U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-20-2015, 02:43 PM
 
Location: Pine Grove,AL
23,304 posts, read 11,549,845 times
Reputation: 4317

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashes1 View Post
You spew a lot of blatant BS:

Warming up to Missouri as B1G addition - Big Ten Blog - ESPN

SEC Football: Did the Conference Make a Mistake with Missouri? | Bleacher Report


MO would probably still come to the B1G if they were accepted. If the Big 12 goes down, look for Texas to move to the B1G.....unless the Big 12 can assemble a big enough conference to host a conference championship, they will probably fall apart before the ACC does.
Your link in no way backs up your argument that Missouri was begging to be in the Big 10. It says that the Governor of Missouri would have liked for them to join that league.

You seriously have put forth zero effort in backing up any of your arguments, and when attempting to claim i spewed BS as you put it, it has backfired in your face both times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-20-2015, 03:15 PM
 
1,560 posts, read 1,551,792 times
Reputation: 1637
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Your link in no way backs up your argument that Missouri was begging to be in the Big 10. It says that the Governor of Missouri would have liked for them to join that league.

You seriously have put forth zero effort in backing up any of your arguments, and when attempting to claim i spewed BS as you put it, it has backfired in your face both times.
It's common knowledge MO wanted in----I can provide many more links supporting it, but you will continue to deny even in the face of insurmountable evidence.

The SEC is the best football conference; but academically, it's #4----and many Southerners are comfortable with that. The SEC never stood a chance once General Sherman was put in command.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2015, 03:21 PM
 
25,630 posts, read 30,453,311 times
Reputation: 23112
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Yeah, i've never cared about the whole stigmatization thing. i went to a state school and no one ever said anything sideways to me while i was there (that i can remember). But even if they thought it, so what? I've got my degree in my hip pocket regardless of how someone thinks i earned it. I passed the classes and to my knowledge, there are no affirmative action grades being given out at ASU.


Give the kid his props and leave it at that. All the crap about Sharpton and Jackson is unnecessary and irrelevant.

If you could afford to fund it, why would you be glad that she didn't tell you and chose a state school instead?


Yeah...buncha phonies.


You "doubt it," huh?
Yeah I doubt it. Got a problem with that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2015, 03:26 PM
 
Location: Pine Grove,AL
23,304 posts, read 11,549,845 times
Reputation: 4317
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashes1 View Post
It's common knowledge MO wanted in----I can provide many more links supporting it, but you will continue to deny even in the face of insurmountable evidence.
it common knowledge and yet your own evidence is that the Governor of Missouri wanted them to join, heck, your own link says that all Missouri ever said was that they were "open to the possibility"

Quote:
The SEC is the best football conference; but academically, it's #4----and many Southerners are comfortable with that. The SEC never stood a chance once General Sherman was put in command.
the ACC is #1 in Academics and it is just as Southern. Your entire argument was based on a falsehood no matter how you try and flip it, just admit it and move on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2015, 05:12 PM
 
66,547 posts, read 30,358,972 times
Reputation: 8687
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
I will also post a list of schools ranked just ahead of Alabama in those conferences

56. Ohio State
65. Purdue
68. Minnesota
72. Michigan State
72. Iowa

58. Syracuse
58. Maryland
58. Pittsburgh
68. Clemson
72. Virginia Tech
You've left out several Big 10 state schools ranked higher than #88 Alabama
http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandre...f-alabama-1051

29. Michigan
42. Illinois
47. Wisconsin
48. Penn State
70. Rutgers
76. Indiana


Here's how Big 10 schools stack up in the US News & World Report rankings

The Big 10 is a state school academic powerhouse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2015, 05:17 PM
 
1,560 posts, read 1,551,792 times
Reputation: 1637
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
it common knowledge and yet your own evidence is that the Governor of Missouri wanted them to join, heck, your own link says that all Missouri ever said was that they were "open to the possibility"


the ACC is #1 in Academics and it is just as Southern. Your entire argument was based on a falsehood no matter how you try and flip it, just admit it and move on.
Yes, MO wanted in B1G and they said thanks but no thanks. I've provided several links supporting this, every intelligent sports fan knows this.

Okay, ACC is number 1, I have no problem with this, the problem is you were purporting how strong Bama's academic record is where it's clearly in the back half of both the ACC and B1G. Not a big surprise. The state of Alabama has long one of the poorest states in the Union.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2015, 05:22 PM
 
66,547 posts, read 30,358,972 times
Reputation: 8687
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
You obviously missed my other post that debunks this argument so im just going to repost it.



Or maybe you didnt miss it since the Pac 12 has now disappeared from your argument, but the whole Southern argument still doesnt work since the ACC and SEC not only have swapped schools, but share Geographical area and 3 states

And in Case I didnt mention it, the ACC, which is in the South, has better schools on Average than the Big 10.


ACC -- Average of 51.2
8. Duke
24. Virginia
27. Wake Forest
30. North Carolina
31. Boston College
36. Georgia Tech
44. Miami
58. Syracuse
58. Maryland
58. Pittsburgh
68. Clemson
72. Virginia Tech
97. Florida State
106. North Carolina State

Big Ten: Average of 57.5
12. Northwestern
29. Michigan
41. Wisconsin
46. Penn State
46. Illinois
56. Ohio State
65. Purdue
68. Minnesota
72. Michigan State
72. Iowa
83. Indiana
101. Nebraska
Maryland is a Big 10 school. Just sayin'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2015, 05:41 PM
 
50,726 posts, read 26,752,776 times
Reputation: 15883
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Maryland is a Big 10 school. Just sayin'.
Meh...not really. Officially, yeah, but as someone who grew up in a Big 10 household with a Northwestern Alum as a father, no one in the Big 10 wants to see the Terrapins showing up to your stadium. They don't belong...they need to take their asses back to the ACC. Frankly, Nebraska should do the same.

I'm a Pac 10 alum, and I can't stand the sight of the Colorado and Utah in our conference. It's like having a weirdo showing up on your porch that hasn't taken a bath in a year. I want them to get the hell out of dodge.

But alas...This is what college football has done, and we've got all these unnatural realignments of the conferences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2015, 06:04 PM
 
66,547 posts, read 30,358,972 times
Reputation: 8687
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Meh...not really.
Actually, yes. Really.

Why do liberals think actual facts don't matter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2015, 06:13 PM
 
66,547 posts, read 30,358,972 times
Reputation: 8687
Here's the definitive answer to which is the top academic NCAA conference:
Quote:
"The Big Ten holds a slight edge in the mean ranking of it's universities"
https://infogr.am/2014-power-football-academic-rankings
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:54 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top