U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 10:13 AM

66,324 posts, read 30,202,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
It looks like Alabama was his safety school. He knew he would be accepted there - and he knew he would get into their Honors College.

Most Honors College programs turn a big university into a smaller experience - and have higher academic standards as well. It can be more like a small private university inside a big public. So I wouldn't necesarily knock the academics at Alabama.
That's an important point. High School students applying to college should most certainly apply to a FINANCIAL safety school, as well, one which they (and their family if applicable) can afford to attend without racking up a huge amount of debt. And yes, many state school honors colleges are very good and have excellent reputations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 10:58 AM

22,634 posts, read 16,748,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
It's either not an Ivy League school or its a scholarship from some outside source or they have provided documentation to the school of significant financial need. Ivy league schools do not give merit based scholarships. Not for athletics and not for academics. Look it up, this is a fact, not an opinion.
Dartmouth is an Ivy League school, and yes it DID come from them. That is FACT.

Old 05-20-2015, 11:16 AM

50,163 posts, read 26,566,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Just wanted to note that just because he chose Alabama doesn't mean that he won't be labeled as an Affirmative Action pick.

I'm sure he will be. Most black students, no matter their credentials, when they go to a mainstream school they are seen as an Affirmative Action student.

I went to an HBCU and due to that, people assume that my education was sub par due to the perception that HBCUs are worse than mainstream colleges/universities. I remember a few years ago a similar story came out and the kid went to FAMU instead of the Ivies and people were up in arms and acting like he sold himself and his education short by choosing an HBCU even though he was going into business and FAMU has a really good business program and their graduates are recruited aggressively by many major corporations. They also have a great network of alumni.

Someone actually accused me to my face many years ago of being an AA recipient and I told them I went to an HBCU and they then told me I received a bad education due to that and also that I was an AA hire at my job even though our company was majority black and didn't participate in AA. FWIW, this was a resident of a building that my company managed.

I agree with desertdetroiter in that no matter if AA is around or not, black people are stigmatized as something. I personally find the whole AA thing funny

Someone else mentioned that no white kid would get into all 8 Ivies when earlier in the thread someone did post links that showed a white kid who did just that. And just FYI, many Ivies look at whether someone is from an educationally disadvantaged background or if they are the first generation to go to college. Many whites fit this category, especially those in rural areas or Appalachia.
Yeah, i've never cared about the whole stigmatization thing. i went to a state school and no one ever said anything sideways to me while i was there (that i can remember). But even if they thought it, so what? I've got my degree in my hip pocket regardless of how someone thinks i earned it. I passed the classes and to my knowledge, there are no affirmative action grades being given out at ASU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashes1 View Post
Of all the public schools he could have gone to for free, I'm surprised he chose a SEC school. Their academics are well below those of the Big 10, Pac 12 and ACC.

AA is alive and well; however, this kid and the one linked below got in on their own merits. I applaud their hard work. They don't go to the "we're vicitms" school of Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson.
Give the kid his props and leave it at that. All the crap about Sharpton and Jackson is unnecessary and irrelevant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer0101 View Post
I suspect this is not that unusual. My oldest daughter was accepted at both Yale and Harvard and never even told me until years later because she thought it was going to be too much money. I'm glad she made that decision because I would probably have gone ahead and funded it even though it would have been very expensive. State school instead.
If you could afford to fund it, why would you be glad that she didn't tell you and chose a state school instead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlackAmerican View Post
Don't you just love the faux concern.
Yeah...buncha phonies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Smart kid If he works hard and has drive I suspect he'll be in the top tier of whatever profession he chooses.

I make more than most Doctors and graduated from a local State school.

Yeah I doubt this was an affirmative action case.
You "doubt it," huh?

Old 05-20-2015, 11:23 AM

1,560 posts, read 1,544,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
It looks like Alabama was his safety school. He knew he would be accepted there - and he knew he would get into their Honors College.

Most Honors College programs turn a big university into a smaller experience - and have higher academic standards as well. It can be more like a small private university inside a big public. So I wouldn't necesarily knock the academics at Alabama.

Anyway, if finances were going to be a consideration, I'm stumped for a couple of reasons: 1. He spent upwards of $600-$800 on application fees to all of these schools and 2. He had to have known exactly what the Ivies would cost before applying. There are calculators on their individual websites that estimate (very accurately I might add) what your cost will be based on your personal financial situation.
Yea, I thought about it some more, and maybe he just felt good about being close to home, and he felt most comfortable at Bama. Good for him. He will go far. Regarding application fees, maybe he just wanted to see if he could get in, and it's got to be a great feeling to say to Harvard, thanks but no thanks.

Old 05-20-2015, 11:32 AM

5,820 posts, read 13,285,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
Ivy league schools are overrated. You can get equivalent education, maybe better in some areas, for cheaper all over the US (and the world actually). You won't get the magical 'I went to X' badge, but most people didn't go to Ivy league, so no harm there really.

