U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 02:47 PM

9,995 posts, read 11,685,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX City visiting View Post
Welcome to America, the country who is supposedly a "1st world nation, the richest on Earth" who cannot provide health care for all its citizens...
OP, look for Charity Care organizations, they could help you out. Churches will help as well even though people bash Christianity every day.

It is not that it cannot. It will not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 03:07 PM

12,045 posts, read 16,786,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
So am i to assume that cancer patients in the UK never get better? They all just die without treatment?
In my experience, people got FASTER treatment in the UK and Canada than I did when diagnosed with the same cancer around the same time. And they didn't have the 3rd full time job (after your actual full time job and the full time job of fighting cancer) fighting with insurance companies, like I did.

I've told my story here before, but it's always worth another go...

Diagnosed with stage IV Hodgkin's lymphoma a month after my 23rd birthday and 4 months after starting my first job out of college. Before I relocated cross country for my job (35K in Boston - which is the equivalent of about 20-25K in a more average COL area), I was denied health insurance coverage due to minor preexisting conditions that had nothing to do with my eventual diagnosis. Preexisting conditions like seeking psychiatric counseling for depression and anxiety following a rape and subsequent miscarriage when I was 17.

I had to work full time not only to keep my insurance, but also to pay for my medication. There were few social safety nets available. Luckily, I had supervisors who gave me a pass and also paid me to "work from chemo" as long as I responded to email or else I would have risked losing my job. That said, I was told by my oncologist that I needed to scale back to part time, if not leave work altogether. It wasn't a possibility. My workplace was not accessible, so toward the end of treatment, I had to crawl up to my office on my hands and knees because I couldn't walk up 3 flights of stairs. I suffer from a lot of side effects, way more than normal, because I wasn't able to follow doctor's orders and rest.

I didn't have millions in savings - I had 5K left over after relocating to find a job that I, quite honestly, felt was beneath me. That 5K was gone before I was even a month into treatment. Before my diagnosis, I was living relatively comfortably (and frugally!) with roommates, walking 2 miles each way to work. Luckily, I had no debt as I had gone to college on a full scholarship and I did not have a car. I was able to put away about $150-$200 a week. Then I found myself being unable to walk around the block and told I couldn't use public transit so I had to get a car, buying prepared foods because I didn't have the energy to cook, and spending hundreds to thousands of dollars a week in medication (over the counter is what killed me financially), copays, parking at the hospital, sending my laundry out instead of trying to walk it 2 blocks to the laundromat, etc. I had no caregiver - I just had roommates who felt very put out to have to take over my share of cleaning, not to mention cleaning at the level a cancer patient requires to stay healthy.

SSDI isn't an automatic with a cancer diagnosis. Even if I was to relapse today and need a stem cell transplant, which involves a few months of intense chemo, the transplant, at least a month or two in isolation in the hospital, and then several more months in recovery, I would not be fast-tracked for disability. In fact, I would either starve or have to force myself back to work before any kind of appeal even had a chance of helping me. I know - I've watched people with similar diagnoses fight and fight for help.

I still wake up in a cold sweat at least once a month thinking about if my diagnosis had come while I was job hunting and uninsured (and, apparently, uninsurable). 6 months of chemo, plus the 3 months it took to get through the diagnosis and lead-up to chemo cost over $300,000. I am 4 year out of my diagnosis and my medical bills are mounting $500,000 based on what my insurance has been billed. In my entire career, I have not even made $300,000. My career was thwarted as a result of cancer - I am medically disqualified from the field I trained in and now am scrambling to establish myself in a totally different field while dealing with the late term effects of my treatment.

In all of this, I have never relied on government assistance but I can't tell you how much of a relief it is that job loss wouldn't result in a lack of insurance. I would struggle to pay COBRA - but Obamacare insures that even if I relapse, lose my job, and burn through COBRA that I will be able to buy health insurance and not be denied due to my cancer diagnosis.

Old 05-20-2015, 03:13 PM

29,365 posts, read 39,800,226 times
If you lose your job and medical insurance for any reason - including quitting - you can get Obamacare. There is no up charge for pre-existing conditions. It is based on age and smoking status. This person would get a low rate because of age. Of course, you still have to pay that premium but if your income is low enough then you would get subsidy. There are also deductible and copays to consider.

If the person is disabled and can't work and thus has no income, then medicaid is available - except where it is not which is in Republican states like Florida that have refused to participate in the expanded program that might apply in this case.

Old 05-20-2015, 05:41 PM

792 posts, read 518,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
In my experience, people got FASTER treatment in the UK and Canada than I did when diagnosed with the same cancer around the same time. And they didn't have the 3rd full time job (after your actual full time job and the full time job of fighting cancer) fighting with insurance companies, like I did.

I've told my story here before, but it's always worth another go...

Diagnosed with stage IV Hodgkin's lymphoma a month after my 23rd birthday and 4 months after starting my first job out of college. Before I relocated cross country for my job (35K in Boston - which is the equivalent of about 20-25K in a more average COL area), I was denied health insurance coverage due to minor preexisting conditions that had nothing to do with my eventual diagnosis. Preexisting conditions like seeking psychiatric counseling for depression and anxiety following a rape and subsequent miscarriage when I was 17.

I had to work full time not only to keep my insurance, but also to pay for my medication. There were few social safety nets available. Luckily, I had supervisors who gave me a pass and also paid me to "work from chemo" as long as I responded to email or else I would have risked losing my job. That said, I was told by my oncologist that I needed to scale back to part time, if not leave work altogether. It wasn't a possibility. My workplace was not accessible, so toward the end of treatment, I had to crawl up to my office on my hands and knees because I couldn't walk up 3 flights of stairs. I suffer from a lot of side effects, way more than normal, because I wasn't able to follow doctor's orders and rest.

I didn't have millions in savings - I had 5K left over after relocating to find a job that I, quite honestly, felt was beneath me. That 5K was gone before I was even a month into treatment. Before my diagnosis, I was living relatively comfortably (and frugally!) with roommates, walking 2 miles each way to work. Luckily, I had no debt as I had gone to college on a full scholarship and I did not have a car. I was able to put away about $150-$200 a week. Then I found myself being unable to walk around the block and told I couldn't use public transit so I had to get a car, buying prepared foods because I didn't have the energy to cook, and spending hundreds to thousands of dollars a week in medication (over the counter is what killed me financially), copays, parking at the hospital, sending my laundry out instead of trying to walk it 2 blocks to the laundromat, etc. I had no caregiver - I just had roommates who felt very put out to have to take over my share of cleaning, not to mention cleaning at the level a cancer patient requires to stay healthy.

SSDI isn't an automatic with a cancer diagnosis. Even if I was to relapse today and need a stem cell transplant, which involves a few months of intense chemo, the transplant, at least a month or two in isolation in the hospital, and then several more months in recovery, I would not be fast-tracked for disability. In fact, I would either starve or have to force myself back to work before any kind of appeal even had a chance of helping me. I know - I've watched people with similar diagnoses fight and fight for help.

I still wake up in a cold sweat at least once a month thinking about if my diagnosis had come while I was job hunting and uninsured (and, apparently, uninsurable). 6 months of chemo, plus the 3 months it took to get through the diagnosis and lead-up to chemo cost over $300,000. I am 4 year out of my diagnosis and my medical bills are mounting $500,000 based on what my insurance has been billed. In my entire career, I have not even made $300,000. My career was thwarted as a result of cancer - I am medically disqualified from the field I trained in and now am scrambling to establish myself in a totally different field while dealing with the late term effects of my treatment.

In all of this, I have never relied on government assistance but I can't tell you how much of a relief it is that job loss wouldn't result in a lack of insurance. I would struggle to pay COBRA - but Obamacare insures that even if I relapse, lose my job, and burn through COBRA that I will be able to buy health insurance and not be denied due to my cancer diagnosis.
Leach leach leach!!!!!!! Didn't you get the message from ours so called caring conservatives. Your kind of ilk should have to work full time to get treatment. Pull yourself by the boot strap you lazy slob.

All sarcasm aside, I am sorry to hear about everything you went through. But I am glad you got through it and it sounds like your doing good now. My experience is not as severe as your but I know what you are talking about. If it wasn't for the ACA I could be physically and financially ruined.

One never expects to get a tumor embedded and wrapped around your nerves in your spinal cord, even though you were eating healthy an working out and doing cardio 5 times a week....at the age of 24. And of course my job didn't offer coverage and I had a pre existing condition that iwas born with due to no fault on my own. Luckily because of the ACA I WAs kept under my parents plan.

Went through the surgery to remove the tumor and was fortunate enough that it went well and although I was out for 3 months and went through intense surgery, the rehab and radiation sounds so mild compared to your ordeal.

But like you, the amount of money for the whole ordeal was astounding. 165k just for the hospital stay and surgery room and equipment...not including the costs of the surgeon, anesthesiologist, pathologist, radiation oncologist nor the radiation therapy.

Oh and let's not forget the loads of fun I had dealing with the insurance company....

Old 05-20-2015, 06:16 PM

22,551 posts, read 11,616,553 times
I have always taken care of myself so I won't get cancer.

Old 05-20-2015, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stizzel View Post
Leach leach leach!!!!!!! Didn't you get the message from ours so called caring conservatives. Your kind of ilk should have to work full time to get treatment. Pull yourself by the boot strap you lazy slob.

All sarcasm aside, I am sorry to hear about everything you went through. But I am glad you got through it and it sounds like your doing good now. My experience is not as severe as your but I know what you are talking about. If it wasn't for the ACA I could be physically and financially ruined.

One never expects to get a tumor embedded and wrapped around your nerves in your spinal cord, even though you were eating healthy an working out and doing cardio 5 times a week....at the age of 24. And of course my job didn't offer coverage and I had a pre existing condition that iwas born with due to no fault on my own. Luckily because of the ACA I WAs kept under my parents plan.

Went through the surgery to remove the tumor and was fortunate enough that it went well and although I was out for 3 months and went through intense surgery, the rehab and radiation sounds so mild compared to your ordeal.

But like you, the amount of money for the whole ordeal was astounding. 165k just for the hospital stay and surgery room and equipment...not including the costs of the surgeon, anesthesiologist, pathologist, radiation oncologist nor the radiation therapy.

Oh and let's not forget the loads of fun I had dealing with the insurance company....
Heck, I've had people on here call me a leach because I used up more than my "fair share" of health insurance. And the good old "You would spend $300,000 for a house, why not your life?" because, you know, I just buy houses that I can't afford but live and pay rent elsewhere for fun.

I am glad you seem to be doing well as well! It is important for us to keep telling our stories. At the very least, we know none of our friends or coworkers would ever say something as stupid as, "I'm young and healthy - I don't need health insurance!"

What is most unfortunate about the woman in the OP is she seems to have had several health issues at the heels of each other with cancer coming last (or maybe cancer impacted the others all along?). She is relatively young, looked seemingly healthy in the pictures and likely had an active lifestyle as a firefighter. Thyroid cancer is pretty common, as far as cancers go, among young people and there's no way to prevent it.

Old 05-20-2015, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I have always taken care of myself so I won't get cancer.
Many cancers have no cause. I was a healthy 17 year old when I first displayed symptoms, though I would go on to be misdiagnosed for 5 years. Thyroid cancer, which is what the woman in the OP had, has no known causes. It seems to be genetic. My cancer's only proven risk factor is exposure to mono - and that's not really something you can help by taking care of yourself. I have no memory of being exposed, much less having the illness!

So I hope that is just a poorly executed bit of sarcasm.

Old 05-20-2015, 06:45 PM

407 posts, read 475,478 times
She's in Florida. She's SOL. Our lovely Republican governor and Republican state house & senate have refused to expand Medicaid to offer coverage to over 800,000 low income Floridians. Marion County, where I live, is just slightly larger than the whole state of Rhode Island and 25% of the residents of this county live under poverty level. They got theirs, to h**l with the poor people...you know, the ones that babysit their kids, mow their grass, clean their pools, and dig their ditches.

Last edited by FloridaHappy; 05-20-2015 at 07:15 PM.. Reason: Can't spell

Old 05-20-2015, 06:50 PM

16,019 posts, read 19,711,969 times
Sad. My sis used to work a state job. When someone went thru similar situations, often folks gave up their vacations, donated them to the person.

There should be short term disability and perhaps some other emergency programs for a state employee like a firefighter.

Old 05-20-2015, 06:58 PM

10,357 posts, read 7,988,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
Yep. And, further to the universal health care, the pharmaceutical benefits scheme, where drugs are heavily subsidised is just as important.
At least in Canada, first of all, the government negotiates with big Pharma and puts a reasonable cap on what medications can cost in Canada. So even if you are paying out of pocket, your cost might be lower than in the U.S., but not for all drugs. Many common generics sell out-of-pocket for a few bucks at Walgreens in the U.S. and cost more in Canada.

The cost of purchasing medication is still up to the individual in Canada, until they are over age 65, then costs are reduced substantially. And employers offer health plans that employees also need to pay into to get insurance coverage for medication. If you are low or no income in Canada, the government in most provinces will subsidize the costs of medication to reduce them for you. There are strange things in Canada that a patient must pay totally out of pocket, like casts for broken bones. Also physiotherapy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or