U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 10:02 PM

302 posts, read 369,836 times

Advertisements

In 2010 I lost my job and my insurance. No savings as I worked paycheck to paycheck. No way I could afford COBRA. I had (and still have) several serious medical conditions. I had to go off all my meds cold turkey. I became very, very ill, and was approved for SSDI immediately. However, you have to be on SSDI for two years before you are eligible for Medicare.

l don't remember most of those two years, except that it was very scary. And I was VERY lucky that I made it through that time. I now have Medicare and Medicaid, and I am receiving appropriate treatments and meds. I am one of the lucky ones. I survived, but I know there are many that don't. It's just wrong all the way around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 10:12 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,011,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Saw this article, a firefighter with cancer, can't work anymore and lost medical coverage because. I don't know all the laws or options available so I am asking. Because this could be any of us. Most of work and that gets us insurance, but what happens when you can't work to pay for coverage?

Does "Obamacare" come into play with this? Will she continue to get treatment? What exactly are the federal and various state laws on this? What do you do when you are faced with massive amounts of medical debt, with no way to no longer earn a income to pay for insurance? Most people don't have hundreds of thousands of dollars saved to pay for treatment.

Local firefighter battling cancer, no medical benefits
This exact thing happened recently to my sister. She stayed on her job's medical until they fired her for "attendance" then went Cobra. By the time that was close to expiring, Social Security had fast-tracked her request for SSD and she was immediately put on disability and Medicare. There was no interruption to her doctors or chemotherapy. They even paid to have someone come to her apartment and help her.

Old 05-19-2015, 10:26 PM

10,128 posts, read 12,376,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
That's where people in Canada, France, or the UK are ahead. Their medical expenses are free.
Absolutely correct!

In France their payroll tax rate is 66% compared to the USA rate of 15.3%.

We could do the same thing, all we need to do is double the payroll tax for both employer and employee and we too could have free stuff given to us.

If you earn $1,000/week your portion of the payroll tax is $153.

If we were to raise your portion to 33% your portion would be $330 an incrase of $177/week for $766.41/month and for $766.41/month you to could enjoy free health care!

By raising taxes maybe we could enjoy some of France's 10.6% unemployment rate as well compared to the US unemployment rate of 5.5%.

Free stuff is well... free!

Old 05-19-2015, 10:43 PM

50,508 posts, read 26,677,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Excuse me? I have friends in both the UK and Canada, and they have to pay for additional insurance if they want better treatment... otherwise they get something that's not even on par with Medicaid.

One of my buddies in the UK had to wait 6 months just for an MRI. Do you know how fast cancer moves? Can you say "waiting lists" = "death"?
So am i to assume that cancer patients in the UK never get better? They all just die without treatment?

Old 05-19-2015, 11:18 PM

6,553 posts, read 3,279,241 times
Couldn't help but notice that the vast majority of anti-healthcare reformer conservatives didn't actually leave an intelligent comment, but just some jab about taxes or Obama or something. Neat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
No it's not free. The exorbitant taxes that are paid by the Canadians fund those programs with sin taxes on alcohol and tobacco.
Canadians aren't necessarily taxed more. In fact, US income tax ranges from 10%-35% while Canadian is 15%-30%.

In general, lower income Canadians are taxed less than their American counterparts, thus your better off with a low income in Canada than you are in America, while in the American's with higher income are taxed less than Canadians with higher income.

But go ahead and oversimplify it.

Old 05-19-2015, 11:31 PM

9,995 posts, read 11,670,449 times
This is precisely why we all need single payer.

Some poor stiff who gets cancer at 35, who cannot work and has not inherited millions, will be destroyed by a disease. Or they will ignore getting it checked out until it is too late. That is just an indictment of our whole society. Statistically it is rare enough that if we pooled our resources it could easily be covered. Why let any person / family go through life threatening disease and financial ruin?

There but for the grace of God goes any of us.

And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

Matthew 25:40

For all the conservatism I read here, I sense little of the generosity in this passage, or the Gospel as a whole.

Old 05-19-2015, 11:33 PM

12,172 posts, read 7,037,881 times
What kind of firefighters don't have disability insurance ?

Old 05-20-2015, 02:16 PM

15,402 posts, read 7,871,041 times
She should be able to qualify for disability and get Medicaid.

that said, it is such a sad story. Prior to reading the article I thought that she should be covered just because she is a public servant. In my area if our fire or police officers get a debilitating disease like cancer they will be automatically covered by the health plan that is reserved for retired fire/police staff.

Looks like FL is letting down their public employees in this regard IMO. Firefighting and police come with a host of risks and many states recognize this and provide medical coverage to those who contract cancer especially when it comes to firefighters.

Old 05-20-2015, 02:18 PM

493 posts, read 309,915 times
Welcome to America, the country who is supposedly a "1st world nation, the richest on Earth" who cannot provide health care for all its citizens...
OP, look for Charity Care organizations, they could help you out. Churches will help as well even though people bash Christianity every day.

Old 05-20-2015, 02:20 PM

15,402 posts, read 7,871,041 times
I was also thinking that she should have been offered some sort of catastrophic illness insurance.

I have had similar policies that cover cancer offered by my government employers but not in the south. I don't like to bring regional sort of leanings into these sort of conversations but it is good to mention that many southern states didn't accept the ACA's Medicaid expansion and many don't have strong public unions which advocate for their workers. I have worked as a consultant for government in the SE states and practically none of them offer the same sorts of benefit packages as you find in the NE or Midwest. As a result you see situations like this firefighter's more often in southern states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or