U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 09:12 AM

31,116 posts, read 13,636,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post

It always drives me nuts when I see comments like this. Nothing is free on any level. The supplies/equipment and the people that use them to treat patients are not free, nor are the utilities to run the facilities.

As to the question, most people who are in the boat of not being able to work to provide insurance any longer will just go to a local county hospital and be treated.
Unlike a private hospital, they must treat patients regardless of the ability to pay or not. So despite this liberal fabrication of people dragging around broken legs that were never treated, or dying in the street, people can get treatment and never pay a dime. The taxpayers pick up the tab along with insurance covering the costs out of what their premiums are from insured members.
there are almost NO county hospitals left in the US, and even where there are, they are not legally obligated to provide anything other than emergency care. If she had a broken leg she could go the the ER, but cancer isn't an emergency.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2015, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Just wanted to note that Medicaid is available almost immediately (usually a 30 day window) for anyone approved for SSDI.

It is a program specifically for low income children and families and the disabled.

A very good friend of mine who died a couple years ago of colon cancer was forced to stop working due to illness and got Medicaid. She received excellent care since she was diagnosed at a very late stage. But she lived for 6 years after diagnosis.

Medicaid - Florida DCF

From the link:

I added bold for reference.

I am highlighting this because Medicaid is a federal program and has similar requirements in every state. Practically anyone who applies and receives SSDI (please note that this can take a long time) will be eligible for Medicaid.

ETA: Medicare and Medicaid are not the same thing. Medicare is what persons receiving SSI get. They can also get Medicaid through another application process and they meet the criteria. Many of the elderly in nursing homes have both Medicaid and Medicare. Medicare pays for their medical care and Medicaid pays for the nursing facility for them.

True, and that's a good point but- medicaid is not the same as medicare, most medicaid plans have strict limits on which doctors you can see and which services you can receive- but it's better than nothing. However, you must qualify for SSI, not SSDI. SSI is resource based, there is a $2,000 resource limit to qualify for it. Here is what is allowed:
SSI Spotlight on Resources

So, it's possible that she would be required to liquidate her assets before she could qualify, and that might include money she has vested in a retirement system, 401k deposits etc. It's just sad to see a person have to liquidate every asset they own to get medical care, isn't it?

Old 05-22-2015, 11:13 AM

271 posts, read 315,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post

So, it's possible that she would be required to liquidate her assets before she could qualify, and that might include money she has vested in a retirement system, 401k deposits etc. It's just sad to see a person have to liquidate every asset they own to get medical care, isn't it?
She can take $11670 out of her 401k and that is income. It will qualify her for an ACA plan for a very small monthly premium.

Old 05-22-2015, 11:43 AM

2,993 posts, read 1,219,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
I guess you totally missed the part about sickness resulting in not being able to work, not being able to work means no health insurance, no health insurance means the poor sucker is gonna wait fup to 24 months for his/her treatment until some other avenue is found.

Now what about that scenario shows a lack of personal responsibility?
She could have been covered by COBRA for 18 months and isn't there a disability extension.

Old 05-22-2015, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1954 View Post
She could have been covered by COBRA for 18 months and isn't there a disability extension.
how would she afford the premiums without a job?

Old 05-22-2015, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron60 View Post
She can take $11670 out of her 401k and that is income. It will qualify her for an ACA plan for a very small monthly premium.
Interesting..I guess that would work if she has a 401k, I have no idea if she does, the only thing I was able to ascertain is that she is covered by the Florida Retirement System which has a defined benefit pension plan. As I said earlier, it appears that she is eligible for an early non service related disability which would also provide a limited health care supplement. I'm not sure why she didn't explore that option

Old 05-22-2015, 12:08 PM

271 posts, read 315,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Interesting..I guess that would work if she has a 401k, I have no idea if she does, the only thing I was able to ascertain is that she is covered by the Florida Retirement System which has a defined benefit pension plan. As I said earlier, it appears that she is eligible for an early non service related disability which would also provide a limited health care supplement. I'm not sure why she didn't explore that option
Many people are not aware of the tax laws.

A withdrawal from a tax deferred account such as a 401k or IRA is taxable income. If the proceeds are converted to a Roth account there is no 10% penalty only income tax of $200 for the year. Selling stocks at a profit in a taxable account is a capital gain which is income. No income tax due. Not sure about her pension plan but a early withdrawal may possibly be taxable income.

In any case taxable income for one person of 12k or less will buy the 2nd lowest silver plan and a low deductible for less than $600 a year.

If she has any money in savings she can buy a plan outside of Obamacare which at 40 years old may be $400 a month or so.

Old 05-22-2015, 12:15 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,999,418 times
Social security disability( if it applies) and Medicaid. I'd think he will have a pension perhaps a disabiilty pension with 15 years vested.Then are other programs like food stamps and housing. Hopefully she thought about insurance just in case of such a event which happens all the time. I've know several myself over the years; some returned to work and other didn't or died in the end.

Old 05-24-2015, 07:41 PM

6,968 posts, read 5,425,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
Really? Where does personal responsibility come into play? The government is not our mommy and daddy.
Really? What is your solution to a seriously ill person who cannot pay for his/her medical care? All the shoulda, woulda, coulda lectures are not going to make them better, so don't waste your breath. So, what do we do with people who will die without proper (sometimes, continuing) medical care, but cannot pay for it?

Old 05-24-2015, 08:03 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,417,537 times
400 proven cancer treatments are at cancer-tutor.com/ Many don't cost much. Some are illegal and/or not approved by AMA, etc. They may recommend 24 hour phone/e-mail support from foreign doctor. They have treatments rated as best by type & stage of cancer. The site was started by Bill Henderson, who lost his wife to cancer, so he vowed to spend the rest of his life fighting cancer. Advice comes from hundreds of Docs & patients around world as to what worked for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Saw this article, a firefighter with cancer, can't work anymore and lost medical coverage because. I don't know all the laws or options available so I am asking. Because this could be any of us. Most of work and that gets us insurance, but what happens when you can't work to pay for coverage?

Does "Obamacare" come into play with this? Will she continue to get treatment? What exactly are the federal and various state laws on this? What do you do when you are faced with massive amounts of medical debt, with no way to no longer earn a income to pay for insurance? Most people don't have hundreds of thousands of dollars saved to pay for treatment.

Local firefighter battling cancer, no medical benefits
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or