U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 03:05 AM

88 posts, read 137,452 times

Advertisements

Whogo, Glad you are healthy but is it really nice to gloat?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2015, 04:13 AM

41,492 posts, read 51,406,502 times
Most of the cheapskates in this country would simply as the OP to die quickly so they do not cost the rest of us any money. That works until the cheapskates get a long term illness.

Old 05-26-2015, 08:37 AM

13,598 posts, read 7,429,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
Your thread title is misleading. First, I would be shocked to know that a firefighter did not opt for disability insurance. Second, if this person is disabled from working, he or she needs to file a claim with the social security administration. Third, speak to social worker at the Department of Human Services instead of asking strangers on the internet.
Not to mention this woman was a Fire Station Captain. The salary for a Captain is in the mid $60's and I would be surprised that anyone in such a position would not obtain disability insurance. She also would qualify for 18 months of COBRA. This is not a McDonald's cashier who had no options.

Old 05-26-2015, 08:59 AM

6,967 posts, read 5,424,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron60 View Post
If they need help my vote is they should get it.
I do not have the solution as to where the money to pay for it comes from.
What do you suggest?
Politicians do things for power and money. I would like to know how we can change this.
Maybe you should ask the people why they vote for politicians that are against their own best interests.
I don't like having to pay for people who have made irresponsible decisions, but I agree with you that they should be helped. The money, of course, will come from those of us who have incomes - via federal dollars, be they from taxes, single payer insurance premiums, or some other as yet unnamed method. IMO, there is no other option. The US is the most powerful first world nation in the world, it is simply unacceptable that its citizens die for lack of medical care.

On the other hand, a few dead Americans due lack of insurance, would be a great motivator to purchase insurance for those who are currently thumbing their noses at the ACA (and to the states that are not allowing Medicaid expansion)....

Old 05-26-2015, 09:28 AM

45,910 posts, read 34,085,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kataisa View Post
But how's the quality of this 'free' care? I'm constantly reading about these people coming to the US because of our superior medical care.
A McKinsey study report in 2008 ( most recent) concluded that 60-85,000 enter the U.S. for the sole purpose of medical treatment. They typically pay cash. Conversely, 750,000 U.S. people seek medical treatment outside the U.S.

Old 05-26-2015, 09:35 AM

45,910 posts, read 34,085,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
You are correct. There is NO safety net for a no income, sick person in Florida, thanks to our dysfunctional governor and do nothing legislature.
Elected by a majority of voters.......

Old 05-26-2015, 09:55 AM

18,296 posts, read 10,386,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodymoose77 View Post
Its not free- The taxes are ridiculously high!!!

Canadians’ income tax burden lower than many other OECD nations | CTV News

Canada vs. U.S. middle class: What the New York Times missed - Canada - CBC News

Old 05-26-2015, 10:02 AM

13,598 posts, read 7,429,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
A McKinsey study report in 2008 ( most recent) concluded that 60-85,000 enter the U.S. for the sole purpose of medical treatment. They typically pay cash. Conversely, 750,000 U.S. people seek medical treatment outside the U.S.
What would be more interesting would be the breakdown of actual medical treatments that were sought here as well as overseas? What percentage of those 750k were cosmetic procedures? I am not discounting the fact that many do seek care overseas for cancer, etc. A few celebrities (the names do not come to mind) have recently been known to travel to Europe for cancer treatments.

Old 05-26-2015, 10:12 AM

14,228 posts, read 11,647,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Saw this article, a firefighter with cancer, can't work anymore and lost medical coverage because. I don't know all the laws or options available so I am asking. Because this could be any of us. Most of work and that gets us insurance, but what happens when you can't work to pay for coverage?

Does "Obamacare" come into play with this? Will she continue to get treatment? What exactly are the federal and various state laws on this? What do you do when you are faced with massive amounts of medical debt, with no way to no longer earn a income to pay for insurance? Most people don't have hundreds of thousands of dollars saved to pay for treatment.

Local firefighter battling cancer, no medical benefits
This happened to me, in November 2013. An old, severe injury (crushed tib/fib) had degenerated with a bone infection, caused by old, stainless, hardware.Knowing I was fast approaching disability status, the company I was working for found a way to get rid of me, and shortly thereafter, the leg collapsed, landing me in the hospital with a life threatening infection, with permanent, disabling results.

I had heard all the horror stories about applying for SSDI, and Medicaid benefits. I figured I was a goner. It was the only option I had though. I didn't feel good about it, but,I had been paying into these systems for 35 years, working bard, physical nobs on a crippled leg, when , if I were a different person, I could have been on the system from the get go, without 35 years of paying in under my belt, so, I did what I had to do to survive.

I was in the hospital for 2 months. I applied a week after being admitted. The medical coverage came through in less than a week, and my SSDI benefits came through the week before I was released, and started paying the following month. Nobody, including me, could believe the system could work that fast. But...it did. As it turns out, what jump started things was the team of doctors treating me. Each of them wrote detailed reports and affidavits regarding my condition, with detailed diagnostics and prognosis. Neither of which were exactly a glowing prediction of full recovery and return to robust health.

With all the , professionally compiled, I formation and evidence, neither SS, or Medicaid put IP any kind of fuss. I was done. Down and out. So, since this case seems so similar, with an undeniable prognosis of her condition, and reams of medical documentation to back it all up, I would hope she could get the same consideration I did. This is , I thought, the type of situation the system was designed for. Contributing citizens, in genuine need of help.

Truly, I didn't think I had a chance, with all I had seen and heard about how things work. So many people, with NOTHING , actually wrong with them, have pushed people like this fire fighter , to the back of the line. Nobody on here can deny how the system gets milked, and what the results of that have been. From what I have seen, people who have contributed to this system, all their lives, a d worked hard, have far more hoops to jump through than worthless, never worked an honest day, types. Why? Because the worthless ones calf out a slew of kids, and use them to harvest benefits. They can, and do, live, quite comfortably, riding the coat tails of their kids, while people like this fire fighter are denied anything.

I would think, however, that if her medical team is competing, and actually cares about her fate, they could help her, the same way mine helped me. It seems,(it was in my case anyway) that the word of medical professionals in concensus, carries enough weight to make the wheels turn, when they need to, and get people who really need it, the help that's available.

Old 05-26-2015, 03:52 PM

6,967 posts, read 5,424,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Elected by a majority of voters.......
Yes - sad, isn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or