U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 11:21 PM

5,421 posts, read 8,376,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
This is incorrect. No Ivy League school currently offers merit-based scholarships. They do have generous need-based financial aid packages, however.
You are entirely correct - though some of the schools do refer to their FA as scholarships or grants so I see where some the confusion comes in.

I also want to throw this out there as I see it come up from time to time - a state school may not be cheaper than a out of state private. Private schools, even those who aren't in the upper echelon, can give LOTS of aid to kids with good grades and standardized test scores in the form of automatic merit scholarships. And privates typically are flexible on their aid packages as well ... and will add more $$ if you ask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 11:23 PM

1,099 posts, read 572,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
ugh, this is a distinction without a difference argument.

an Institutional financial aid package that has academic requirements is still a scholarship no matter how you spin it.

if you can lose a "grant" or part of your aid package because your grades dropped, and not because your parents made more money, then it is not income based.
Federal need-based financial aid has academic progress requirements as well. Schools have to maintain requirements in terms of GPA and/or pass/fail of courses in order for students to keep getting federal financial aid.

Institutional need-based financial aid works the same way. Most institutions use the FAFSA to determine their financial aid award just like federal financial aid does.

Neither are a scholarship.

Old 05-19-2015, 11:25 PM

1,099 posts, read 572,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Satisfactory academic progress is a requirements of all institutional and federal financial aid. That doesn't make it a scholarship. The only requirement to qualify for the aid is merit. You can lose it by performing poorly just like you can lose federal financial aid.

Interesting way to twist it up, however... but unsuccessful.
Exactly.

Old 05-19-2015, 11:46 PM

50,629 posts, read 26,709,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
He's from Germantown, basically the wealthiest suburb of Memphis. Had kind of hoped he'd come from a Memphis high school, but those success stories are quite rare I suppose.
Actually, it's rare no matter where you're from. Even getting into ONE Ivy isn't the norm.

It's clear that he goes to school in Germantown, but i'm not sure if he himself is from Germantown. And this story implies that his family is a working class family and that money IS an issue.

Old 05-20-2015, 01:40 AM

2,321 posts, read 945,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
You do know that Ivy League used skin color as a factor and if you are of certain color, you can get accepted even you have significantly less scores, right?
He had perfect test scores, and perfect grades. It was all over the media weeks ago.

This is one of the reasons I can't stand affirmative action. It stigmatizes all black people as charity cases even if they are smarter and more qualified than their white counter parts.

Every black person that attends a prestigious school gets labeled an "affirmative action baby".

Old 05-20-2015, 02:00 AM

50,629 posts, read 26,709,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
He had perfect test scores, and perfect grades. It was all over the media weeks ago.

This is one of the reasons I can't stand affirmative action. It stigmatizes all black people as charity cases even if they are smarter and more qualified than their white counter parts.

Every black person that attends a prestigious school gets labeled an "affirmative action baby".
Meh, if it wasn't AA they'd be finding something else to stigmatize you about. AA is just the latest thing. Blacks were heavily stigmatized long before AA was even thought of.

Old 05-20-2015, 02:50 AM

22,729 posts, read 16,821,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Ivy League schools do not give any scholarships - it's all need based financial aid. So his family obviously has resources that meant that he would get less financial aid from an Ivy than he would get from a school that was providing merit based scholarship money that wasn't based on financial need.
That is not true. My sister's son just got a full engineering scholarship to an Ivy League. He earned it, (mainly because while she really fails in other areas, she is a hammer when it comes to her kids' education, and she is up their butts about it, constantly, and I mean, constantly). It's not a "financial needs" scholarship, it's not a "minority" scholarship, it's a "he worked his tail off in school and in many, many extra curricular activities and earned it" scholarship.

He starts in fall. Five years. Fully. Paid.

Old 05-20-2015, 05:07 AM

66,486 posts, read 30,318,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blind melon View Post
He has a 4.58 GPA and 34 out of 36 on ACT yet you think hes unqualified. Figures
People love to rail against standardized testing, but it's really the only level playing field when the same tests are taken nationwide (NOT the ludicrously manipulated proprietary state NCLB tests ). The ACT and SATs are the only way to tell whether a student's 4.0+ GPA is meaningful, or just a benefit of grade inflation, and/or the quality of the education provided at their particular school.

FWIW, there's no way to earn a 34 on the ACT unless one is indeed a highly qualified student.

And I applaud this young man's extremely well-considered choice. The Ivies may have costly prestige, but the state flagship (especially the top tier ones) universities have MUCH larger alumni networks. And alumni networks do indeed help their own.

Old 05-20-2015, 05:09 AM

21,177 posts, read 11,780,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
That is not true. My sister's son just got a full engineering scholarship to an Ivy League. He earned it, (mainly because while she really fails in other areas, she is a hammer when it comes to her kids' education, and she is up their butts about it, constantly, and I mean, constantly). It's not a "financial needs" scholarship, it's not a "minority" scholarship, it's a "he worked his tail off in school and in many, many extra curricular activities and earned it" scholarship.

It's either not an Ivy League school or its a scholarship from some outside source or they have provided documentation to the school of significant financial need. Ivy league schools do not give merit based scholarships. Not for athletics and not for academics. Look it up, this is a fact, not an opinion.

Old 05-20-2015, 08:04 AM

5,421 posts, read 8,376,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post

It's not one of the Ancient 8 or there is just some confusion over what his financial aid package is called.

The Ivies just don't do academic scholarships.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or