It really sucks that he was accepted to all of them but couldn't go because they're asking for more than it actually is worth though. If ever there was someone who deserved to go to Ivy league, it's someone that all of them are competing to get.
I agree Dusty. My neighbor's daughter was given a totally free ride to Princeton, very gifted and smart. She dropped out after two semesters. Didn't like sitting in a lecture with 300+ others, felt out of place because of the "rich" crowd with their beamers and designer labels, felt she was nothing but a number and basically was teaching herself. I think Ivy league schools are totally overrated. Many of the professors are foreigners with heavy accents, making learning difficult. Why spend all that money and have the same degree from a school that you can afford and not be paying for an education for the next 25 years. The alumni kids, with their family money, have no need to worry about debt and their family donations will keep them enrolled.

Old 05-20-2015, 11:43 AM

23,245 posts, read 11,493,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashes1 View Post
Of all the public schools he could have gone to for free, I'm surprised he chose a SEC school. Their academics are well below those of the Big 10, Pac 12 and ACC.

Mason whiz kid accepted to 5 Ivy League schools
How should I respond to this.

Back when the SEC first started dominating the BCS era, this debate would come up all the time, and it baffled me in multiple ways.

the first one being the clear lack of understand of what a ATHLETIC conference is by people like you. These arent academic creations, they were created for the purpose of sports and that is it(with the exception of the Big 10 which does have academic cooperation among its member schools in the CIC which was created after the athletic conference).

the second being the fact that you are down right wrong about them being academically better. maybe its possible that you meant the academic prowless of the conferences on average, but thats still subjective to the specific ranking you are using and leaves out the fact that Stanford being a great school doesnt make Oregon State a great school
I have a site saved in my favorites, it says these ranking are from 2012, so thats new enough.

Alabama ranks as the 77th best overall University in the nation

Here are a list of Pac 12, ACC and Big 10 schools that rank below it

97. Colorado
115. Oregon
120. Arizona
125. Utah
125. Washington State
139. Arizona State
139. Oregon State
83. Indiana
101. Nebraska
97. Florida State
106. North Carolina State

as you can also see, there are teams tied for specific numbers, so the difference between certain ranks isnt as big as they look( in fact, if i remember correctly,Alabama would be like 25th if you went in numerical order by ties) , so I will also post a list of schools ranked just ahead of Alabama in those conferences

56. Ohio State
65. Purdue
68. Minnesota
72. Michigan State
72. Iowa
58. Syracuse
58. Maryland
58. Pittsburgh
68. Clemson
72. Virginia Tech

in short, your premise was based on a gross over exaggeration

Quote:
AA is alive and well; however, this kid and the one linked below got in on their own merits. I applaud their hard work. They don't go to the "we're vicitms" school of Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson.
you keep talking about Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson and yet your default response to any successful black person is that Affirmative action is the only reason they got to where they are.

You are no better than the 2 of them in that respect.

Old 05-20-2015, 11:46 AM

33,061 posts, read 19,994,918 times
This post is not directed at any posters in this thread.

I don't think IVY League schools are overrated at all. I think those who actually went are talented and gifted. My ex went to Cornell University, I know how smart he is.

I went to UCLA, my brother went to UC Berkeley. My brother has his own business, and he is also a talented industrial designer.

Many have told me in the past that Cornell is the least impressive ivy and UCLA's science/bio is better anyway. Well, I went to UCLA because i like the art program and I also was an athlete. I am now doing something entirely different. My ex went to Cornell for the title, but he is now a self taught sw engineer.

Different people have different priorities and preferences. Ivy League schools are impressive. Those who got accepted definitely deserve it because they have something the schools are looking for.

Old 05-20-2015, 11:47 AM

5,387 posts, read 8,353,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Dartmouth is an Ivy League school, and yes it DID come from them. That is FACT.
The Thayer Scholars Program at Dartmouth is worth $10K per year - it's not a full ride.

He was most likely the benefit of another endowment that was based on his FAFSA that made up the difference.

Old 05-20-2015, 11:51 AM

5,387 posts, read 8,353,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
I agree Dusty. My neighbor's daughter was given a totally free ride to Princeton, very gifted and smart. She dropped out after two semesters. Didn't like sitting in a lecture with 300+ others, felt out of place because of the "rich" crowd with their beamers and designer labels, felt she was nothing but a number and basically was teaching herself. I think Ivy league schools are totally overrated. Many of the professors are foreigners with heavy accents, making learning difficult. Why spend all that money and have the same degree from a school that you can afford and not be paying for an education for the next 25 years. The alumni kids, with their family money, have no need to worry about debt and their family donations will keep them enrolled.

Someone sold you a line of bull.

Only a very small percentage of Princeton's classes have a size of over 100 students. VERY SMALL.

And fyi, the average freshman financial aid package was over $40k. So it's not all rich kids.

Old 05-20-2015, 12:09 PM

30,402 posts, read 20,052,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
Ivy league schools are overrated. You can get equivalent education, maybe better in some areas, for cheaper all over the US (and the world actually). You won't get the magical 'I went to X' badge, but most people didn't go to Ivy league, so no harm there really.

It really sucks that he was accepted to all of them but couldn't go because they're asking for more than it actually is worth though. If ever there was someone who deserved to go to Ivy league, it's someone that all of them are competing to get.

You beat me to it.

Just look at the presidents we have had who attended prestigious ivy league schools.

That should tell you all you need to know about ivy league schools.

FWIW, I wonder if the same schools ever got all tingly over a white kid with the same credentials.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or