Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 06:27 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,463,404 times

Advertisements

A Newfoundland jeweller took a deposit from a lesbian couple to make their engagement rings.
Shortly afterwards he posted a sign in his store "The Sanctity of Marriage IS UNDER ATTACK; Help Keep Marriage Between Man & Woman"
The couple then asked for their money back even though the rings were ready to be picked up. The jeweller hadn't discriminated and believed he had held up his end of the contract. The Internet went nuts and he has since agreed to give back the deposit.

Owner Esau Jardon says those are his personal beliefs but he is does not believe gay marriage should be illegal:
"It [the sign] doesn’t even mention homosexuals or a specific group within that. It could talk about, for example, the sanctity of the traditional family. There are other forms of heterosexuals that are practising that (my family doesn’t) believe in, that we think the traditional form is the best way. For example, if people are cohabitating,"

Jeweller says he has been bullied, threatened - Local - The Telegram

Image of sign:
Jewelry store sign prompts same-sex couple to ask for refund - Newfoundland & Labrador - CBC News

Last edited by Ibginnie; 07-20-2015 at 08:19 AM.. Reason: copyright violation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2015, 07:30 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,697,144 times
They made him an offer he couldn't refuse.

Old 05-18-2015, 07:32 PM

364 posts, read 277,521 times
Tolerance. Obviously its only for those that think,act,believe,look like liberals.

Last edited by ORION83; 05-18-2015 at 08:03 PM..

Old 05-18-2015, 07:56 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,183,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORION83 View Post
Tolerance. Obviously its only for those that thing,act,believe,look like liberals.
Yep and if you disagree with them they will sue to shut you down.

Old 05-18-2015, 08:27 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
What was the point of the sign?

Old 05-18-2015, 09:04 PM

32,062 posts, read 15,058,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
A Newfoundland jeweller took a deposit from a lesbian couple to make their engagement rings.
Shortly afterwards he posted a sign in his store "The Sanctity of Marriage IS UNDER ATTACK; Help Keep Marriage Between Man & Woman"
The couple then asked for their money back even though the rings were ready to be picked up. The jeweller hadn't discriminated and believed he had held up his end of the contract. The Internet went nuts and he has since agreed to give back the deposit.

Owner Esau Jardon says those are his personal beliefs but he is does not believe gay marriage should be illegal:
"It [the sign] doesn’t even mention homosexuals or a specific group within that. It could talk about, for example, the sanctity of the traditional family. There are other forms of heterosexuals that are practising that (my family doesn’t) believe in, that we think the traditional form is the best way. For example, if people are cohabitating,"

Jeweller says he has been bullied, threatened - Local - The Telegram

Image of sign:
Jewelry store sign prompts same-sex couple to ask for refund - Newfoundland & Labrador - CBC News
Not sure why he would put up a sign like that. But if you are going to make a political statement then be prepared for the consequences.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 07-20-2015 at 08:20 AM.. Reason: edited quoted post

Old 05-18-2015, 09:06 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
I don't agree with him being bullied into giving back the money, but why the hell would he put up this sign?

I have a hell of a lot of personal and political opinions about the people I treat in my emergency department but I shut the hell up and am professional and do the best job I can for everyone. And believe me, many of these people are a lot worse IMO than a gay couple getting married.

Old 05-18-2015, 09:15 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,984,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I don't agree with him being bullied into giving back the money, but why the hell would he put up this sign?

I have a hell of a lot of personal and political opinions about the people I treat in my emergency department but I shut the hell up and am professional and do the best job I can for everyone. And believe me, many of these people are a lot worse IMO than a gay couple getting married.
If the jeweler making our rings started sharing anti-semitic opinions or aired his strong viewpoints against interfaith marriages, I for one would return said rings immediately. Preferably accompanied by a clear and concise description as to where he could put them.

If you deal in items with symbolic rather than just practical value, attitude effin' counts.

Old 05-18-2015, 09:19 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 22 days ago)

29,551 posts, read 16,539,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORION83 View Post
Tolerance. Obviously its only for those that think,act,believe,look like liberals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Yep and if you disagree with them they will sue to shut you down.
Actually, what happened here is that he voiced his opinion and the couple voiced theirs, all they wanted to do was take their business else where, is that not what you conservatives have always wanted ?????

Old 05-18-2015, 09:25 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,855,397 times
bullied how?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies