U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-21-2015, 07:38 PM
 
Location: Pine Grove,AL
23,290 posts, read 11,531,083 times
Reputation: 4315

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantown View Post
Fixed it for you. Remember private schools are favored in this ranking.
the Universtiy of Chicago is in the CIC, not Big 10, they left the big 10 about 90 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-21-2015, 07:45 PM
 
Location: Pine Grove,AL
23,290 posts, read 11,531,083 times
Reputation: 4315
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
You've left out several Big 10 state schools ranked higher than #88 Alabama
University of Alabama | Best College | US News

29. Michigan
42. Illinois
47. Wisconsin
48. Penn State
70. Rutgers
76. Indiana


Here's how Big 10 schools stack up in the US News & World Report rankings

The Big 10 is a state school academic powerhouse.
I didnt leave out anything, I said because of the way the list is ranked, i would post the schools ranked just ahead of Alabama, clearly based on the list, I was saying those schools were more than "just ahead" which is actually a compliment.

Further more, the list I used, and linked to was from 2012, its changed a little, but source material was given, you posting another list from a different year doesnt change the results of the one I used. And to be clear, the reason I used that list is because it was the first one to come up on google.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Maryland is a Big 10 school. Just sayin'.

The became a Big 10 school about a year and a half after the list I posted came out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2015, 07:46 PM
 
Location: Texas
43,545 posts, read 52,637,306 times
Reputation: 70782
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Good choice. I was accepted to two Ivy League undergrad schools (I went to a state school instead). I was accepted to three Ivy League medical schools (I went to a state school instead).

The Ivy League schools are not worth the money unless someone goes into business. Individual effort and self determination is more important than a degree from an institution.
There were quite a few people accepted to Ivys at my state school and med school, as well.
It just made more financial sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2015, 07:53 PM
 
Location: Pine Grove,AL
23,290 posts, read 11,531,083 times
Reputation: 4315
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashes1 View Post
Yes, MO wanted in B1G and they said thanks but no thanks. I've provided several links supporting this, every intelligent sports fan knows this.
Your link said the governor of Missouri wanted them in the Big 10, not that Missouri themselves wanted to be in the Big 10. Pretending that your link said anything else is delusional on your part. If you believe any of your links backed up your argument, simply quote it.

Quote:
Okay, ACC is number 1, I have no problem with this, the problem is you were purporting how strong Bama's academic record is where it's clearly in the back half of both the ACC and B1G. Not a big surprise. The state of Alabama has long one of the poorest states in the Union.
You are arguing a fallacy here.

" you arent in the top half of the Big 10 or ACC and there for you arent one of the best schools" and that is wrong. You dont have to be in the top half of either conference to be a good school and that is all I said.

And again, Conference = sports, not academics. This argument doesnt even make sense in the realm of sports seeing as thew Ivy League is still ahead of both the ACC and Big 10, by your comparison the ACC gets blown out of the water in the same aspect when compared to the ACC and Ivy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2015, 07:56 PM
 
Location: Pine Grove,AL
23,290 posts, read 11,531,083 times
Reputation: 4315
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Actually, yes. Really.

Why do liberals think actual facts don't matter?
This isnt even about Liberalism, this about 90 years of sports(mostly football) tradition. If you lived your whole life in Arkansas and moved to Texas, does that make you a Texan in the colloquial sense, no, and I doubt you would argue that, so why is sports any different ????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2015, 08:02 PM
 
Location: Pine Grove,AL
23,290 posts, read 11,531,083 times
Reputation: 4315
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
The University of Chicago isn't in the Big 10. And I already posted a link analyzing conference schools' latest US News ranking. The Big 10's mean very slightly edges out the ACC. The Big 10 is the top conference, academically. 13 of the 14 Big Ten schools are in the top 76, and all are within the top 99, out of 2,500 4-year colleges/universities. That is, 13 are in the top 3%, and when the 14th, Nebraska, is added, all are in the top 4% of US 4-year colleges/universities. As I said, the Big 10 is an academic powerhouse.

https://infogr.am/2014-power-football-academic-rankings

57.5 to 57.3, but the median between the 2 is a whooping 11 point spread in favor of the ACC. it makes more sense to go by the median because it shows that having one school(Louisville) weighing down your rankings is a joke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2015, 08:15 PM
 
Location: Oceania
8,623 posts, read 6,247,719 times
Reputation: 8318
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Are we sure he's not affirmative action child who probably won't be able to keep up in the Ivy League?

Did you see his GPA? He might have been the smartest kid in a school teaching 100% Common Core but, he had to be head of the class. I think he could cut it at any uni. There are too many good schools out there to consider the Ivy league school superior when, in fact, they aren't.

POTUS and FLOTUS are both Ivy league grads. I'm impressed...not.
I am sure both of their daughters will be as well unless one has a free spirit and doesn't want to toe the line. Let's hope one of them is a free thinker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2015, 08:53 PM
 
50,526 posts, read 26,688,716 times
Reputation: 15804
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
Did you see his GPA? He might have been the smartest kid in a school teaching 100% Common Core but, he had to be head of the class. I think he could cut it at any uni. There are too many good schools out there to consider the Ivy league school superior when, in fact, they aren't.

POTUS and FLOTUS are both Ivy league grads. I'm impressed...not.
I am sure both of their daughters will be as well unless one has a free spirit and doesn't want to toe the line. Let's hope one of them is a free thinker.
So rejecting an Ivy league education is being a "free thinker?"

Lol....please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2015, 11:54 AM
 
1,644 posts, read 2,108,821 times
Reputation: 1431
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Ivy League schools do not give any scholarships - it's all need based financial aid. So his family obviously has resources that meant that he would get less financial aid from an Ivy than he would get from a school that was providing merit based scholarship money that wasn't based on financial need.
Exactly. If you get into Dartmouth, and your family makes under $100k/year, you go for free, period. It was $75k five years ago, and it will most likely be even higher in a couple of years. ALL the Ivy's are like this. And contrary to popular belief, they all accept a LOT of kids who qualify. Believe it or not, building a talented, diverse class of incoming freshman each year is more important than how much tuition they'll pay. Otherwise, the Ivy's would just fill their classrooms with International students who pay full boat. Tuition is a very small part of how big Colleges take in money.

Also, a a large percentage of kids at Ivy's graduate with little to no debt.

Princeton: https://admission.princeton.edu/financialaid
Dartmouth: How Much Help Will I Get? | Financial Aid

So his family makes very good money, and they are smart enough not to spend it needlessly so they can put it towards Grad-school. That's a smart choice, but people making the leap to suggest he "rejected" the Ivy's or that he's making some big statement in his choice are reading way too much into it.

I have a lot of experience with kids this age choosing college. ALL of them apply to multiple schools (almost everyone uses a common online app now so it's cheaper and easier then it was 20 years ago) and ALL of them are shopping the financial package as much as the school itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2015, 12:26 PM
 
50,526 posts, read 26,688,716 times
Reputation: 15804
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
This isnt even about Liberalism, this about 90 years of sports(mostly football) tradition. If you lived your whole life in Arkansas and moved to Texas, does that make you a Texan in the colloquial sense, no, and I doubt you would argue that, so why is sports any different ????
He doesn't get it.

Big 10'ers will NEVER accept Maryland as an organic conference member. People can smell b.s. when they see it. This is football ruling the roost in a money grab for tv money and nothing more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top