Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 07:56 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,335,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
If you lose your job and medical insurance for any reason - including quitting - you can get Obamacare. There is no up charge for pre-existing conditions. It is based on age and smoking status. This person would get a low rate because of age. Of course, you still have to pay that premium but if your income is low enough then you would get subsidy. There are also deductible and copays to consider.

If the person is disabled and can't work and thus has no income, then medicaid is available - except where it is not which is in Republican states like Florida that have refused to participate in the expanded program that might apply in this case.
You are correct. There is NO safety net for a no income, sick person in Florida, thanks to our dysfunctional governor and do nothing legislature.

Last edited by ray1945; 05-21-2015 at 08:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2015, 09:12 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,987,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
Isn't that what rainy day funds are for?

Am I being forced to contribute to increasingly-inflated comprehensive 'health' insurance plans every April at the muzzle of state firepower so that other people can use pent up assets for only fun stuff?

Rainy day funds are meant for rainy days not tsunamis, storm surges (hurricanes or typhoons) or 100 year floods. Not to mention Texas Twisters otherwise known as F-3 or greater Tornados. Some medical conditions cost millions of dollars (just ask Dick Cheney how much Uncle Sam paid for his heart surgery and eventual replacement). People like you need to learn this simple truth.

Old 05-21-2015, 09:29 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,987,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
But..... Only after having been disabled for 2 years.

(Medicare.gov)

Will a beneficiary get Medicare coverage?

Everyone eligible for Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) benefits is also eligible for Medicare after a 24-month qualifying period. The first 24 months of disability benefit entitlement is the waiting period for Medicare coverage. During this qualifying period for Medicare, the beneficiary may be eligible for health insurance through a former employer. The employer should be contacted for information about health insurance coverage.

I don't get this either... I went through this with a co- worker who was diagnosed with a spinal tumor and unable to work any longer. SS informed her that her condition made her definitely eligible for SSDI . ( permanent disability)But she still had to wait the 24 months before getting Medicare.

Certain medical conditions like a complete spinal cord failure and paralysis, total blindness or End Stage Renal Failure (requiring Dialysis) will qualify one for immediate admission to Medicare on acceptance into SSDI.

Dialysis alone costs nearly 3500 dollars per week (well beyond the income of over 95% of the American people).

Old 05-21-2015, 09:46 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,949,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaHappy View Post
She's in Florida. She's SOL. Our lovely Republican governor and Republican state house & senate have refused to expand Medicaid to offer coverage to over 800,000 low income Floridians. Marion County, where I live, is just slightly larger than the whole state of Rhode Island and 25% of the residents of this county live under poverty level. They got theirs, to h**l with the poor people...you know, the ones that babysit their kids, mow their grass, clean their pools, and dig their ditches.
Perhaps your idiot President and your idiotic political party should have passed a functional bill. Instead the fools who are actually responsible for what you're complaining about, Democrats, decided to pass a terrible bill without reading it in the dark of night with no input from the opposition party.

And now that the calamity you and your party foisted on the country doesn't work, here you are crying about evil Republicans. Typical and pathetic.

Old 05-21-2015, 09:54 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
But..... Only after having been disabled for 2 years.

(Medicare.gov)

Will a beneficiary get Medicare coverage?

Everyone eligible for Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) benefits is also eligible for Medicare after a 24-month qualifying period. The first 24 months of disability benefit entitlement is the waiting period for Medicare coverage. During this qualifying period for Medicare, the beneficiary may be eligible for health insurance through a former employer. The employer should be contacted for information about health insurance coverage.

I don't get this either... I went through this with a co- worker who was diagnosed with a spinal tumor and unable to work any longer. SS informed her that her condition made her definitely eligible for SSDI . ( permanent disability)But she still had to wait the 24 months before getting Medicare.
I agree, I think it's nuts. How much more would it cost to put those people on Medicare? But I guess the other question is why didn't Florida adopt expanded medicaid?

Old 05-21-2015, 09:57 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,409,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Saw this article, a firefighter with cancer, can't work anymore and lost medical coverage because. I don't know all the laws or options available so I am asking. Because this could be any of us. Most of work and that gets us insurance, but what happens when you can't work to pay for coverage?

Does "Obamacare" come into play with this? Will she continue to get treatment? What exactly are the federal and various state laws on this? What do you do when you are faced with massive amounts of medical debt, with no way to no longer earn a income to pay for insurance? Most people don't have hundreds of thousands of dollars saved to pay for treatment.

Local firefighter battling cancer, no medical benefits
Your thread title is misleading. First, I would be shocked to know that a firefighter did not opt for disability insurance. Second, if this person is disabled from working, he or she needs to file a claim with the social security administration. Third, speak to social worker at the Department of Human Services instead of asking strangers on the internet.

Old 05-21-2015, 10:00 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,409,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
You are correct. There is NO safety net for a no income, sick person in Florida, thanks to our dysfunctional governor and do nothing legislature.
Really? Where does personal responsibility come into play? The government is not our mommy and daddy.

Old 05-21-2015, 10:33 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
Really? Where does personal responsibility come into play? The government is not our mommy and daddy.
I guess you totally missed the part about sickness resulting in not being able to work, not being able to work means no health insurance, no health insurance means the poor sucker is gonna wait fup to 24 months for his/her treatment until some other avenue is found.

Now what about that scenario shows a lack of personal responsibility?

Old 05-21-2015, 10:33 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
Your thread title is misleading. First, I would be shocked to know that a firefighter did not opt for disability insurance. Second, if this person is disabled from working, he or she needs to file a claim with the social security administration. Third, speak to social worker at the Department of Human Services instead of asking strangers on the internet.
As I already posted, she can apply for SSDI but she will not get medicare for two years. Social Services won't help her, Florida did not opt in to expanded medicaid, so for her to get subsidized health care she has to be working and earning at least 100% of the poverty level. In Florida adults without children do not receive ANY financial assistance with health care.

Old 05-21-2015, 10:34 PM

11,157 posts, read 7,952,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
Certain medical conditions like a complete spinal cord failure and paralysis, total blindness or End Stage Renal Failure (requiring Dialysis) will qualify one for immediate admission to Medicare on acceptance into SSDI.

Dialysis alone costs nearly 3500 dollars per week (well beyond the income of over 95% of the American people).

As I stated.. She has a spinal tumor that can't be removed and she was deemed permanently disabled and given SSDI, but she had to wait the two years to get Medicare. We even spoke to an advocate/ lawyer who specializes in SS and he said that there wasn't anything she could do but buy health insurance with part of her SS. In any case I don't believe that the person in questions illness would qualify them for immediate acceptance into Medicare... Sadly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies