Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2015, 10:54 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times

Advertisements

Now many were killed in the Saint Valentines massacre in Chicago? Surely in time citizens will demand the same type crackdown seeing those numbers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2015, 01:33 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times
Chicago passed 1000 shootings for 2015, 2 weeks ago.

Old 06-16-2015, 03:05 AM

6,205 posts, read 7,456,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HecateWhisperCat~ View Post
Why is the murder rate in New York City which has very strict gun control laws lower then? Why is the murder rate in Arizona higher than it is in New Hampshire? Murder rates have nothing to do with gun control laws or lack of them, but are a direct reflection of poverty and the quality of policing. This is why some states with strict laws have high murder rates, and others have lower murder rates. It's also why some states with permissive rules for gun ownership have low murder rates, and others have higher murder rates. The left needs to stop thinking that implementing strict gun control laws is going to reduce mass shootings and lower crime. The right needs to stop thinking that everyone owning a gun is going to make each person into Dirty Harry.
Do you feel lucky today, punx?
Go ahead, make my day!

Old 06-16-2015, 05:04 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
The obvious reality is gun control laws disarm citizens and are ignored by the criminals.

I prefer that all these laws, starting with the 1934 Federal law, be rescinded. I consider these laws am impediment to allowing citizens to defend themselves. Individuals need to take the responsibility of defending themselves from criminal assault as the police simply can and will not.

As far as I am concerned I have a fundamental right to be armed any time and any place I have a right to be. That includes police stations, political rallies and private stores and restaurants. None of these places are willing to defend me so I have to have the tools I may need to defend myself.

IMHO - Gun Control is simply the awareness of a threat and the judgment to select a legitimate target and hit it with the first shot.

FWIW - The 49 people shot in Chicago were probably killed in turf wars over criminal business and the Texas incident was a bunch of "biker" gangs fighting each other. Good riddance to the victims. They probably were no great loss anyway.

Old 06-16-2015, 05:07 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,104,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
Remember how Obama said that Chicago is a "blueprint for national gun laws"? Can the liberals let us all know how that gun control is working out?

Oh, and let us know how many people were shot in "trigger happy" Texas last weekend.

49 people shot in Chicago over weekend: 'Whole bunch of shots' - Chicago Tribune
If you don;t live there, why should you care? Oh, it's illinois.

Logic dictates that if you don't live there, then don't move there, easy peasy. If you do live there, move out of the state, since it bothers you so much. Again, easy peasy.

On to the next silly thread.

Old 06-16-2015, 08:56 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times
This whole "gun laws" thing regarding Chicago is completely ignoring the reality of the situation.

It's gang bangers who have illegal guns shooting at gang bangers who also have illegal guns. They didn't lawfully purchase them, they aren't getting permits from anyone. They're young thugs who find ways to get a gun and then use them on other thugs who also found ways to get guns.

They couldn't care less about any sort of permits, laws or regulations regarding guns. Chicago tried to clamp down to restrict the availability of guns and to get the guns out of the hands of these criminals. This has nothing to do with random law abiding citizens who want to get permits and own guns.

People who try to cry and scream about Chicago's gun violence and their strict laws actually make me embarrassed, because they obviously sound like fools to anyone who knows the reality of the situation.

If you want to talk gun laws and regulations that's one thing, but what's going on in those isolated ghettos in Chicago is a different monster. You can't just sit there and draw a simple line of comparison. You can make the gun laws as restrictive or as easy as possible and none of these gangbangers will even pay attention.

Old 06-16-2015, 08:59 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,104,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
This whole "gun laws" thing regarding Chicago is completely ignoring the reality of the situation.

It's gang bangers who have illegal guns shooting at gang bangers who also have illegal guns. They didn't lawfully purchase them, they aren't getting permits from anyone. They're young thugs who find ways to get a gun and then use them on other thugs who also found ways to get guns.

They couldn't care less about any sort of permits, laws or regulations regarding guns. Chicago tried to clamp down to restrict the availability of guns and to get the guns out of the hands of these criminals. This has nothing to do with random law abiding citizens who want to get permits and own guns.

People who try to cry and scream about Chicago's gun violence and their strict laws actually make me embarrassed, because they obviously sound like fools to anyone who knows the reality of the situation.

Yes, but since when did any of these people rely on reality when posting their anti-gun law screed?

Old 06-17-2015, 06:36 PM

72,979 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Yes, but since when did any of these people rely on reality when posting their anti-gun law screed?
True.

Criminals don't obey laws. Trying to restrict gun access has never stopped criminals. Why? Because criminals aren't thinking about the law. if they're about to murder someone, how are said persons going to think about the law in terms of getting a firearm?

Old 06-17-2015, 06:54 PM

72,979 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post

If you want to talk gun laws and regulations that's one thing, but what's going on in those isolated ghettos in Chicago is a different monster. You can't just sit there and draw a simple line of comparison. You can make the gun laws as restrictive or as easy as possible and none of these gangbangers will even pay attention.
There is something more I want to add. So many people are pointing to Chicago. Baltimore is a city to look at. In Maryland strict gun control legislation has been passed. Baltimore is one of the most murderous cities in the nation, the top 5 for cities of 250,000+ residents. New Jersey has strict gun laws. Newark has a murder rate higher than Chicago.

One thing to consider is this. Chicago's gun laws are strict, but Chicago gun laws are different from Illinois gun laws. Maryland and New Jersey, on the other hand, have stricter gun laws. However, Maryland has one of the highest murder rates among U.S. states. Stricter gun laws have not done any good. In New Jersey, it is next to impossible to legally transport a gun into the state without permission from the police. Gun permits from other states are not recognized in New Jersey. It doesn't stop Newark from being such a violent city, with a murder rate worse than Chicago's.

Newark had nation's third highest murder rate in 2013, FBI says | NJ.com

Newark, in 2013, had a murder rate of 40 murders per 100,000. Compare this to Chicago's 18 murders per 100,000. I live in the Atlanta suburbs. Atlanta proper had a murder rate of 20 murders per 100,000, somewhat higher than Chicago.

Old 06-17-2015, 06:57 PM

171 posts, read 180,980 times
Texas and Chicago may not have much in common but I bet the people involved in most of the shootings/murders in both places had one thing in common.........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies