Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 10:38 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,411,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
I guess you totally missed the part about sickness resulting in not being able to work, not being able to work means no health insurance, no health insurance means the poor sucker is gonna wait fup to 24 months for his/her treatment until some other avenue is found.

Now what about that scenario shows a lack of personal responsibility?
I have personally planned in the event I am not able to work. I have availed myself of disability insurance. I do not expect the government to take care of me unless I meet the criteria for social security disability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2015, 10:39 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,411,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
As I already posted, she can apply for SSDI but she will not get medicare for two years. Social Services won't help her, Florida did not opt in to expanded medicaid, so for her to get subsidized health care she has to be working and earning at least 100% of the poverty level. In Florida adults without children do not receive ANY financial assistance with health care.
Did she never have an option to buy disability coverage?

Old 05-22-2015, 12:07 AM

11,159 posts, read 7,959,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post

The point being?

Old 05-22-2015, 12:17 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Lol...Canada...has 3 times fewer ct scanners and almost five times fewer MRI machines per one million people...how fast do you think your care will happen? It will be a numbers game, for sure.

Old 05-22-2015, 12:23 AM

6,104 posts, read 5,989,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
As I stated.. She has a spinal tumor that can't be removed and she was deemed permanently disabled and given SSDI, but she had to wait the two years to get Medicare. We even spoke to an advocate/ lawyer who specializes in SS and he said that there wasn't anything she could do but buy health insurance with part of her SS. In any case I don't believe that the person in questions illness would qualify them for immediate acceptance into Medicare... Sadly.

With disability the question of the extent of disability comes up. For example does she have function in her lower and upper body can she stand, walk or does she need a wheel chair to get around? Is she able to transfer herself from this chair or does she need the use of a lift to be transferred to a chair, bed or toilet? The same can be said about dexterity can she feed herself, use a keyboard, write with a pen or grip things? All of this leads to a determination of whether a person needs skilled (expensive) care and whether immediate admission to Medicare is necessary and that 24 month or 18 month waiting period would be life threatening if care was unavailable. What is sad, is it doesn't take cancer, or some other disease to rob one of ones ability to live independently.It could come in the blink of an eye on one of our deteriorating expressways, riding one of your nation's capital's subways or getting in the way of one of our armed crazy people. A life ruined just like that.

Old 05-22-2015, 08:49 AM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
With disability the question of the extent of disability comes up. For example does she have function in her lower and upper body can she stand, walk or does she need a wheel chair to get around? Is she able to transfer herself from this chair or does she need the use of a lift to be transferred to a chair, bed or toilet? The same can be said about dexterity can she feed herself, use a keyboard, write with a pen or grip things? All of this leads to a determination of whether a person needs skilled (expensive) care and whether immediate admission to Medicare is necessary and that 24 month or 18 month waiting period would be life threatening if care was unavailable. What is sad, is it doesn't take cancer, or some other disease to rob one of ones ability to live independently.It could come in the blink of an eye on one of our deteriorating expressways, riding one of your nation's capital's subways or getting in the way of one of our armed crazy people. A life ruined just like that.
wrong, there are only two conditions that create an exception to the 24 month rule:

End-stage renal disease (ESRD) with kidney failure. If you require ongoing dialysis or a kidney transplant, Medicare coverage can begin the third month after the month in which your dialysis began.

Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS). Individuals with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) qualify for Medicare as soon as they are eligible to receive disability benefit payments.

Old 05-22-2015, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
Yes, it appears she did- but I'm sure if you were interested you could have looked up the benefits for a firefighter in Pasco County Florida just like I did. But that's not why you posed the question and we both know it. You just want to take this opportunity to once again remind us that everything that happens to an individual is their own fault and we have no responsibility to help them.

Old 05-22-2015, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Lol...Canada...has 3 times fewer ct scanners and almost five times fewer MRI machines per one million people...how fast do you think your care will happen? It will be a numbers game, for sure.
Ask someone from Canada instead of speculating. I have a few friends who live in Canada and they love their health program.

Old 05-22-2015, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron60 View Post
The firefighter can buy a policy in the open market (premiums vary on age) Pre existing conditions can not disqualify her from buying a policy.

If her estimated income is below 400% of the poverty she can buy an Obamacare plan with a major insurance company and receive a subsidy to reduce premiums and possibly out of pock costs. These plan are good in most cases. She will qualify for these plans even though open enrollment has ended because loosing her job is a life changing event which qualifies her.

Florida has not offered Medicaid expansion so she is not eligible for it which would carry the lowest costs.
She can't get a subsidy through the ACA without an income, she needs to be earning at least 100% of the poverty level to be eligible to buy health insurance in Florida because their pinhead governor would not opt into expanded medicaid. In states like that there are ZERO options for healthcare for adults without children.

Old 05-22-2015, 09:06 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,819,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
As I already posted, she can apply for SSDI but she will not get medicare for two years. Social Services won't help her, Florida did not opt in to expanded medicaid, so for her to get subsidized health care she has to be working and earning at least 100% of the poverty level. In Florida adults without children do not receive ANY financial assistance with health care.
Just wanted to note that Medicaid is available almost immediately (usually a 30 day window) for anyone approved for SSDI.

It is a program specifically for low income children and families and the disabled.

A very good friend of mine who died a couple years ago of colon cancer was forced to stop working due to illness and got Medicaid. She received excellent care since she was diagnosed at a very late stage. But she lived for 6 years after diagnosis.

Medicaid - Florida DCF

From the link:

Quote:
DCF determines Medicaid eligibility for:
  • Parents and caretakers relatives of children
  • Children
  • Pregnant women
  • Former Foster Care Individuals
  • Non-citizens with medical emergencies
  • Aged or disabled individuals not currently receiving Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
I added bold for reference.

I am highlighting this because Medicaid is a federal program and has similar requirements in every state. Practically anyone who applies and receives SSDI (please note that this can take a long time) will be eligible for Medicaid.

ETA: Medicare and Medicaid are not the same thing. Medicare is what persons receiving SSI get. They can also get Medicaid through another application process and they meet the criteria. Many of the elderly in nursing homes have both Medicaid and Medicare. Medicare pays for their medical care and Medicaid pays for the nursing facility for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies