't it comforting to know that our saviour now has boots on the ground in Syria
I don't have a savior.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
That's about on par with watching a person getting beat to death, crying for help. Nobody helps because it isn't affecting them. WE took the same stance when England was getting thrashed for nearly three years before Japan forced us into the war.

Sometimes prevention is the best policy. I know it takes a little forward thinking, but things could get really bad, really fast, at the rate ISIS is growing. It was our exodus from Iraq that created the vacuum, making us responsible for ISIS in the first place.

I was fine with kicking the Taliban's asses, but when we invaded Iraq... I became a Libertarian. I saw it for what it was; finishing what daddy wanted in the first place.

If SoDamn Insane had been left to his rule, ISIS wouldn't exist and Iran would be in check.

WE had no business in Libya either. Now we're in Syria. Do our politicians have a clue?
I wasn't fine with kicking the Taliban's ass at all. The Taliban never attacked this country. And we certainly have no shot at running them out of Afghanistan. And to the extent we did manage to push the Taliban around was largely because the Iranians helped us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
It's only a fight between Shiites and the Sunnis until one group succeeds in killing the other then the winner will just pick a new target. This isn't a regional issue, this is a Radial Islam vs. the rest of the world issue and unfortunately there are a whole lot more Muslims in the "Radical Islam" category than most people are willing to admit or even think about.
They may or may not pick a new target....but i'll err on the same side that you do. Sure, they'll pick a new target.

And we should cross that bridge when we come to it. But there's no need to get involved in Iraq right now. There's no national interest for doing so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
CNN just reported it fell to isis....
My understanding is that it has fallen, but i'm also getting some mixed reports as to the veracity of that proclamation. I really don't know how anyone could know at this point. Probably gonna be a few days before we know for sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Glad you agree with me.

If we as a country don't have the right stuff to get the job done then don't sign the contract to do it.
It's not about having the "right stuff." Not to me. Even if we did have the right stuff to do it doesn't mean that we SHOULD do it. In fact, it should make you far MORE reluctant to do it.

Being a bully is bad modus operandi.

Old 05-18-2015, 11:55 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
We meddled in Egypt and look at it today.
We meddled in Iraq and look at it today.
We meddled in Libya and look at it today.
We meddle in Afghanistan and look at it today.

If creating a destabilized country to continue the perpetual "war on terror" then we have been successful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies