Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 12:35 AM

50,798 posts, read 24,310,427 times

Advertisements

I don't know much about jewelry, so I'll ask a pretty basic question. Could the jewelry be melted back down and reused. I'm guessing the answer is yes. So, therefore, I don't see what harm has come to the jeweler, other than the harm he caused himself.

However, I feel that he fulfilled a contract, and that he should have been legally able to keep the deposit. Obviously, for public relations, he was better off giving them back the deposit.

Was he wise to put up the sign? No. Just do his job. Obviously his morals didn't make him refuse the job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2015, 12:37 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
He had every right to put up his sign, it's his business, and they had every right to ask for a refund. That's how it works. That's what at least I've been saying on this forum for some time. Instead of telling businesses how they should act, let the market work. If people don't like what the business owner says, then they can take their business elsewhere without enacting a bunch of insipid laws trying to control people.

This is exactly how it should be working. Why would any one of my fellow "righties" think differently? Isn't this what we've been saying? So when it happens, then let it fricken happen. He will lose the business of those who disagree with him, and he will gain the business of those who agree with him.

What is the problem?

Old 07-20-2015, 01:25 AM

38,644 posts, read 26,374,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
A Newfoundland jeweller took a deposit from a lesbian couple to make their engagement rings.
Shortly afterwards he posted a sign in his store "The Sanctity of Marriage IS UNDER ATTACK; Help Keep Marriage Between Man & Woman"
The couple then asked for their money back even though the rings were ready to be picked up. The jeweller hadn't discriminated and believed he had held up his end of the contract. The Internet went nuts and he has since agreed to give back the deposit.

Owner Esau Jardon says those are his personal beliefs but he is does not believe gay marriage should be illegal:
"It [the sign] doesn’t even mention homosexuals or a specific group within that. It could talk about, for example, the sanctity of the traditional family. There are other forms of heterosexuals that are practising that (my family doesn’t) believe in, that we think the traditional form is the best way. For example, if people are cohabitating,"

Jeweller says he has been bullied, threatened - Local - The Telegram

Image of sign:
Jewelry store sign prompts same-sex couple to ask for refund - Newfoundland & Labrador - CBC News

So the rings are "tainted" because the jeweler expressed an opinion they didn`t like but no one`s traditional marriage is impacted by the word "marriage" being changed to mean same-sex marriage.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 07-20-2015 at 08:28 AM.. Reason: edited quoted post

Old 07-20-2015, 02:04 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,382,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post
bullied how?
Can't see how they 'bullied' him.

Old 07-20-2015, 02:42 AM

3,954 posts, read 2,573,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORION83 View Post
Yet if he had denied them service he would be in the wrong....stop playing a game....they paid,he accepted and he also believes marriage is one man and one woman....they throw fits and harass and bully him for his view....simple as that....
NO! Not so simple. They paid. He put the 'NOT WELCOME' sign up...like the Jim Crow signs. (jn The Past?? Geez!)

He was not wrong not for his view point but For USING his view point to target the couple's life style.

I would not patronize his business I think he owes the couple an apology for his Behavior.

Old 07-20-2015, 06:44 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,086,894 times
Contractual law.. take it to court

Or..
Move on

Old 07-20-2015, 07:24 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,525,824 times
The crazy women will probably be back with men within a year. What a waste of money to begin with.

Old 07-20-2015, 12:56 PM

1,850 posts, read 1,138,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinArmageddons View Post
Sorry, but purposefully alienating customers by putting up a sign like that is him shooting himself in the foot. The customers had every right to demand a refund for his bigotry.

True, putting up that banner was beyond foolish, but if a contract was signed, finished item was to customer satisfaction, the jeweler deserved full payment. That is called BUSINESS! Or that's how its done in the good ol USA.

A refund for his bigotry? Are you serious? You have any idea how hard it is to run a business these days?

Still wonder why everything we own is made in China?

Old 07-20-2015, 01:09 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,290,701 times
Just more evidence liberalism is a mental disorder.

Old 07-20-2015, 01:55 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,063,396 times
Ugh, exercise of freedom of speech. Unconnected to a deposit on custom goods ordered, manufactured and ready for pickup - a verbal contract entered into by two parties.
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
What was the point of the sign?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies