U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 05-21-2015, 07:10 PM
 
48,516 posts, read 83,758,908 times
Reputation: 18042

Advertisements

Some cultures have always succeeded more than others. Asians seem to follow the course of next generation achieving higher education level seen so commonly in the past in others. As always you can lead a cow to water but you can't make it drink. That is all society as a whole can do.

 
Old 05-21-2015, 07:13 PM
 
131 posts, read 98,968 times
Reputation: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
If I were black I would cringe at the mention of "black inventors". Even as a white guy I feel a little embarassed for all the blacks who have been duped into believing that their people invented elevators, traffic lights, fountain pens, etc.. Every single claim is nonsense.

https://www.toqonline.com/blog/black-invention-myths/
You guys get so insecure whenever black people succeed.

George Carruthers created the ultraviolet camera, which was used by Apollo 16 to obtain images in space and was awarded the National Medal of Technology and Innovation in 2012. Lewis Latimer was inducted into the National Inventors Hall of Fame for his carbon filament lightbulb. These are a few of the many, sorry to disappoint you.
 
Old 05-21-2015, 07:16 PM
 
131 posts, read 98,968 times
Reputation: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C. Ogilvy View Post
Why is skin color relevant when talking about an inventor? Do y'all have some kind of inferiority complex that makes you say "That inventor was black, his contribution makes us look good"? I certainly don't go around saying "Thomas Edison was white, yay white race!"
Judging from your post, it's clear you're the one with an inferiority complex, not me.
 
Old 05-21-2015, 07:49 PM
 
231 posts, read 131,691 times
Reputation: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlackAmerican View Post
You guys get so insecure whenever black people succeed.

George Carruthers created the ultraviolet camera, which was used by Apollo 16 to obtain images in space and was awarded the National Medal of Technology and Innovation in 2012..
I think you mean that George Carruthers invented *an* ultraviolet camera, since UV images have been around for quite a while before that. Still a non-trivial feat.
 
Old 05-22-2015, 05:40 AM
 
4,015 posts, read 5,053,746 times
Reputation: 3897
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Complete bull.

What's bull about it?

Do you disagree that if you have 2 candidates for a job, one named Shaniqua and one named Michele, that there's not going to be some preconceived notion of each?
 
Old 05-22-2015, 07:06 AM
 
Location: Upstate NY
35,220 posts, read 10,410,882 times
Reputation: 33163
Quote:
Originally Posted by zachlooter View Post
Duke Professor Defends Comments Comparing Blacks, Asians - ABC News

Updated: James B. Duke Professor Jerry Hough makes controversial comment on New York Times editorial | The Chronicle

Basically, this professor stated that asians have faced a lot of discrimination too, but have succeeded in society because they worked doubly hard and don't feel sorry for themselves.

What do you all think?

What I think is that it's refreshing to see someone defend his remarks and stand by them rather than issue a hasty "apology" because they were offensive to some.
 
Old 05-22-2015, 07:08 AM
 
15,337 posts, read 7,837,579 times
Reputation: 7954
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
What's bull about it?

Do you disagree that if you have 2 candidates for a job, one named Shaniqua and one named Michele, that there's not going to be some preconceived notion of each?
The bull, especially about your post is that there are hundreds of thousands of black Michele's lol!

Michele/Michelle is a VERY popular "black" name. Shaniqua is not. I am black and have never met a Shaniqua but I know (let me count)....8 Michele/Michelle's off the top of my head.

The idea that you and others think that all black people have some made up name is the BS. My mom was 17 when I was born. She was 16 when my older brother was born. We both have very common names. My younger 2 brothers have very common names. My mom has a very common name.

And if someone thinks that a Shaniqua is better than a Michele just based on name, then something is wrong with them. I have had employees who did have made up "black" names and they were very good employees. I also remember criticizing one of my co-workers who was lambasting a young lady who was coming in for an interview due to her name. I told him her name had no bearing on her ability and he shouldn't prejudice himself against her prior to her arrival. (He thought she wouldn't know how to speak properly and that she would have a "tattoo on her neck"). Turned out she was a social worker with an MSW who was looking for part time work to save some money. She was very pleasant, had excellent references and didn't post crazy social media pictures (we always looked people up on Facebook and others prior to hiring them). So we hired her. And FWIW, my prejudicial co-worker was a black man. So like I have said before, plenty of black people are also prejudicial against other black people. Oh, he had a regular old name too.
 
Old 05-22-2015, 07:14 AM
 
4,015 posts, read 5,053,746 times
Reputation: 3897
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
The bull, especially about your post is that there are hundreds of thousands of black Michele's lol!

Michele/Michelle is a VERY popular "black" name. Shaniqua is not. I am black and have never met a Shaniqua but I know (let me count)....8 Michele/Michelle's off the top of my head.

The idea that you and others think that all black people have some made up name is the BS. My mom was 17 when I was born. She was 16 when my older brother was born. We both have very common names. My younger 2 brothers have very common names. My mom has a very common name.

And if someone thinks that a Shaniqua is better than a Michele just based on name, then something is wrong with them. I have had employees who did have made up "black" names and they were very good employees. I also remember criticizing one of my co-workers who was lambasting a young lady who was coming in for an interview due to her name. I told him her name had no bearing on her ability and he shouldn't prejudice himself against her prior to her arrival. (He thought she wouldn't know how to speak properly and that she would have a "tattoo on her neck"). Turned out she was a social worker with an MSW who was looking for part time work to save some money. She was very pleasant, had excellent references and didn't post crazy social media pictures (we always looked people up on Facebook and others prior to hiring them). So we hired her. And FWIW, my prejudicial co-worker was a black man. So like I have said before, plenty of black people are also prejudicial against other black people. Oh, he had a regular old name too.

Wow.... you completely missed my point! Which was, naming your kid something unique like Shaniqua, Afrika, or whatever sounds 'ghetto', you're not doing them any favors.

The fact that your mom had your brother at 16 and you at 17, well....that's a whole other conversation.
 
Old 05-22-2015, 07:18 AM
 
15,337 posts, read 7,837,579 times
Reputation: 7954
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C. Ogilvy View Post
Is it OK for a Black or Hispanic professor to have a negative View of a White student?
Why would that be okay?

I know you may want to post the crazy black professor lady who wanted to kill all white men, she is freaking crazy and is in the same club as this Duke professor. IMO both should be fired as educators.

What's funny is, I heard (will not confirm) that the black lady did lose her job. This Duke professor hasn't and more than likely won't.

I will say though that the many stupid racial incidents at mainstream colleges make me hope that my kids choose HBCUs. Especially in the case of Duke, if their professors are going to paint all the black students as being dumb, not motivated, and having made up names, then I doubt their objectivity in regards to grading projects, papers, and presentations on subjects that they may not think is appropriate.
 
Old 05-22-2015, 08:05 AM
 
15,337 posts, read 7,837,579 times
Reputation: 7954
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
Wow.... you completely missed my point! Which was, naming your kid something unique like Shaniqua, Afrika, or whatever sounds 'ghetto', you're not doing them any favors.

The fact that your mom had your brother at 16 and you at 17, well....that's a whole other conversation.
Naming a child "Trig" or "Trip" is better?? Or naming your son "Mary" or your daughter "Elliot?"

And I brought up my mom's age at the time I was born because another poster mentioned that 'black teen moms" name their kids "made up" names.

My mom was a teen mom (and FWIW, I don't see that as a negative, my mom is one of the hardest working persons I know, she had to drop out of school, she was on welfare for a few years, she drove into my brother and I that we should NEVER get on public assistance - and we haven't - she went back to school, worked factor jobs for 12 years - finished her degree and is a successful business owner - she owns a 24 hour daycare facility and personally makes over $75K per year now so I am very proud of her. And FWIW my younger brothers were born after she got married when she was 26).

She didn't name us made up "unique" names.

None of her granchildren have made up "unique" names either and she has 10 grandchildren now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:18 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top