Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 06:12 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,392,840 times

Advertisements

Saw this article, a firefighter with cancer, can't work anymore and lost medical coverage because. I don't know all the laws or options available so I am asking. Because this could be any of us. Most of work and that gets us insurance, but what happens when you can't work to pay for coverage?

Does "Obamacare" come into play with this? Will she continue to get treatment? What exactly are the federal and various state laws on this? What do you do when you are faced with massive amounts of medical debt, with no way to no longer earn a income to pay for insurance? Most people don't have hundreds of thousands of dollars saved to pay for treatment.

Local firefighter battling cancer, no medical benefits
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 06:22 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,121,382 times
That's where people in Canada, France, or the UK are ahead. Their medical expenses are free.

Old 05-19-2015, 06:26 PM

39,226 posts, read 27,597,823 times
Pretty sad story really.

Well, my ex was diagnosed three years ago, and he went through 2 rounds of chemotherapy. When he was diagnosed, he was only 35. He is 9 years older than me.

He was and is still a software engineer. He could have quit his job, but without medical insurance, quitting the job is not an option. I don't know exactly how much money he has saved, but I know for a fact that he had at least $1 million dollars saved, he also had stock options and two houses worth 3 million dollars from inheritance.

He worked everyday while on chemotherapy because he desperately wanted to save his insurance coverage.

Quite honestly, at age of 35 (at the time he was diagnosed), quitting the job without a medical insurance was not an option for him. He received his treatment from Cedars-Sinai medical center.

I guess there are other options, like COBRA or a HIPAA plan.

Old 05-19-2015, 06:27 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,886,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
That's where people in Canada, France, or the UK are ahead. Their medical expenses are free.
The doctors do not get paid? They work for free?

Old 05-19-2015, 06:29 PM

45,223 posts, read 26,437,203 times
Quote:
The people of Canada,France and the UK arent being taxed for medical expenses?

Old 05-19-2015, 06:29 PM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,978,232 times
From the article:
Quote:
“It’s caused a huge depression,” she said.
ACA 2010 and Ted's HMO Act of 1973 will probably want to treat that before considering the cancer. There might have been money to treat the cancer afterward depending on how much her depression treatment will cost.

Old 05-19-2015, 06:32 PM

231 posts, read 171,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Pretty sad story really.

Well, my ex was diagnosed three years ago, and he went through 2 rounds of chemotherapy. When he was diagnosed, he was only 35. He is 9 years older than me.

He was and is still a software engineer. He could have quit his job, but without medical insurance, quitting the job is not an option. I don't know exactly how much money he has saved, but I know for a fact that he had at least $1 million dollars saved, he also had stock options and two houses worth 3 million dollars from inheritance.

He worked everyday while on chemotherapy because he desperately wanted to save his insurance coverage.

Quite honestly, at age of 35 (at the time he was diagnosed), quitting the job without a medical insurance was not an option for him. He received his treatment from Cedars-Sinai medical center.

I guess there are other options, like COBRA or a HIPAA plan.
That's an interesting conundrum.

. He obviously could get COBRA, but I believe that an ACA plan implies that you have to run out COBRA before you sign up for it.

. Dunno how good ACA plans (even the Platinum Diamond variety) are.

. Should someone with 4+ million dollars in assets be expected to pay for their own health care. I expect that most people would say 'yes'.

Old 05-19-2015, 06:34 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
if he qualifies for disability, then he can also get on medicare.

Old 05-19-2015, 06:34 PM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,978,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Notaras View Post
Should someone with 4+ million dollars in assets be expected to pay for their own health care. I expect that most people would say 'yes'.
Isn't that what rainy day funds are for?

Am I being forced to contribute to increasingly-inflated comprehensive 'health' insurance plans every April at the muzzle of state firepower so that other people can use pent up assets for only fun stuff?

Old 05-19-2015, 06:35 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,220,557 times
Quote:
No it's not free. The exorbitant taxes that are paid by the Canadians fund those programs with sin taxes on alcohol and tobacco.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies